What 'purpose' does your big AMG Saloon serve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi all,

I'm trying to rationalise the want/need for an M5/E63, but struggling a bit. I've always wanted an M5 since I was a kid, but in 2020, they're a tough thing to rationalise. Wondering what role your E63/big four door AMG plays in your driving? (I'm only really active on this car forum, so thought I'd ask here!).

Is it a daily driver, with another car for fun on weekend (i.e. really not worried about fuel)? Daily driver as only car? Perhaps you have a second car that's a diesel/4x4/'beater' to go to the shops? What about a long run, do you choose to use this (very fuel inefficient) car, or do you take a diesel Golf or whatever?

I understand that the original owners of these cars are generally wealthy people that can afford a £100k M5/E63 new/nearly new (even on finance) and therefore the petrol prices likely aren't really a factor for you - and that's great! Especially if you have a family and need the practicality of a 4 door saloon/estate, while also enjoying the performance.

But for a petrol head looking at a £10-20k 'performance' car, likely as a second car (I'd want something crap to take to Tesco), the fact that the economy on a run is so bad on a huge 'practical' car like an E63, it's a weird one to justify in my own head. Especially as I don't have kids! In a 911/small sports car, you know that economy is going to be bad and you're buying it just for fun. But doing the same on a 4 door saloon/estate seems weird.

Perhaps it would make more sense to keep the E350 diesel I already have, and buy a small car like a 'cheap' Porsche Cayman or 996... but I'll leave that for another time.

How are you guys using your big saloon AMGs?

Cheers!

Ed

I swapped from an E350CDI to an 18-month old pre-facelift Biturbo E63 which I used as a daily driver (48-mile round trip on fast A- and B-roads), for going to the shops and for longer trips. It was an absolute hoot to drive, with an ability to switch between luxury wafter and mad hooligan with a prod of the throttle.

Like you I'd agonised over whether to buy one or not (the E350CDI is, in all practical terms, a great blend of performance, economy and refinement and all anyone "needs" in a large saloon), but ultimately did so on the basis that I wanted to look back at some point in the future and say "remember when", rather than "I wish I had". I didn't regret it for one moment, and... After a couple of years I traded that car against an 11-month old ex-dem facelift Biturbo E63 that I ran for a further 3 years.

I used to driver 12-13k miles a year in each of them which meant a set of tyres every year and a good deal of 99-octane Momentum fuel. But if you're concerned about the cost of fuel, my advice is don't be. The fact is that they cost best part of £600 a year in VED + £whatever for insurance (probably best part of another £400 - £600 pa) so it will cost you £100 per month even if it stands still. You can add in about another £45 - £50 per month for servicing too. Best value is to drive the hell out of it and laugh lots while you do so. You won't regret it.

You don't need it, nobody does. You want it. I go shopping in the GT for the hell of it because the road there and back is amazing. Its everything I wanted in a car. I would never own a Porsche ( with or without the scaffold pack) as its just not me, neither would I consider any two seater/2door outside of an SLS Black Series or GT black series again. I borrowed an Aston V8 Vantage for a week, it made my mind up. Taking four adults, in more comfort, at the same sort of speeds. It's a no brainer.

Own one before the Leftwaffe make it illegal.

Hi all,

I'm trying to rationalise the want/need for an M5/E63, but struggling a bit. I've always wanted an M5 since I was a kid, but in 2020, they're a tough thing to rationalise. Wondering what role your E63/big four door AMG plays in your driving? (I'm only really active on this car forum, so thought I'd ask here!).

Is it a daily driver, with another car for fun on weekend (i.e. really not worried about fuel)? Daily driver as only car? Perhaps you have a second car that's a diesel/4x4/'beater' to go to the shops? What about a long run, do you choose to use this (very fuel inefficient) car, or do you take a diesel Golf or whatever?

I understand that the original owners of these cars are generally wealthy people that can afford a £100k M5/E63 new/nearly new (even on finance) and therefore the petrol prices likely aren't really a factor for you - and that's great! Especially if you have a family and need the practicality of a 4 door saloon/estate, while also enjoying the performance.

But for a petrol head looking at a £10-20k 'performance' car, likely as a second car (I'd want something crap to take to Tesco), the fact that the economy on a run is so bad on a huge 'practical' car like an E63, it's a weird one to justify in my own head. Especially as I don't have kids! In a 911/small sports car, you know that economy is going to be bad and you're buying it just for fun. But doing the same on a 4 door saloon/estate seems weird.

Perhaps it would make more sense to keep the E350 diesel I already have, and buy a small car like a 'cheap' Porsche Cayman or 996... but I'll leave that for another time.

How are you guys using your big saloon AMGs?

Cheers!

Ed
I'm like you, I want an AMG but which one! The 4 pots do nothing for me neither does the c class, the e and s class are to big a car for just the two of us, the SL is not going to feel much different to my 500, the CLK is an option but prices are getting too high for an early 2000's car so all that leaves is a GT and big bucks.

I've had two AMG's (C43's) and 2 E500's.

I had a petrol card when I had the C43's and so was, in theory, going to give up V8's when I changed jobs but as they just got under my skin I carried on.

I do 3,500-4,000 miles a year in the UK and the odd 1,000-1,500 when I do French trips. So any fuel cost pales into insignificance when compared to depreciation and all the rest.

My wife has a Clio (about to be replaced to a Fiat 500) for the hundreds of little urban trips.

Get a 63. They are epic.

We had a new 212 biturbo at the same time as the 212 E350 cdi.

All I can say is that the AMG will make you smile till your face hurts. It was used daily and we put 37k miles on it in 3 years going up and down the country and urban usage. Loud and angry when you want but refined and limo like too. It did everything the 350 did but with a lot more drama. The 350 is whisper quiet as you know already (we still have ours, It is probably the best car ever)

Without wanting to sound cheeky, don’t think about fuel because they really guzzle it. Maintenance on certain parts like brakes is more expensive obviously but other than that, not horrific.

Forget the M5, it’s boring as hell until you really go for it whereas the E63 gives you low down drama and up top war when you want.

There is also a diesel Golf parked outside too which does little urban things , easy to park etc.

I have a large powerful saloon (not as powerful as the equivalent AMGs) and it is my daily driver. The fact I don't do many miles does make the running of it easier to swallow but now that I have it, I wouldn't want anything else. Sure, you can get good power from a large diesel engine with much better economy but I simply love driving it on short and long runs.

As said, it's probably more of a 'want' rather than a 'need' but it does everything I want it to. The only thing I miss is the enormous boot space of the estate I had prior to my current car. I could go to wickes and pick up a kitchen worktop without having to think twice.

I did look at an E63 but ended up with an S63 non-turbo engine for the noise and powah! It is a second/third car so never goes on supermarket sweeps or any ordinary journeys as got a daily driver (focus) to use for those duties. Fuel economy? Well if that concerns you then don't bother. The big V8 can waft along or switch into hyperspace with the press of a pedal. You will find it an addictive driving experience. Just getting the key out for the car puts a smile on my face....

In my opinion, I would say the E63 is an M5 done properly. You will not regret it, but one day you will if you don't own one. 😥

Forget the M5, it’s boring as hell until you really go for it whereas the E63 gives you low down drama and up top war when you want.
Excellent advice from Harry.

M5’s are undoubtedly extremely competent, but an E63 will have you laughing out loud like an idiot...

They sound fantastic, it gets my big family around for local and longt family trips. If it wasn't an AMG I would still need a big car to get us about. So I thought I would have some quality driving pleasure.

Once you get a grip of that steering wheel and you feel the power that goes through your hands you will always remember why you made a great car purchase of an AMG.

Various reasons to buy used E63
may include....

Some don't have funds, credit score or motivation to source new, (outright or on finance).Some wish to avoid initial depreciation. Some just cant dismiss a bargain. Some like older AMG models...Some may be genuinely hooked....(even if they could better divert ownership costs elsewhere).

I have owned & two thirsty used prestige badged V8's..with shared use of an additional fun(ish) car with better MPG. At the time I genuinely couldn't bring myself to buy something less appealing to save £40 a week in fuel.....I also had a disllike for diesels, (for reasons many also do)

So why am I now in a S212 diesel ?

My personal circs have changed. I presently can't afford to buy into E63 new or used ownership & need something cheaper to own. ..Even if circs change I probably wouldn't by an E63 new or used unless no higher spending priorities, (for myself or anyone dear to me).

Last edited:
I think you can almost talk yourself out of anything in life if you concentrate solely on the numbers.

My advice would be to buy one and enjoy it if you’re able to and you want one. If you don’t like it or you feel it’s costing too much to run you can always sell it and get something else - it’s only a car :thumb:

I've been lucky in having first a W211 E55 that I thought I'd never part with, until I clapped eyes on the facelift E63 Biturbo and heard the exhaust note with the resonator cut out..
I sadly sold the E55, but haven't regretted it for a moment such is the fun you can have with an E63.

I have packed in work, so mileage is on the low side and I can go days without using the car, but it's an event when you do.
As stated, road fund licence is now ~£565pa and insurance will probably take that up to £1k a year. Then you have an annual service however few miles you do, plus tyres and fuel and occasional service parts like brakes.
They are not a cheap car to run, but my word they are worth every penny.

If you are hesitating. I'd say go for it and get one while you can. The automobile industry in the future with ev's and no V8's looks grim to me.

My CLS55 is my sensible everyday car because it's less extreme and intense than my other supercharged V8 :D

I wanted them (2 x E55K, 1 x E63 Biturbo), I could afford them, so I bought them. They were all daily drivers. I never felt the need to rationalise them...

I can rationalise the E500; it's much less likely to lose me my licence.

The SLK I suppose I could rationalise, because I don't do much mileage in it, but I wanted a convertible, I liked it, so I bought it. End of story.

Just drive one; you'll know if you want one...

Last edited:
Have a drive in one and it will make your mind up for you. You’ll either love it or conclude that you had a narrow escape. I think you’ll love it though. Try a few different models to see where in the ‘waft to hot-rod’ scale you like best. They sit at different points on the scale but all have a very broad range of capability.

You asked how existing owners have theirs. Both my wife and I have matching ‘his & hers’ V8 AMGs to do anything and everything, and whilst we have some fun cars (including less practical V8 AMGs) they all do the school run, supermarket run, takeaway run, drive out for the day, overnight drive to the South of France, and some even tow our caravan.

For me, the best thing about having a special car is using it for the most unspecial mundane everyday thing. If I had a hyper car then I would do the grocery shopping in it!

Fuel is expensive and AMGs are not particularly fuel efficient, but even if they use twice as much fuel as a fuel efficient equivalent, in terms of the overall cost of running a car - especially a modern Mercedes - it’s only a little more on top in relative terms.

Go and have a go, and never look back.

(Caveat : I walk to work, which negates fuel economy worries)

My old M5 served the purpose of making me smile every time I drove it, whether that was to the other side of the country, to the supermarket, or even to the tip. It was my only car - to me, owning something like this and then having a mundane car for mundane duties is pointless - if the fun car can do it, then do it in the fun car. And the joys of M5 / E63 etc is that they can do pretty much anything while being hooligans when you want them to
:)

As said, it's probably more of a 'want' rather than a 'need' but it does everything I want it to. T

This. I've always liked having a decent car just I've always wanted to listen to music on a decent system. It's a hobby and, in the case of a car, it literally takes you to interesting places.

A big part of that is the engine. I can forgive a car a LOT if the engine plays some great tunes. Mine is very muted compared to today's AMG's (but very similar to a 210 55) and I love hearing it at idle, at 1k in the midrange, at the red line and everywhere else.

Every now and then my & the mrs contemplate moving out to the sticks where I'd do a lot more miles and I'd maybe have to downsize to a Skoda Superb 280 or something rather dull.

So then the question becomes one of what I'd buy to have as a toy that keeps me smiling.

I have no clear idea but the candidates all have something tuneful under the bonnet whether it's an Alfa Milano, a flat six, a straight six a V6 or a V8.

Today's fantasy candidates include an SL55, an XKR and a Bertone GTV.

For me, the best thing about having a special car is using it for the most unspecial mundane everyday thing.

Fuel is expensive and AMGs are not particularly fuel efficient, but even if they use twice as much fuel as a fuel efficient equivalent, in terms of the overall cost of running a car - especially a modern Mercedes - it’s only a little more on top in relative terms.

That's a great summary. People get so hung up on the economy. But the difference between a car doing low 20's and low 30's mpg per year is about £500 per 5,000 miles. Or £10 a week. It's worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom