• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Weekend pleasure car to complement your AMG?

Iggu

Car
C63 AMG
IMG_2831.jpegIMG_3047.jpegJust wondering if any of my AMG owning friends also own a weekend “toy” which ticks different boxes to your AMG? My weekend pleasure car is this 28 year old VW Corrado VR6 Storm which, although it offers a completely different experience, still feels pretty fast even compared to my C63. You sit very low down and the absence of any computerised filtering or assistance makes the driving experience raw and real. The steering feel is amazing. Whereas the C63 will obliterate any given road in a mind-bending blur, the Corrado rides with the road somehow.
I love getting out of one and into the other and then driving the exact same route - the experience is totally different but equally enjoyable. These are (for me) the perfect duo.
I’m starting to think that I might just keep both these cars forever - EV cars do nothing for me at all and the Corrado has taught me that there’s a special kind of pleasure maintaining a classic long-term - which I think the C63 could be, one day.
Would love to see some other weekend pleasure toys here!IMG_3178.jpeg

View attachment 145511View attachment 145508Just wondering if any of my AMG owning friends also own a weekend “toy” which ticks different boxes to your AMG? My weekend pleasure car is this 28 year old VW Corrado VR6 Storm which, although it offers a completely different experience, still feels pretty fast even compared to my C63. You sit very low down and the absence of any computerised filtering or assistance makes the driving experience raw and real. The steering feel is amazing. Whereas the C63 will obliterate any given road in a mind-bending blur, the Corrado rides with the road somehow.
I love getting out of one and into the other and then driving the exact same route - the experience is totally different but equally enjoyable. These are (for me) the perfect duo.
I’m starting to think that I might just keep both these cars forever - EV cars do nothing for me at all and the Corrado has taught me that there’s a special kind of pleasure maintaining a classic long-term - which I think the C63 could be, one day.
Would love to see some other weekend pleasure toys here!View attachment 145507
My favourite pub!

Love the Corrado!
Jeremy Clarkson said something like “this is a genuine 24k Ferrari. If you can have more fun in a car than this, I’ll eat my socks!”

Amazing handling - and it was a front wheel drive.

So good I drove mine to Saxa Vord (apart from the ferries) 👍🏻👍🏻

My favourite pub!
Haha yeah the grub here is amazing - and the roads around it are pretty good too!

Love a Corrado...had three or four as demos when I sold VW for a crust...and owned a high miles VR6. Even the lowly 2.0 was pleasant enough.
Autocar once proclaimed it as the world's best handing front wheel drive car. I have no argument with that.

That’s a lovely car and a beautiful example 👌🏻

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Corrado, but never had the opportunity to drive one. I’ve often wondered whether you can feel the difference in weight over the nose between the regular model and the VR6?

Niiice. 😎
Owned two Corrado’s in my time, but both G60’s so can’t exactly compare, needless to say timeless shape and as said drive really well. Now in an apartment, so no room these days for anything other than my daily …

View attachment 145516
That’s a cracking car, caught from the perfect angle. For me it’s the best looking of all of the modern Mini models. I can imagine a Mini being the perfect car for enjoying the roads in your neck of the woods 👍🏻

Lovely car, the Corrado.

OP, were you overtaking in your first picture or breaking the law? 🤣

I sold my C63 Estate as it couldn't quite cut it as a do it all car. Too thirsty for family duties (annoying lack of range more than the fuel cost) and didn't handle well enough for spirited solo weekend drives.

I now have a 2011 manual 535i Touring and will be adding an S2 Elise 111S to the garage for fun. Then each car offers something totally different and is far more fit for the intended purpose.

My weekend car doesn't exactly complement the Mercedes but it does make me smile. I don't use it often enough really as, unfortunately, I spend more time working on it than driving it but it'll hopefully get there eventually.

It's a 1970 Ford Ranchero fitted with a modified 429ci (7.0 Litre) big block V8, C6 transmission and Ford 9" locker rear end. All makes for an "interesting" experience. :D

With Merc 01.jpg

Too thirsty for family duties (annoying lack of range more than the fuel cost) and didn't handle well enough for spirited solo weekend drives.
Even when driving a very thirsty car I find that either I - or my family - need to stop long before the car does, so I rarely find range an issue in the real world.

I find 2-3 hours or 200-300 miles is about right between stops, alternating between pit stops (fuel, drink, toilets) and meals (fuel, food, drink, toilets, walk).

I never drive more than 1000 miles in 24 hours, so three or four fuel stops will get me to the French Riviera or Italian Lakes, without watching the fuel level closely.

If we’re travelling across country for fun on twisty or hilly roads then we consume fuel more quickly but also stop more frequently too (as it’s more physically demanding.

Either way we find that range doesn’t really get in the way for us.

My weekend car doesn't exactly complement the Mercedes but it does make me smile. I don't use it often enough really as, unfortunately, I spend more time working on it than driving it but it'll hopefully get there eventually.

It's a 1970 Ford Ranchero fitted with a modified 429ci (7.0 Litre) big block V8, C6 transmission and Ford 9" locker rear end. All makes for an "interesting" experience. :D

View attachment 145521
What a combination 👌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom