Webcam Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Several members of my family have or are in the process of emigrating - something I'm trying not to take personally. :)

To help keep in touch, I'm looking to get a webcam so we can Skype one another.

I've got my 40" Sony Bravia TV hooked up to a spare PC in my living room, so ideally would use this as that would mean I could sit on the sofa in comfort talking rather than in the study, therefore the webcam should have a built in mic, which I'm hoping would be sensitive enough to pick up normal conversation even though I'd be sat between 6 to 10 feet away?

Any suggestions or experience of webcams suitable for this? I don't mind spending a bit of money to get something good, but would obviously prefer not to if I can get away with it.

All tips gratefully received.

RC

I've used office video conferencing kit and the ones with the microphone beside the camera tend to sound muffled, but with a separate microphone on the table it was very clear. So my advice would be to get a wi-fi microphone too.

HTH

Either a MS or Logitech of at least 1.3MB resolution will be OK, although some do HD (720), but you will pay for this.....

I use this one - but only because I got it free.

Go with the seperate mic, on a table or something though....

Last edited:
The best webcams are video cameras. proper camcorders with the webcam ability through usb or similar.

the optics on them are significantly better than a webcam. might be worth tracking down one and giving it a bash.

We use Skype for the kids to talk to their grandparents in Germany, using a Logitech 1.3 MP camera & separate mic. The quality is nowhere near good enough to view on a big screen ... it's pretty rough when maximised on a 17" monitor.

onthecomputer.jpg

The high-def video links require a fast processor (multi-core) and fast internet connection. If you have both of those then that's probably the route you should be going IMO.

The PC hooked up to the TV is nothing special, just a small form factor Dell GX520 with 2GB of RAM. It normally runs well (better since I blew the dust out of it) but I suppose full screen live video could tax it.

I don't mind having a mic on the coffee table to improve speech clarity, but trailing wires would be a pain. Are wireless (I guess RF) mics available?

Minimum PC processor spec. for Skype HQ video is Core 2 Duo or a equivalent. Our PC is Pentium 4 (3 GHz, 1 GB) - not good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom