Would you map / chip a new car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve had brabus boxes before and they are good but expensive. I’d go for one if you are going to keep the car for a while.

Not really, if the cars in warranty still the dealership would just take it in and bill mercedes, its the warranty company that would pay the dealership the full job all they need is a diagnostics trail ie error codes and a mechanical diagnostic written down by the guy that worked on it, and its the warranty companys discretion of the job being done bearing in mind now this car is sitting on a ramp, broken and no money really in yet, parts will be in the storeroom just sitting there costing money so really its in their benefit to take the job on

I would imagine if a turbo blew or the like the dealers would be looking for a reason. Anything to get out of paying.

They would have to prove that something was done to effect the turbo. and that was the cause. For example that the turbo pressure was lifted to an unsafe level. This would have to be beyond reasonable tolerances, not just the fact it had been raised.

Realistically the risk you run with a car within warranty is if something goes wrong that could in some way relate to the ECU you're b*ggered. Assuming they are able to find out.

Let's face it, if you have a problem with something mechanical like the suspension or exhaust it's not likely to lead them down the trail to a suspected re-map. If a turbo fails or something gearbox related then it might and that's when you're up warranty creek!

I have no issues with a re-map, my E320 is re-mapped and it's improved the car hugely. By contrast that's a car I paid £4k for and is a calculated risk. I'm not sure I'd risk it on a car worth a hell of a lot more.

Not really, if the cars in warranty still the dealership would just take it in and bill mercedes, its the warranty company that would pay the dealership the full job all they need is a diagnostics trail ie error codes and a mechanical diagnostic written down by the guy that worked on it, and its the warranty companys discretion of the job being done bearing in mind now this car is sitting on a ramp, broken and no money really in yet, parts will be in the storeroom just sitting there costing money so really its in their benefit to take the job on

You would think so, however, one of the service advisers at my local dealer will deny that anything is covered by warranty for some reason.

She strung me along for nearly 12 months by insisting that something wasn't covered on my wife's car, it was only when I got her boss involved that she was found to be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom