What's this switch for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a bit of a 'known issue' with the S/W switch leaving W active even in the S position, so I'd be cautious about playing around with it unnecessarily! There are several threads on how to take it all apart to fix the switch contacts, my R129 has gone into W mode a couple of times and it's pretty annoying.

Note also that in the standard S position the gearbox holds onto gears longer when the engine is cold, to help it warm up more quickly. W mode doesn't do this so I wouldn't personally use it on a regular basis. It works great on wet grass though (the one occasion I've used it) :)

BTB 500 said:
Note also that in the standard S position the gearbox holds onto gears longer when the engine is cold, to help it warm up more quickly.

That's why I've always left my switch alone...

PJ

Steve_Perry said:
An SL on wet grass? That sounds like a barrel of fun! :D :devil:

S.

It was "interesting"! Barely moved in "S", with the lightest touch on the throttle the wheels spun and traction control just cut the power :( When I remembered "W" mode it was perfect, moved off with no drama at all :)

Sadly I forgot to pump the suspension up (adaptive damping) for the full "butch off-roader" look ;) :D

I hit the 'raise' switch by mistake once and drove round for about an hour wondering why the car felt so odd (and no doubt looking like a complete wally as I had the hood down too)!

S = Wally
W= Silly
I would refer to your drivers handbook ???

imadoofus said:
Now I thought that was the Residual Heat switch, which uses residual engine heat to keep the cabin warm when the engine's swithced off (I don't have one)

PJ
Not quite.

On the W210, the residiual heat setting is enabled when the engine is switched off and you press the "recycle" switch. The light in the top LH corner illuminates (as opposed to bottom RH corner, which is recycled cabin air when the engine is switched on).

As said before, when the light on the "EC" button is ON, your aircon is OFF. EC stands for EConomy Mode. Most leave the aircon switched on as it doesn't make a huge difference to mpg, and it keeps all the aircon seals and parts lubricated and working. Testament to this is Grahams C230K, which has not needing regassing or aircon work since he has owed the car.

S and W have already been explained.

HTH,
Greg (former E240 owner)

hi
the car is S reg (1998 ? ) 5 speed fan a button with EC on it a button with REST on it S and W on gear shift area
so have i got this right
to turn on the AC which is realy EC leave the EC button with the red light OFF which means the AC / EC is ON
if the red light is ON the AC/EC is OFF
EC = electronic control
AC = air con
sounds confussing but sort of makes sense

EC= Economy and when the red light is illuminated the aircon is switched off and "Economy mode" is engaged. When the red light is off the Aircon is working

I think that's what you were saying

Andy

hi
the car is S reg 1998 ? yer old but perfect except for nut behind the wheel
5 speed fan ec button with a red light rest button with a red light
so have i got it right that to put ac on which realy is ec leave the ec alone cos if the red light is on the ac is off

imadoofus said:
Now I thought that was the Residual Heat switch, which uses residual engine heat to keep the cabin warm when the engine's swithced off (I don't have one)

PJ

i just realised it does depend on your car. my rest button is in the fan control. it knocks off the compressor and puts the air-con in economy mode (So I am not wrong), and it operated the residual heats for 30mins or so with the engine off.

what i forgot is that not all MB models uses dual appliaction switches, thus meaning you may have a button for each (Meaning i am wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom