Where do you buy your oil from

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm pretty sure that I just ordered the service kit from eBay; MB of Newcastle.

Oil, and oil filter - £50
Air filters - £40
Was that as a package, could you send item number if possible as I could only find a diesel package

If you decide to go with Mobil 1, it's less than £60 for 10 litres in Costco.
I wan originally going to go for Mobil but after finding out about the Mercedes oil I will go for that.

Do you need a business to shop at Costco out of curiosity

In the olden days I used to buy Mobil1 from Costco. From memory it was ~£24 for 4L.

I reckon that these days MB-branded oil (Petronas?) from a dealer or off eBay is cheapest.

Be careful buying oil on eBay.

I buy mine from eBay, but you have to super careful.

You might be surprised at how much fake oil there is out there. The counterfeiters are very, very good at copying the branded containers.

Spending a few minutes checking out the seller is advisable. If possible stick to the Mercedes-Benz franchised dealers, such as those linked in this thread.

Cheap genuine oil is great, but no one wants to be pouring counterfeit oil into their engines.

Cheers for replies guys. I assume the oil you linked Chrisk is what I would get if Mercedes serviced my car, that's sooo much cheaper lol.

Not a member of Costco unfortunately

You're welcome and it looks like everyone is helping you out too. You can drop Mercedes Newcastle and email with your vin number they'll make sure you get the right spec for your car.

Good call on the oil pump too make life so much easier for an oil change and in one of the posts someone has recommended an oil filter wrench they're great for your own oil changes.

Just remember to warm your car up before doing it so the oil flows better or you'll be there all day thinking the pump is broken. :thumb:

Cheers markjay
Be careful buying oil on eBay.

I buy mine from eBay, but you have to super careful.

You might be surprised at how much fake oil there is out there. The counterfeiters are very, very good at copying the branded containers.

Spending a few minutes checking out the seller is advisable. If possible stick to the Mercedes-Benz franchised dealers, such as those linked in this thread.

Cheap genuine oil is great, but no one wants to be pouring counterfeit oil into their engines.
Will be buying from mercedes benz newcastle, they seem legit :) cheers
You're welcome and it looks like everyone is helping you out too. You can drop Mercedes Newcastle and email with your vin number they'll make sure you get the right spec for your car.

Good call on the oil pump too make life so much easier for an oil change and in one of the posts someone has recommended an oil filter wrench they're great for your own oil changes.

Just remember to warm your car up before doing it so the oil flows better or you'll be there all day thinking the pump is broken. :thumb:
Cheers for the extra tips, i watched this vid, made it look easy so thought why not give it a go :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The standard price for oil is very competitive over the counter at MB. Hence all the cryptic specifications rather than the usual 10w 40 bit that we are all used to. Is it synthetic oil or semi synth ? Not sure I’m that bothered. Happy to know the designed lubrication system is in spec.

One the oil extraction route, this technology is great but only really worth it if getting under there to take the plug out is a problem. I went for one due to the heavy sump plate but sucking out 12l of oil took some time even with a compressor powered extractor. The oil filter on mine is better removed using a socket on the inner hex.

Hopefully it won't take to long with pump especially as mine is a hand pump. But hey least I get a good arm workout at the same time, saves going to gym that day hahaha. Cheers for advice, appreciated :)

Good video but not perfect.
Would never contemplate a DIY OIL+FILTER without a dipstick!:eek:
Never liked CASTROL products after their court case in the US over their use of the word "synthetic" which they won by the way.:p It hinged round the definition of synthetic which untill then had generally hinged round the composition of the oil rather than Castrol's definition which relied more on how it was made leading to oils having widely different compositions both described as synthetic. o_O

Noticing that more and more on the forum are tackling their own oil changes, consider these >> oil safe containers - Google Search
as part of your tool kit.
They are the industry standard for maintaining cleanliness, take the guess work out of re-filling with the correct amount and reduce spillage to zero. Consider buying your oil in 20l drums, decant by the no-spill 'rolling' method into the Oil Safe jars and you are doing it more professionally than your MB dealer will be.

I do need 2 air filters also so will see if any of them have got them and see what price difference is. Cheers

Until my recent retirement, I had an account with Millers Oils in Huddersfield.
They were always great to deal with.
I used to buy Millers Diesel Ecomax fuel additive in 5 litre cans and engine oil - as well as other industrial products ... all at a very good price.

I still have a stock of their diesel additive (hopefully, a lifetime's supply).

Regarding engine oil - I guess from now on, it's Euro Car Parts - where I get most of my service parts .
They may or may not be the cheapest, but it's all in one place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom