Windows 7 - hosts file

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
We use hosts files to block some sites....but this method does not seem to wrk in W7.........from a brief google, it appears you cannot block website usings Hosts file in Windows 7, or MS has changed the search order for the hosts file.... any ideas ?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t721364.html
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=131043

We have several PC's on the network, but need to block just one from XX sites.......(think home network, tennage daughters). I do not want to install netnanny, etc type software, nor do I want to block it at the router, as others need access to the blocked sites......

Just to be sure, have you rebooted since editing the hosts file?

I have mine edited for some domain names that I run locally for testing, and they never work until I have done a reboot :)

You don't need to reboot - just flush the dns cache....(start, run, ipconfig /flushdns)......

Once you've been to a site (XP, Vista) it caches the address/IP address......but yes, I've tried this anyway on W7, and it still does not work.....

I have just tried it on mine and it still works fine. I added to the hosts, flushed the cache, restarted firefox and it happily redirects to my local server.

I've attached a screenshot to show you my hosts file in case there is something else wrong with yours perhaps. (This is Win 7 RC by the way)

Attachments

• hosts.jpg
    hosts.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Ive tried it and it works; Due to a recent update Apple are stopping you signing your own files, thus you cannot jailbreak IPhones anymore. That is unless you point Itunes towards another server that it thinks is Apple. ;-)

This is where I added a host file and it does work.

Just double checked....nope still not working ! although I'm using the proper US release version, but this should not make a difference, and IE8....(which might)...

Mine work in IE8 too. Like you say though, there may be something different with the release version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom