Where to fix a Sanef Toll tag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CRBXF

Car
C300h AMG Premium +
So, have just received my toll tag ready for France in a couple of weeks time.

The instructions say on the shaded bit of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror - but on my C Class that is all taken up with the sensors for the lights and wipers.

Where has anyone else put theirs?

Thanks in advance...

There are a couple of photo's of where I mounted our Sanef tag on Angie's SLK55 in the first post of the thread here.

I was a bit worried that it may not be recognised due to the rest of the gubbins twixt it and the glass, but it works fine.

MoHo windscreens obviously give lots more scope but believe the instructions do give a few alternatives, anywhere top third centre that doesn't obstruct view will be acceptable and readable.

I just leave mine in the door pocket and hold it up to the windscreen as I get near the toll. Works fine. I don't attach it to the windscreen since I take different cars occasionally over to France.

I just leave mine in the door pocket and hold it up to the windscreen as I get near the toll. Works fine. I don't attach it to the windscreen since I take different cars occasionally over to France.

A sensible and flexible option.
Otherwise, stick it adjacent to the shaded area.

Mine goes next to rear view mirror mainly in shaded area. Works fine. Alternatively wind window down and hold it outside as you go through!

Also it always seems to take a little while longer at the first toll.... with the typical nervous wait to see if it works

The manual (yes, I have read it!) says that the W213 screen is infrared reflective, and the signal will only pass through certain areas. Reading this thread, it seems that may be a bit of an exaggeration, as it works for other people without direct line of sight. Has anyone used the card with an infrared reflective screen, and if so, where's the best place for it?

I just hold mine up to the screen as I approach the toll, never failed yet. If you have a convertible I wouldn't mount it on the screen as these things can be pinched if you leave the top down and forget to unmount the tag.

The manual (yes, I have read it!) says that the W213 screen is infrared reflective, and the signal will only pass through certain areas. Reading this thread, it seems that may be a bit of an exaggeration, as it works for other people without direct line of sight. Has anyone used the card with an infrared reflective screen, and if so, where's the best place for it?
The manual for my C215 had a diagram with the locations of windows in the infrared reflective film where tags should be mounted. I never had any issues with mine on any of my roadtrips.

When I first got my Sanef tag I was advised by my French colleagues NEVER to attach it to the windscreen. It seems they are (were?) the cause of the most car break-ins in France.

I just hold mine up to the windscreen when I get near, BUT be careful - when I first got it I got lazy and used to hold it out of my window if the window was open, and that worked fine except for one day when it operated the barrier in the lane to the right of me, and once it's worked it won't work again until the next barriers (don't ask me why). By the time I had reversed some Johnny Frenchman had pi**ed through and the barrier was down again. I had to sheepishly reverse again and go to a payment booth.

I learnt my lesson!

I just place it on top of the dash going through the tolls. Worked every time so far. It may be of interest to some that the latest Telepass tags (smaller white ones) for Italy now also work in France (and Spain or Portugal) but the French ones don't work in Italy! If like me you have both keep one well screened from the sensors or you could end up being charged twice in France

Also it always seems to take a little while longer at the first toll.... with the typical nervous wait to see if it works
An excell by point. Even when you know this is the case it’s still a very uncomfortable few seconds!

Enjoy your trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom