World's fastest Vito ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Ideal for making urgent deliveries :D

[YOUTUBE]47xGT2nr39k[/YOUTUBE]

I never really understand why drag racers make cars that will be disadvantaged by aerodynamics.
Surely the whole concept is to go as quickly as you can, so build a car that optimises weight saving and drag reduction.

Overall 1/4 mile in 9.5s wasn't too bad, but 8.5s would be better. 150mph plus is where the thrill really starts.

I guess there's an element of fun in making something improbable go so fast. A bit like the Volvo 850 estate touring cars

volvo_850_btcc.jpg

I thought they were chosen because they had a lower cd than the saloon?

I thought they were chosen because they had a lower cd than the saloon?

Apparently the same at 0.33. Theoretically the estate weighs more, but as a racing car, possibly not.

I think it was a marketing ploy to demonstrate that a Volvo estate can be sporty.

I remember claims of technical advantages, but I agree with DM that it was purely marketing. They only ran 850 estates for the first year - saloons after that.

The first clip - watch the back end of the green car on the right at 0.48s...

That's good loss of tractionage.

I guess there's an element of fun in making something improbable go so fast. A bit like the Volvo 850 estate touring cars
This. I do the odd bit of fabrication for the aircooled VW crowd and last year was asked to make a dry sump tank for a type 2 bay window :crazy:. Turned out the guy kept bashing his deep sump on sarf London speed bumps. OK high 14s/low 15s doesn't sound impressive... but in a camper van with full Danbury conversion (cooker, fridge etc) :D

Re the Volvo touring cars... wasn't the story something like the roof line of the estate gave more downforce (or probably less lift)? If the switch to the saloon occured when wings were introduced then perhaps it could have been as much for tech reasons as marketing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom