• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

When you go home...

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    home
My Grandfather was wounded at the Somme, I visited the battlefields a few years ago with my brother and my son, it was a very emotional experience.

My Grandfather was wounded at the Somme, I visited the battlefields a few years ago with my brother and my son, it was a very emotional experience.

When my children are a little older I'll be taking them to the same place, my great uncles names are inscribed on the memorial there.

The older I get, the more I appreciate what was done for us by our troops in the past.

When I was a child, my great grandmother's boyfriend was a WWI veteran, who walked funny because of trench foot.

My own grandfather was a veteran of WWII, and he recounted numerous tales of the battles he was in, all for Queen and Country.

Our generation has forgotten the sacrifice that many made to secure our freedom. If they had failed, our whole way of life would be completely different.

While remembering the fallen, we should also remember than we have troops on foreign soil trying to keep the peace even in today's climate, and some of them will lose their lives protecting others.

We had a Somme100 service at our local church, and the turnout was excellent, with well over 100 people commemorating the sacrifice that those souls made for our freedom.

Total respect for those who sign up to protect our way of life.

All gave some, some gave all.

Lest we forget

My grandad served in the First War and was wounded at Arras. He lived until he was 89 but never talked about his his experiences in the trenches. However, I remember my grandma once showing me a little pill box in which he still kept the bullet they dug out of him. We owe a massive debt to the quiet unassuming heros of his generation.

This is a video I compiled from my visit to the Somme

[YOUTUBE]a-aJk6kE9zc[/YOUTUBE]

I'm currently living not far from St Symphorien cemetery near Mons. It's a small beautiful, forested place, with German as well as British and Irish graves. Ypres is also very moving as are the quieter, lesser known sites dotting Flanders and Hainaut.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom