• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wipers not working

iveco

Car
SLK 200 R171
Hi guys hope someone can help ?
I was checking my car pre mot everything was fine .. Wipers working ok except one washer nozzle had come loose , clipped that back in , topped up the water bottle .
Now the wipers and washers will not work any clue please cant find any blown fuses .
Mot is tomorrow .

Did you have the doors closed when you did your final test?

Hi yes i have just gone and tried again now the washers are working but not the wipers ..
I remember what happened with the wipers i put them on and when i got out of car they stopped now wont work at all

Hi yes i have just gone and tried again now the washers are working but not the wipers ..
I remember what happened with the wipers i put them on and when i got out of car they stopped now wont work at all
I can hear a faint click when i put the wipers on but nothing happens everything else on the stick works indicators ,high beam washers ... just the wipers . Tried disconnecting battery for 30 mins but didn't help .

I can hear a faint click when i put the wipers on but nothing happens everything else on the stick works indicators ,high beam washers ... just the wipers . Tried disconnecting battery for 30 mins but didn't help .
Just checked the fuses again and all ok ...... Any thoughts on this ... all i did is get out of car with them on which is when they stopped ..filled washer bottle .. i did push the wipers back down again .. and try them with bonnet open .. but even with bonnet closed door closed nothing Please someone help !!!

Everything must be closed for the wipers to function.

Sounds very odd but it could be the front SAM has failed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply .. it is odd ..ive disconnected the battery to see if it will reset the ECU was working fine until i got out of car with them on .

I am not sure if your car has door pin switches? It may be worth checking the interior lights come on and off with the doors opening and closing. If the ECU thinks a door is open it will halt the wipers.

I am not sure if your car has door pin switches? It may be worth checking the interior lights come on and off with the doors opening and closing. If the ECU thinks a door is open it will halt the wipers.
Thanks again yes it has door pins .. which work on the windows going up down few mill as it should but the interior light is doing nothing and the door lights nothing ...... it used to come on when you opened door and slowly fade out on closer ... does work on the console so power getting to them .

Okay. So it sounds like the issue that the door pins are not telling the ECU that the door is closed. Have you got any electrical switch cleaner? A squirt of that into each pin may do the trick. You can try and pull the pins out from the door frame. Be careful here, it is easy to lose the wires back behind the hole when you do this (in some cars) A piece of string or a tie wrap can be handy to put through the wiring while you work.

Now you may have a dead door pin that needs replacing? That should be checked by simply opening closing each door to check which ones operate the interior lights and which one does not? A new door pin may not be that expensive if you wanted to bypass the cleaning route?

Okay. So it sounds like the issue that the door pins are not telling the ECU that the door is closed. Have you got any electrical switch cleaner? A squirt of that into each pin may do the trick. You can try and pull the pins out from the door frame. Be careful here, it is easy to lose the wires back behind the hole when you do this (in some cars) A piece of string or a tie wrap can be handy to put through the wiring while you work.

Now you may have a dead door pin that needs replacing? That should be checked by simply opening closing each door to check which ones operate the interior lights and which one does not? A new door pin may not be that expensive if you wanted to bypass the cleaning route?
The door pins seem to be working on the windows press them in and out and windows react lights on bottom of doors not coming on at all or centre light . . Would a squirt of WD40 behind switches work as a cleaner ?

The door pins seem to be working on the windows press them in and out and windows react lights on bottom of doors not coming on at all or centre light . . Would a squirt of WD40 behind switches work as a cleaner ?

WD40 can cause more harm than good as it will attract dust at a later date. I would really try and get some switch cleaner from Maplins or the like?

But... If the PIns are operating the windows but NOT the lights I am getting confused as that suggests that there is something else in the circuit that disables the lights and wipers. We could be bac looking at the Front SAM again. That would require STAR to be connected.

I remain uncomfortable that this all started when you opened a door. That suggests that the door or the door pin is the trigger.

Anybody else?

Hi guys hope someone can help ?
I was checking my car pre mot everything was fine .. Wipers working ok except one washer nozzle had come loose , clipped that back in , topped up the water bottle .
Now the wipers and washers will not work any clue please cant find any blown fuses .
Mot is tomorrow .

Wild suggestion! The Bonnet Closed Switch is not being depressed enough to allow the Wipers to activate and sweep, the Wipers were working. but the Washer was not. you opened the Bonnet to reattach the Wiper Nozzle. closed the Bonnet and the Wipers won't work! :rolleyes:

Wild suggestion! The Bonnet Closed Switch is not being depressed enough to allow the Wipers to activate and sweep, the Wipers were working. but the Washer was not. you opened the Bonnet to reattach the Wiper Nozzle. closed the Bonnet and the Wipers won't work! :rolleyes:

+1

Hi Abs are you stalking me by any chance?

I have exactly the same fault on my car, although not as desperate as your situation..

Not saying you have the same fault but it may be this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know mines is and am on the path to rectifying it and awaiting new stalk & motor...

Link… http://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/w204-electrical-gremlin-help.231856/#post-2549731

In the link above the chap had multiple electronic problems, when he unplugged all the front SAM connections he noticed some corrosion, after plugging all the SAM connections back in, everything started working again..

If both doors pins aren't triggering whatever is supposed to work when either door is open then Bruce's SAM suggestion may be worth checking out, you seem to have more than one fault.

Dec

Hi Abs are you stalking me by any chance?

I have exactly the same fault on my car, although not as desperate as your situation..

Not saying you have the same fault but it may be this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know mines is and am on the path to rectifying it and awaiting new stalk & motor...

Lol Dave, it’s not my car that has the issue pal! Haha :)

WD40 can cause more harm than good as it will attract dust at a later date. I would really try and get some switch cleaner from Maplins or the like?

But... If the PIns are operating the windows but NOT the lights I am getting confused as that suggests that there is something else in the circuit that disables the lights and wipers. We could be bac looking at the Front SAM again. That would require STAR to be connected.

I remain uncomfortable that this all started when you opened a door. That suggests that the door or the door pin is the trigger.

Anybody else?
I know its very confusing i will try and explain again .
I was checking everything for the mot .. Sat inside car tried wipers fine .. pulled bonnet catch and got out and noticed wipers had stopped midway . Stupidly i forced them back down again .... replaced the washer pipe that had come loose and filled water bottle ... got back in car with bonnet still up washers or wipers not working .. put bonnet down washers ok but no wipers . .. i never knew about the everything needs to be closed rule .
The door pins work fine on windows but no interior light or door lights come on but did before ... sorry for being such a pain .

Yes that's correct please see my more detailed reply and thanks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom