Which Soft99 to go for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was the non-reducing nature of the particles in the Nanotech SST that piqued my interest. This allowed me to vary the choice of polishing pad to alter the degree of abrasion whilst the cutting power of the polish remained constant. Given that you can't put back what you've taken off, it is wise to start with the least abrasive pad and see if it is producing the desired result. If your clearcoat needs minimal correction then your blue pad will be fine. The green pad is slightly coarser and is actually the one Mercedes use for any corrective work on their production lines. Here a link to help you get a grip on Hex-Logic pad selection:

A Guide to Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Pads

Given that 99% of the gloss is actually achieved at the polishing stage you could put that blue pad to use for a final jewelling polish if you are sufficiently OCD. This is where you let the DA traverse the clearcoat using just its own weight whilst your hand supports and guides it. This allows you to achieve a crisper finish prior to adding your protection.

Thank you for all the great advice Toobad this is really interesting stuff !

So i could use the green pad with the Nano tech first then switch it up to the blue for that finishing shine and let the pads and the weight of DA do all work in removing the fine scratches and swirls.

Would you then use the Poorboys Glaze followed by the Fusso Coat ?

All the stuff arrived at work yesterday including the BH Korrosol and Black hole glaze but i was already using them on my bosses Amorak.

IMG_0407.JPG

Looks like you are totally ready to rock 'n roll. Hopefully the green pad with the Nanotech SST will give you a full correction. If it doesn't leave a finish to your satisfaction you have the option of masking the remnants with the Blackhole glaze or stepping up to a more serious polish, something like Scholl Concepts S20 Black which is an amazing All-in-One and would suit your green pad perfectly. You could still refine with the blue pad and SST for that retina-searing gloss.

Looks like you are totally ready to rock 'n roll. Hopefully the green pad with the Nanotech SST will give you a full correction. If it doesn't leave a finish to your satisfaction you have the option of masking the remnants with the Blackhole glaze or stepping up to a more serious polish, something like Scholl Concepts S20 Black which is an amazing All-in-One and would suit your green pad perfectly. You could still refine with the blue pad and SST for that retina-searing gloss.

Thanks Again Toobad i ordered the nanotech yesterday from there site so hopefully it'll arrive soon if not i still have 100 other things to do around the car while i wait.

Gav's thread has inspired me to get the wheels and wheel arch liners off to clean and get some waxoyl under as well as any bit of metal that derserves a healthy coating of waxoyl or hammerite.

If i get a chance i'll be in the the engine bay also for a clean up, i have spruced it up a bit but only on the surface but i'd like to go a bit deeper.

Once again thanks for all the help and advice guys it really helps boost confidence with things like this.

You need a grey pad (extremely soft) also for finishing/residue removal and also "brightening" seriously... you will see a difference :thumb:

Don't Waxoyl - upgrade to either Bilt & Hamber OR Dinitrol.. Far superior..

A grey pad you say what would you use with it? or just use it to buff?

Re the waxoyl i think i'm one of the lucky ones where the body is galvinized i have been around and under and can't much going on, apart from a very small amount on the boot lid under the lip which i plan to adress at some point but it is very small at the moment.

I was just to warm up the tin and brush it on any linkages and other bits and pieces of the like plus under the wheel arches depending on what i find when the plastic comes off to act a water barrier.

With the BH stuff do you mean Dynax ? I was looking at that but went with the waxoyl for no other reason than it was a bit cheaper.

Ok so the Nanotech is here :D

I'm a bit late to order anything else as i plan to start Monday once i have spent the weekend with the kids.

I have week off next week (first time off since last August) and i'm going to crack on with the car.

I'm a little on the fence with the waxoyl now after some research last night so i picked up some smooth hammerite that i'll apply to any shiny bits i feel might benifit from it and i'll let you know how i get on with the Nanotech.

I think I may start a project thread but had a good go at the front arches today and got them nice and clean.
I didn’t find anything unexpected until I unblocked the drainage pipe from the windscreen which was totally choka with all sorts of nasties.
After cleaning I just went for the hammerite in the end and sprayed everything behind the wheel arch covers plus the callipers which I’ll get some pics of tomorrow.
Then finished off with a snow foam, TBW, and used the g3 clay mit to remove the over spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom