• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W212 Rear Subframe Corroded

costacor

Not a question, just some info for the group

So my w212 e350 2012 year 81k miles estate failed MOT today. Corroded subframe. Apparently common on this model

MB Colchester told me they have already contacted MB UK who have authorised to pay for it.

Obviously getting other things sorted whilst that’s out ie brake lines, rear spring link arms. MB Colchester confirmed all new bolts, brackets etc

Still a big bill, but would be much much bigger if MB UK didn’t step up. I’ve owned the car for 9 years and this is the first major repair I have done to it (save air suspension) so can’t complain really

Only issue with MB doing additional work is potentially extortionate labour costs on the other items , however if done by an indy , taking off the subframe and putting it back alone is at least 5 hours labour so it might just about be worth getting MB to do it. If you're happy to share a quote for the brakelines and other bits , it would be great as a reference point for when my car goes into MB beaconsfield

Only issue with MB doing additional work is potentially extortionate labour costs on the other items , however if done by an indy , taking off the subframe and putting it back alone is at least 5 hours labour so it might just about be worth getting MB to do it. If you're happy to share a quote for the brakelines and other bits , it would be great as a reference point for when my car goes into MB beaconsfield
Sure. The other works relating to subframe being pulled out are:

Replace self levelling sensor (modified type available) and replace rear spring link arms £643

Replace brake lines both sides £562

Prices include VAT

As a matter of interest, did the car have a full MBSH?

Sure. The other works relating to subframe being pulled out are:

Replace self levelling sensor (modified type available) and replace rear spring link arms £643

Replace brake lines both sides £562

Prices include VAT
Thanks very much, I'll think of what else can be done too. Interestingly my indy GLM is a great guy, doing the brakelines as a fresh piece of work by taking the subframe off himself was only gbp760 , Interesting that MB want to charge 560 for that without the subframe labour but it is what it is.

Update. Got the car back today all sorted. I note on the works schedule it says they used copper brake lines, I thought OEM was steel?

Anyway, a quick turn around, a week or so since the MOT test

I did ask if the new subframes being installed have fixed the rust problem but didn’t get a real answer one way or another!

It will be OK, until it rusts like the original sub frame.;)
Well that’s my point . Did they actually sort the original issue? Or are we looking at the same issue arising again in 10 years?

Probably. The replacement subframes aren't galvanized are they?
I have no idea. I understand it’s a different model number but it should be ALU not steel like before, but have no idea about the replacement

I have no idea. I understand it’s a different model number but it should be ALU not steel like before, but have no idea about the replacement
If you intend keeping the car for another 10+ years, maybe its a concern.
As you say, maybe the replacement is of better quality being a different Part# but its all guesswork, like my theory the rust will return in another 10 yrs.

Update. Got the car back today all sorted. I note on the works schedule it says they used copper brake lines, I thought OEM was steel?
Hopefully they meant copper/nickel alloy....like Kunifer. I would not accept pure copper brakes lines as they are dangerous, can work harden and snap with movement and in many countries it's illegal to use pure copper for just these reasons.

Anyway, a quick turn around, a week or so since the MOT test

I did ask if the new subframes being installed have fixed the rust problem but didn’t get a real answer one way or another!
They will not be Copper, it is far to soft and would fracture. It will be Kunifer which is a Copper /Nickel alloy.

As ALFAitalia mentioned above 👍

If you intend keeping the car for another 10+ years, maybe its a concern.
As you say, maybe the replacement is of better quality being a different Part# but its all guesswork, like my theory the rust will return in another 10 yrs.
They gave me an A class hybrid hire car . Hated it

When I got my e class back it was night a day. I appreciate these are different types of cars
They will not be Copper, it is far to soft and would fracture. It will be Kunifer which is a Copper /Nickel alloy.

yes I assumed so too as I’m aware copper

yeah im aware copper is illegal and assumed it was an alloy, my point was I thought it odd MB would fit this rather than OEM which I thought was steel

They gave me an A class hybrid hire car . Hated it

When I got my e class back it was night a day. I appreciate these are different types of cars

yes I assumed so too as I’m aware copper

yeah im aware copper is illegal and assumed it was an alloy, my point was I thought it odd MB would fit this rather than OEM which I thought was steel
Steel, as you have found out, will corrode, Kunifer is a better material so why would you want something inferior?

Plus, steel pipes cannot be supplied and fitted easily after the car is built. They too stiff and need fitting on a productions line 👍

Steel, as you have found out, will corrode, Kunifer is a better material so why would you want something inferior?

Plus, steel pipes cannot be supplied and fitted easily after the car is built. They too stiff and need fitting on a productions line 👍

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I’m very happy they put a copper alloy brake line in! My confusion is that it’s a MB dealer and MB stock brake lines are steel (or at least they were)

I have a w212 e350 estate, 2010 year, and had subframe replaced under goodwill (in 2022, at 198K miles) by MB on the same basis; car has a full MBSH but almost anything else I have done at an independent. Painfully I needed brake lines replaced a couple of years earlier and was approx an £800 job (at dealer, because was being serviced at same time). Definitely suggest anyone having the subframe dropped/removed for any reason should consider changing brake lines at same time if not already done. Engine mounts needed replacing 2021, which is also the sort of thing to check if any other cheap rubber bits etc need replacing while that expensive labour job is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom