• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wot! Still no Mercedes?

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Bentley Bentayga D V8, BMW i3
I have no real justification for buying this car, it’s simply an indulgence.
02.jpeg
The sticker price is not what I paid.

The Volvo V90 was a great car and fulfilled all my needs and requirements, but perhaps not all my ‘wants’.

So why buy something different and still not a Mercedes?

Firstly, I was mightily impressed with the latest Bentley cars when I did a little work for them in January. The VW group platform sharing means much of the technology is available under a number of brand names. The latest ‘mild hybrid’ 48v electrical architecture is joint development with slightly different flavours among the VW prestige brands, and it can do some very clever things.

Secondly, I came into a little money just as the lockdown was starting. At that point many new and almost new cars were trapped in the dealer network with the showrooms closed.

Dealers were than anxious to turn these into cash, driving prices down.

The Audi A8 shares much of the same mechanical and virtual platform as Bentley, and I had test driven one in March and concurred with most of the S Class vs A8 comparisons that the Audi was the more refined car. The car’s quicker brother the S8 is being spoken about as one of the best cars in the world. Period.

I narrowed my search down to a less than one-year old S line spec car with comfort and sound pack at a sensible cost. This one is just 6 months old (but only 3 months use due to lockdown), on 3k miles, and still with 30 months manufactures warranty. I struck a cash deal of 50% of its RRP on a car at Hereford Audi. It just happened to be in my favourite blue colour and wasn’t suffering the ride penalty of 20” or 21” wheels.

Both my wife and I drove the car and agreed that even if it wasn’t an estate (or even an SUV!) the refinement was on a different level. Swift and silent…until 700 watts of B & O sound system is turned up!
03.jpeg
It is crammed full of the latest tech including adaptive cruise, 360deg cameras, adaptive air suspension, acoustic glazing, Matrix LED lamps and….how long have you got?
s-l1600.jpeg
I know that the more kit a car has, the more there is to go wrong (hence the warranty) but this is not the first A8 I have owned.
1d0290b74ea14e65a3e8408a01ac3105.jpeg
Beyond all that, whilst we were testing the Bentley Le Mans car drivetrain at Audi Sport Neckarsulm (where the A8 is built) I have a vivid memory of seeing an A8 Quattro on an outdoor dyno running a 24/7 accelerated durability schedule without any service what so ever from new. It even had a robot fuel filler so nobody went near it. As I left the facility it was closing in on 200k kms with absolutely no service intervention and was still sounding as healthy as ever.

Note to self: Don’t let humans near your car!

No, I don’t actually need an OLED tv, or OLED taillamps in my car, but I do enjoy the technology.

watch

Is a Bentley? No, it doesn’t try to be or have the same prestige as that, but at 25% of a new Bentley price I can access the same technology and a very similar refinement level.

That works for me as both a technophile and (I admit to both!) an audiophile.

On the 110 miles home from Hereford I checked that my ears had not been deceiving me and measured the cabin sound level at 70mph. It's 60.5 db Thats a whole 3.5db lower than anything I have ever measured before :cool:
I was kinda expecting that, but nice to know the numbers.
What I was not expecting was 56mpg.:thumb: That is ridiculous for an almost 2 tonne limo.

Lovely thing - enjoy it!

I've always liked Audi interiors and for a modern car, that one looks pretty good. Most of the recent MB interiors I've seen are as about as subtle and tasteful as 1950's 'Rockola' jukebox.

Lovely car & the usual interesting write up, thanks.

PS. Get some tyre black on it. Just sayin'.

I had a D3 A8. What a wonderful car. Unbelievable value for money.

Very very nice :)

Congrats.

The last A8 I drove was a V8 TDi (4-litre I think). Very very capable car. It was in an odd green metallic and at the end the programme went to auction twice not meeting the reserve price. One my colleagues put a cheeky private bid in for it and got himself a lot of car for not a lot of money.

Congrats.

The last A8 I drove was a V8 TDi (4-litre I think). Very very capable car. It was in an odd green metallic and at the end the programme went to auction twice not meeting the reserve price. One my colleagues put a cheeky private bid in for it and got himself a lot of car for not a lot of money.
Maybe a bit like my green A8 from nearly two decades ago?
Back2002jpeg.jpeg

I have a D3 S8 and love it.

About a year ago, I was given a D5 for a few weeks as a courtesy car whilst Audi sorted my caliper out and I loved it. It was the 3.0 petrol version and had a 'basic' spec but was very comfortable and still had plenty of toys. The virtual cockpit and HUD were excellent.

I've seen the D5 S8 videos where it is hailed as 'the best car in the world', very impressive. Might be a good replacement once 75% of the depreciation has gone lol. Enjoy your lovely car.

Stunning car - I’d have it just for those lights!
And over 3dB down means they have certainly sorted the ‘N’ in NVH - less than half is some achievement.
Definitely a car to be enjoyed. :thumb: :thumb:

I had a day of contrast today. This morning I finished off the detailing of the A8. I found a couple of very minor stone chips in the front bumper, but I have to say it is one of the very best paint jobs I have ever worked on. It took very little time with a clay bar to get the paintwork like glass and followed that with some super resin polish, then Autoglym's extra gloss. It is exceedingly spangly now:cool: Oh! and the wheels and tyres have been given some love.....

This afternoon I was asked by my wife to investigate and strange and horrible noise in Vera the old Land Rover. So, with collie on board I headed the few miles to the edge of the Staffs Moorlands. The were some very odd noises, but she had failed to mention when questioned a massive vibration! As it was road speed dependant, I was almost positive that it was driveline related. The sort of thing that a worn or failed UJ on the prop shaft would do.
Sure enough the rear diff UJ was looking very sorry for itself when I rolled under the car on my return.
So I took off the rear drive shaft which tried to crush me as it came down!
The last prop shaft I worked with was the engine speed carbon one from the Bentley GT3. It was about 2M long, had titanium UJ's and weighed a couple of ounces. The rear Defender one was about 2 feet long and weighed closed to 2 tons. No wonder there was vibration with that moving around on a failed UJ!
Just to check, I took 'Vera' to my local Indie in front drive only to buy a new new UJ. All vibration was gone and cost of spares was £15.
Couple of hours with a large hammer and getting dirty later and it's all fixed.
Whilst the Defender is only just above the horse and cart it terms of refinement, I wonder if a fix on the A8 will be £15 when it reaches the age of 23 years old?

Thats absolutely stunning.
I purchased my A8 almost a year ago.
Apart from it being a soot chucker i love it.

Whilst the Defender is only just above the horse and cart it terms of refinement, I wonder if a fix on the A8 will be £15 when it reaches the age of 23 years old?

I wonder if it'll even make it to 23, given some of the issues and idiosyncrasies on previous generation A8s. 🤣

This morning I completed my dawn raid on Tesco in the the A8. Just an 8 mile round trip with a cold start, something I would normally use one of the other vehicles for.
But the A8 acquitted itself very well, gliding to almost deserted Tesco and with more than enough space for the weekly shop (!)
It also managed 45mpg with this usage, so the mild hybrid is really doing it's job. The only downside is that it seemed to overhang the parking bay a little, but as I say this is not it's typical usage but the peace and tranquillity of the interior could become addictive. :thumb:

This morning I completed my dawn raid on Tesco in the the A8. Just an 8 mile round trip with a cold start, something I would normally use one of the other vehicles for.
But the A8 acquitted itself very well, gliding to almost deserted Tesco and with more than enough space for the weekly shop (!)
It also managed 45mpg with this usage, so the mild hybrid is really doing it's job. The only downside is that it seemed to overhang the parking bay a little, but as I say this is not it's typical usage but the peace and tranquillity of the interior could become addictive. :thumb:
If you have to go to the supermarket, then you might as well do it in style 👍🏻

IMG_0454.jpeg

Does my plate look small in this?
Despite the oversize grille the car is living up to its Whatcar five star verdict of :"The most relaxing limo you can buy, thanks to its blend of performance comfort and serenity. It's practical and beautifully built too"
My wife and I were both astonished that the sat nav and infotainment understands her voice commands....first time!
I've been practicing for 40 years and still haven't managed that......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom