W639 3rd row of seats - HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fal_c36

I have 2 x LWB Vitos, one is a 2009 model (9 seater) and the other is a 2013 model (5 seater). I would like to turn the 2013 model into a 8 or 9 seater by fitting the 3rd row of seats, I want to do this by swapping the bits out from my other car. Are the holes pre drilled in the floor if I remove the rails from my other car, or is this more complicated ?

Anyone recommend a company that could do this for me ?

Thanks in advance.

Fal

I have 2 x LWB Vitos, one is a 2009 model (9 seater) and the other is a 2013 model (5 seater). I would like to turn the 2013 model into a 8 or 9 seater by fitting the 3rd row of seats, I want to do this by swapping the bits out from my other car. Are the holes pre drilled in the floor if I remove the rails from my other car, or is this more complicated ?

Anyone recommend a company that could do this for me ?

Thanks in advance.

Fal
It may help you with answers if you say where you are based 👍

Hi & welcome.

Are both of them Traveliners, with rear side windows? If the 5 seater is a Dualiner (with side windows in the doors only) I suspect the floor wouldn't be pre-drilled for 3rd row seats. But hopefully someone will know for sure :)

You'd need to notify the DVLA and insurer(s) of the change in number of seats ... both vehicles would then become 'modified' as far as insurance goes, which could affect the premiums.

Hi & welcome.

Are both of them Traveliners, with rear side windows? If the 5 seater is a Dualiner (with side windows in the doors only) I suspect the floor wouldn't be pre-drilled for 3rd row seats. But hopefully someone will know for sure :)

You'd need to notify the DVLA and insurer(s) of the change in number of seats ... both vehicles would then become 'modified' as far as insurance goes, which could affect the premiums.
Both have the rear side windows yes.

Both have the rear side windows yes.

I reckon there's a decent chance the rails would bolt straight in then - should be able to see if you lift whatever floor covering is in the boot area of the 5-seater.

From memory,
not all are pre drilled, couldn't say what criteria was used.
Some have indent markings for drilling, then you would be hoping the retainers are installed.

You may be lucky that by lifting the flooring
you will see holes or bungs in holes. But MB aren't generally known for making these things easy.

Tbh as they both have the rear most windows I'm surprised the rails aren't already there.

So in summary, my answer is useless.

I will have to check I guess, just thought someone might have already looked into this, or to save me time someone might be able to do it at a cost.

I will have to check I guess, just thought someone might have already looked into this, or to save me time someone might be able to do it at a cost.
Yes it has been looked into on several occasions.
Some years back a member carried out the conversion to install the rails. He cut holes on his floor to slide larger(ish) tapped plates into the double skin void if I remember.

These rails are often sold on eBay, so it's fair to surmise that others have carried out similar conversions.

But, as said, it seems to be hit and miss as to if MB have installed anything to help, There is a similar situation when Vito owners want to install roof rails.

A VIN decode would inform insurance as to what was original, regarding the number of seats at least.
I guess there is a vague chance your VIN will detail more than 5 seats even if not actually supplied at new, but I would be surprised.

Pretty sure MB only ever fitted rear side windows to Traveliners, so if those are original it would likely have had 3rd row seats.

Reactions: m80

If this link carries over ok,
it is from my 1st 639, a Traveliner.
Look at URI, US4 & US5. That show seat rails and the 2nd and 3rd row of seats.
The V5 would show 8 seat capacity, sorry I said the VIN would.

Both are dualiner if that helps.

There was no option for rear side windows or 3rd row seats on the Dualiner, which suggests that these are not original on your vehicles.

Yep the Dualiner was built to carry cargo in the back (legally a 'dual purpose vehicle'), so only ever had middle row seats & windows. The Traveliner was primarily for carrying people, so had the back row seats and windows.

You can fit the full length rails in a dualiner but trust me it's not easy. There is a massive void near the rear wheel arches with a steel bar running through it, which make it very awkward to do..

I think when you have mentioned the rear windows I'm guessing you mean in the sliding door rather than in the rear quarter?? Although I do know very late 639 dualiner did have glass all the way down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom