Wireless Network Extension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
[Sorry put this post in wrong section originally]

I have a new BT Infinity installation, upgraded from total broadband.

Having dispensed with the HH3 because of its refusal to allow me to connect another via a cable to create a wifi access point to extend my wireless network, I have a new router connected to the openreach modem which is much better performance-wise. The HH3 on Infinity was rarely bettering my old Netgear ADSL router on Total Broadband [albeit the upload speed was better].

I now have a Netgear WDNR3400 router connected to the BT Infinity modem, serving as my main wireless hub. It is connected via powerline plugs to the old Netgear DGND3300 router acting as a wifi range extender in a remote part of the house. The set up is roughly as follows:

Hub [WDNR3400]
DCHP routing on
IP address 192.168.1.1
IP range 192.168.2 - 200
Utilising 2.4GZ [ch11] SSID=Wifi1 and 5GHz[ch36] SSID=Wifi2 signals
Guest networks on
SSID broadcasting off

Slave [DGND3300]
DCHP routing off
IP address 192.168.1.201
Utilising 2.4GZ [ch5] SSID=Wifi1 and 5GHz[ch44] SSID=Wifi2 signals
SSID broadcasting on

The intention was to achieve relatively seamless switching between wifi networks with high demand devices using the 5GHz network and low demand on the 2.4GHz network but with all devices able to switch freely between 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. It is not working out that way and there are blackouts occurring where even though the devices are clearly switching from the weaker to stronger signal there is often no internet connectivity. I have tried manually switching during these internet blackouts but the devices sort themselves out eventually [normally within a couple of minutes] but that rather defeats the object.

I am not gifted with much IT expertise but am confused because this setup is replicating what was running perfectly before using the DGND3300 as the hub on a ADSL connection and a HH2 router as the slave. The only difference now is that I am now utilising the dual band capability rather than just single band before.

Any help on changing the necessary settings on the routers to make this work better would be appreciated or are these black holes inevitable?

Thanks

Sean

Hi

"DCHP routing on
IP address 192.168.1.1
IP range 192.168.2 - 200"

looks wrong, your IP address should be within your IP range, plus

"Slave [DGND3300]
DCHP routing off
IP address 192.168.1.201"

- IP address is also outside your range

Or are you trying to subnet?
cheers

I run something similar but have 3 wireless routers and also use Powerline as well as just RJ45 cat5 cabling connecting them directly.

To simplify all of this I would set your DHCP range o. Your main gateway to 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254

Make sure you set your IP addresses for your 2 routers as non DHCP ... And set them as .1 and .2 respectively.

Set the default gateway on the 2nd gateway to be the first Gateway - you don't mention default gateways

I wouldn't bother with the 2.4/5ghz stuff ..just pick up the strongest signal. I also wouldn't run it as an extended wireless network , I forget the term that describes it , but set the, as 2 separate networks and just use the same password on both but tell people to pick the strongest network wherever they are ... Doesn't cause my lot a problem (there are 5 kids in here and LOADS of wireless devices)

Simple first ... Get it working simply then try to get it flying would be my advice...

Default gateways? Ah now you've stumped me - I did mention I'm not that IT savvy...

With DCHP off on the second router can I set the IP range [the boxes turn grey when I uncheck DCHP]?

Last edited:
ShinyF1 said:
Default gateways? Ah now you've stumped me - I did mention I'm not that IT savvy...

With DCHP off on the second router can I set the IP range [the boxes turn grey when I uncheck DCHP]?

You need to turn of DHCP Server .... And put a manual IP address in for the router...

The Default Gateway will be , probably , the 3rd IP address you need to enter on both routers..

So router one

IP address 192.168.1.1. / subnet mask 255.255.255.0. / default gateway ...is 192.168.1.1. / DNS Servers are whatever your ISP gives you (google BT DNS servers for the address)
DHCP Server should be on
DHCP address range 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254

Router 2
IP address 192.168.1.2 / subnet mask and default gateway as above as so with DNS servers although strictly speaking your gateway will resolve requests to its DNS servers but it does no harm
DHCP Server off

And away you go...

Set DHCP on on all your devices .... Jobs a good un...

You need to turn of DHCP Server .... And put a manual IP address in for the router...

The Default Gateway will be , probably , the 3rd IP address you need to enter on both routers..

So router one

IP address 192.168.1.1. / subnet mask 255.255.255.0. / default gateway ...is 192.168.1.1. / DNS Servers are whatever your ISP gives you (google BT DNS servers for the address)
DHCP Server should be on
DHCP address range 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254

Router 2
IP address 192.168.1.2 / subnet mask and default gateway as above as so with DNS servers although strictly speaking your gateway will resolve requests to its DNS servers but it does no harm
DHCP Server off

And away you go...

Set DHCP on on all your devices .... Jobs a good un...

Where do i set default gateway on router 2 - it doesn't seem to be configurable [no access to it now but will check later]

This is the set up page for router 2 [from the manual not my current settings]:

There isn't a default gateway option to configure - will it pick up the gateway from router 1 automatically?

Last edited:
Deleted.

ShinyF1 said:
This is the set up page for router 2 [from the manual not my current settings]:

There isn't a default gateway option to configure - will it pick up the gateway from router 1 automatically?

Not usually .... It needs to know where to go to exit the network... Which router is it and I will go check the manual and advise..

Don't bother. I've just changed the DHCP range on the hub to your suggestion and it seems to have settled down [on my laptop at least]. Now to check every device

Thankyou for the assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom