Warning on fake wheel badges..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bluebell

Car
SL Silver Arrow
Just as a heads-up

I bought some of these x4 ORIGINAL MERCEDES BENZ Wheel Center Caps E Class W212 W211 W210 W124 E55 AMG | eBay (seller has multiple auctions, so not this actual item number). As you will see they are genuine items in MB packaging with correct part numbers.

The delivered caps are of course very poor quality copies in small black, lableless boxes, yes I know, caveat emptor. eBay dispute started but I don't hold out much hope - a warning to others.

Why did you buy from a Japanese seller on eBay? Because they're cheap probably. What would they have cost from an MB dealer? Are they poor quality pro-rata on price? It's a risk we all take when buying on eBay to save a few bob.

Actually, they were not cheap. All the other sellers of (fake) wheel caps have photos of non-genuine items which you can see are fake, they also typically charge £10 for a set.

This listing was for real parts complete with photos of real parts, with a claim that only a few a available, it has the word genuine written all over it and the price diffenetial was such that the deal seemed real.

So yes, I know it was foolish, but there was enough information to make me think it was okay, which of course is the mark of a real con-artist.

I can see you do not need to be warned not to be taken in so easily, but others (including me) do need to be.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticising. I still need to be warned after being caught out myself on more than one occasion. I was just intimating that when that sort of thing happens you just have to shrug your shoulders, say a few naughty words, and tell yourself that at least you tried.

Anyway, good luck with your eBay dispute (and I mean that genuinely).

My apologies too if I came over as crabby - I'm rather annoyed with myself. Anyway, have just bought some genuine ones from MB for £52, lesson learnt.

I wouldn't worry as Ebay always side with the buyer and you'll get a full refund plus get to keep the centre caps.

I recently bought similar set from inchcape and a second set of fake ones from ebay for £12, and honestly the only difference was a slightly darker blue on the fake ones. Good enough for a set of winter wheel that live in the shed most of the year.

I wouldn't worry as Ebay always side with the buyer

Not true. In my experience with a dispute over authenticity, eBay expects you to prove it's a fake by providing an "expert witness" report (say from an MB dealer). Course, you would be likely to get the benefit of the doubt on the basis that your "full" refund is conditional on you paying (on a non-reimbursable basis) to return the items using a tracked delivery method (expensive).

Good find, shame they have none in stock!

Not true. In my experience with a dispute over authenticity, eBay expects you to prove it's a fake by providing an "expert witness" report (say from an MB dealer). Course, you would be likely to get the benefit of the doubt on the basis that your "full" refund is conditional on you paying (on a non-reimbursable basis) to return the items using a tracked delivery method (expensive).

Interesting. I've never had any problem before and always been given a full refund just by sending a photo of the item with a brief explanation of how to tell the item is fake.

I've stopped selling on ebay as it seemed just too easy for a buyer to make a spurious claim and be given a refund. Buying on the other hand is still fine.

Judging by the fact the seller in this case has over 2,000 transactions I'd say they are making a lot of money and wouldn't want to risk having their account frozen for the sake of a £40 refund. Time will tell.

Either way, thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Alloywheelsdirect are also a good place to buy centre caps online btw

Well, its been an interesting 24 hours. I sent the con-artist in Japan a couple of pictures showing just how different his crappy copies were to MB original centre caps and suggesting I send it with his address and eBay details to Mercedes so they could see how many he sells. I did not expect this threat to work.

He replied asking how much signed for return postage to him was, all of a sudden he seemed very keen to get them back. As they are light it worked out just under £10 using the Royal Mail's online purchase option. Ten minutes later a full refund including the return postage cost was in my PayPal account.

Mindful that this can be reversed, I've told him I'm going to post them, but the eBay case will remain open and my letter to Mercedes can have a stamp attached at any time.

This was not the outcome I was expecting, but, touch wood I do seem to have had a lucky escape.

Thanks to all those that advised - one poster said his eBay copies were quite close in terms of looks and percived quality, believe me these ones were not!

Thank you - in his e-mail advising me of the credit he stated "I am sending you the money before you send the item back as I trust my purchasers to be honest"

Oh the irony!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom