W212 Lower Control Arm Replacement DIY questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The ARB drop link! The nut at the top on the driver's side. Luckily it's the one that's vaguely accessible with the wheel on. I tightened it pretty hard. No clunks,.

As I type, I'm currently waiting for the car to get an MOT, hoping all goes OK... supposed to drive to Germany and back in a day or two...
I'm asking why it wasn't properly tightened when installed.

I don't know, perhaps I'm really weak. I know I hit a pothole recently on that side, and perhaps that didn't help the situation... in fact I'm pretty sure that was it. In any case, it should have been tighter, clearly.

I've since bought an Allen key adaptor for a socket wrench so should be able to tighten it with more force. In fact, I should now be able to torque it correctly next time (the top nut at least), but both wheels would need to be off the ground, with the car on stands.

Id get a garage to fit those arms , but good luck if your doing them. I once did a cls ,every arm ,every ball joint . Both top hats and drop links . Never again !!

Yeah, if I can afford it, I will. I suspect it'll be £400 though (4hrs), plus up to £100 for tracking (required in any case), and I need a brake fluid flush and gear box service very soon. I just bought new xenon lights and a bunch of other stuff for the car. Add the cost of these arms and ball joints, and it's all adding up a bit, just before xmas, and I'm a self-employed chap that's been heavily affected by the pandemic (and I don't do credit cards), so I'll have to see. Let's hope the MOT doesn't throw anything up.

I was even thinking of doing the lower arms & ball joints myself, as it looks 'easier' than the larger arm that requires getting the strut out, etc. But it's too cold.

Honestly, the current state of 'knocking' wouldn't be felt by most people, so it's not disastrous, but I enjoy working on my car (within my abilities) and driving my car, and want to keep it in good shape!

Last edited:
I don't know, perhaps I'm really weak. I know I hit a pothole recently on that side, and perhaps that didn't help the situation... in fact I'm pretty sure that was it. In any case, it should have been tighter, clearly.
Yes.
And there are no margins for error when it comes to the control arms.

I believe that I now have the right tools to torque things correctly, but I hear you. I would never want to pose a risk to others (or myself/my family)

I believe that I now have the right tools to torque things correctly, but I hear you. I would never want to pose a risk to others (or myself/my family)
Gotta crack eggs if you want an omelette 😋.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom