W213 E63 stone deflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a very rough check tonight, I think they will work, seems they will match the first pin nearest the arch, but the second pin is beyond reach.
Perhaps attach with one pin and a wee drop of silicone instead of the second pin?
I'll try to get some more details and a picture tomorrow if I have time.

Cheers

Any progress yet (or are we there yet dad) ?

And still there my friend.
Currently swallowing a glass of pinot grigio.

Currently in Barcelona for 5 days after a 7 day cruise with Royal Caribbean around the Mediterranean with fantastic weather, food and wine.
Will get stuck into a template at the weekend for a test fit.
Will need to figure out how to attach the second fixing point

OK, mocked up something so as not to damage the real stone guards.
First hole nearest the edge of the wing is perfect, so trick is how to secure with only one pin. I've not removed the first pint yet or anything, but on the face of it, the arch liner seems to be secured by the pins pretty tightly.
The downside is that the wing lip on my car is very thin, no where near as much to play with as on the photo kindly supplied by Scooby_doo.
However, I wonder would the tightness be enough to rely on?

John N, the distance between the pins on my E63 look to be about 62mm also.

Another thought, I wonder, whats to stop me installing the stone guard in front of the liner, then I could actually put some kind of adhesive on the back of it and attach to the liner that way, together with the first pin to secure it, the the double sided tape to attach to the arch lip?

Going to try this I think.
Fix using outer the pin, and put it behind the arch liner, also behind the arch liner on the bodywork area, roughly in the indicated area, some kind of good silicone adhesive, like StixAll, or CT1 in the indicated area as a secondary fixing point, then use the double sided tape to bond to the stone guard to the arch lip

Attachments

• stone guard.jpg
    stone guard.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 26
Just a quick suggestion, on the way out to a party, could you fix a 50mm strip of thin aluminium to the guard so that you can use the second pin ? Sort of use the hole in the stoneguard to fix the extra strip ?
Must dash , other half giving me hassle...........

Just a quick suggestion, on the way out to a party, could you fix a 50mm strip of thin aluminium to the guard so that you can use the second pin ? Sort of use the hole in the stoneguard to fix the extra strip ?

That sounds like a good idea!:thumb:

You just run off and enjoy yourself leaving the rest of us all on our lonesome! :rolleyes:

Very good idea indeed. I had been thinking how I could extend it, I'd even contemplated getting some 4mm rally mudflaps from the bay of dreams and using the stone guard as a template, but I'm not too sure how solid that stuff would be, or if the existing pins would tolerate such thickness.

Before I begin googling for aluminium, any clues where I might find such product?

Seems the good old bay of dreams has 1 mm aluminium sheets of varying sizes for very little money.
I might order a sheet, then figure out how best to join them

Afraid not John, work has been incredibly busy since I returned from holidays.
Hasn't been forgotten about though, hoping to get a look at it this coming weekend.

No real update as such, had hatched a plan to extend the guard using a upvc floor tile, but its way too thick I think.

Have just ordered a 1mm thick sheet of aluminium from ebay - 200mm x 200mm.
Need to work out how to join a piece of the new sheet to the existing guard.
I wonder if I cut a strip which is long enough to join the two from the outer ping, through to the inner pin, and join the two bits with a silicone type adhesive.
Should be strong enough?

View attachment 88345 Photo as promised. It's fixed using the two pins , 42mm centres , from memory both holes in the stoneguard are slightly elongated. From the left hand pin to the outer edge is about 55mm
They look nice and neat i am in the hunt for a solution for mine which is a w204 amg but have had no luck yet.

Don't hold your breath!
That was on the 20th of August, and he knows exactly what car I've got, but I get a generic reply.

I will however look into the possibility of us moving up the priority of producing new ranges of arch guards. Currently we have been waiting to get the very busy season out of the way as well as get on top of other developments, as it stands we've been flat out nearly the entire year and not had a chance. I will discuss with the rest of the team next week and see if we can start to get some ideas working on creating new guards to suit other cars.

Any advance on the Template? :dk:
Well John.
I have progress, they are not fitted just yet, but I have extended the C class stone deflectors with some 1 mm aluminium purchased from ebay.
Joined the two metals with some CT1 adhesive at the weekend there, and just finished painting the aluminium.
Will get a photograph uploaded soon.

Not gonna win any awards, but it'll be hidden behind the splash guard to be fair. It's ok though, I only had a file, tin snips and a drill at my disposal

Attachments

• Deflector.jpg
    Deflector.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom