• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wipers not working

WD40 can cause more harm than good as it will attract dust at a later date. I would really try and get some switch cleaner from Maplins or the like?

But... If the PIns are operating the windows but NOT the lights I am getting confused as that suggests that there is something else in the circuit that disables the lights and wipers. We could be bac looking at the Front SAM again. That would require STAR to be connected.

I remain uncomfortable that this all started when you opened a door. That suggests that the door or the door pin is the trigger.

Anybody else?
As an after thought when i filled the water bottle i popped the hose pipe in very low and it did overflow but was not gushing out all over the front fuse box if that is the SAM .

That's a different situation, maybe not an electrical fault at all, perhaps you have possibly detached the wiper linkage from the wiper motor when you forced the wipers down. It must have taken some force to push the wipers down if the were stopped in mid sweep.

Open the bonnet, and get someone to operate the wipers on Speed 2, that's the slow speed, while you listen outside for the hum of the wiper motor. You need to be in a quiet place as there won't be much noise from the wiper motor if it is disconnected from the wiper linkage.

Edit; Sorry, the bonnet will have to be shut while you try the above.

Dec

Last edited:
Another update just been out to try again and door / interior lights now working but still no wipers

That's a different situation, maybe not an electrical fault at all, perhaps you have possibly detached the wiper linkage from the wiper motor when you forced the wipers down. It must have taken some force to push the wipers down if the were stopped in mid sweep.

Open the bonnet, and get someone to operate the wipers on Speed 2, that's the slow speed, while you listen outside for the hum of the wiper motor. You need to be in a quiet place as there won't be much noise from the wiper motor if it is disconnected from the wiper linkage.

Edit; Sorry, the bonnet will have to be shut while you try the above.

Dec
It wasn't that hard and didn't hear anything give .. (stupid thing to do in the first place ) will give that a go thanks

Another update just been out to try again and door / interior lights now working but still no wipers
Take it i am checking the right fuses but all seem ok .

Wild suggestion! The Bonnet Closed Switch is not being depressed enough to allow the Wipers to activate and sweep, the Wipers were working. but the Washer was not. you opened the Bonnet to reattach the Wiper Nozzle. closed the Bonnet and the Wipers won't work! :rolleyes:
Yes that's correct

It wasn't that hard and didn't hear anything give .. (stupid thing to do in the first place ) will give that a go thanks
Hi no noise coming from the wiper motor

You could try reversing what you did when you pushed the wipers down, try pulling the wipers upwards , just 2 or 3 inches might do, have the key out of ignition if you try this.

Dec

You could try reversing what you did when you pushed the wipers down, try pulling the wipers upwards , just 2 or 3 inches might do, have the key out of ignition if you try this.

Dec
Hi yes i have done that really baffling was working fine before and never had any problems with them .

I’m thinking that the clue is in the forcing of the wipers. I am assuming that the arms sit on splined spindles that are driven by a single arm or cam to the motor. I think that linkage needs inspection.

Dec. How can the bonnet pin be checked/ tested? Is that possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking that the clue is in the forcing of the wipers. I am assuming that the arms sit on splined spindles that are driven by a single arm or cam to the motor. I think that linkage needs inspection.

Dec. How can the bonnet pin be checked/ tested? Is that possible?

Thanks i cant hear the wiper motor running and plenty of resistance on wipers both move together by hand ... it was a stupid thing to do without thinking

Bruce, he doesent have a bonett pin switch, there would be a bonett switch for the alarm, someone mentioned it earlier. It's inside the bonnet lock mechinasim.
It is probably used to tell the wiper the bonett is open.

One way of testing it is to lock the car with the remote fob while the bonett is open, the hazards should flash 2 times instead of the usual 3 times to alert the driver to the fact the bonett is open.

Same with a door, if you leave a door open and lock the car the hazards will flash twice instead of 3 times.

Dec

Bruce, he doesent have a bonett pin switch, there would be a bonett switch for the alarm, someone mentioned it earlier. It's inside the bonnet lock mechinasim.
It is probably used to tell the wiper the bonett is open.

One way of testing it is to lock the car with the remote fob while the bonett is open, the hazards should flash 2 times instead of the usual 3 times to alert the driver to the fact the bonett is open.

Same with a door, if you leave a door open and lock the car the hazards will flash twice instead of 3 times.

Dec

Thanks Dec

That sounds like a plan.

I’m running out of ideas. I have no idea if forcing the wipers could damage the SAM?

But it seems a good bet that the forcing and the fail are linked either mechanically or electrically.

Thanks Dec

That sounds like a plan.

I’m running out of ideas. I have no idea if forcing the wipers could damage the SAM?

But it seems a good bet that the forcing and the fail are linked either mechanically or electrically.

It does seem to be related to the forced movement of the wiper arm's, too much of a coincidence, moving the arm's by hand will turn the motor as well, however, I think the the motor should have recovered from that episode on its own. It's a mystery!

Dec

I know its so frustrating my own fault i know ... my hazards flash 3 times with the bonnet open or shut .

What about if you leave a door open, will it still flash 3 times?

Dec

Reading DEC’s post that suggests the car thinks a door is open??

No, it suggest the car thinks the door or bonett is closed, that assumes the car alarm is in full working order.

Dec

What year is the R171?

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom