• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Yay, now a W 124 owner (as well as W201)

Tiff

Car
2001 SLK 230.
Just picked up a W124 200E. A very special car to me... details to follow. :)

Ok,
It was my German uncle who started me on the path to the love of 80's Mercs. He bought a 250D brand new in 1986, totally basic,in white with next to no extras.. He picked us up at the airport when it was just a few weeks old. sadly he died nearly 20 years ago and never really got to enjoy the car. I'm heading over to my Aunties at the end of the month in this W124 200E I've just bought.. not exactly the same,but very close!

No MOT, 4 Bald tyres, siezed ball joints, a broken front spring, rattling exhaust,some rust and an ABS light on..

On the upside, the underside is AS NEW! Interior is immaculate, all mechanically perfect and everything works. Got 2 weeks to make it perfect..

13072010122.jpg

13072010123.jpg

13072010124.jpg

13072010125.jpg

EDIT: Bald tyres and rattly exhaust FIXED.

Last edited:
So not too many years ago I bought a brand new basic Polo. I pulled up next to a buddy of mine in his Discovery (Dual carriageway at traffic lights, I was on his off side) He dropped his window with a smooth hiss to say "Mornin'" and I had to lean over and crank my pax window down. "Nay lad, tha' dosent 'ave to wind doesta' Was all he said, the lights changed and he sailed away. Ever since then I've had 'leccy windows.

You will be the Bell of the Ball in the Fatherland Tiff with a 124 like that.
Welcome to the world of 12fouria. Hope to see you in Scotland soon.

Last edited:
Thanks john! But I have to admit this is my 2nd W124. first was a blue/black 230E auto.:rolleyes:

Merc2.jpg

Merc1.jpg

Update. ball joints done. front spring changed (need another one) tyres sorted,ABS sorted. new spring tomorrow then MOT! :)

Its done 126000. Apparently off the road for a number of years. Don't know how the bloke before me drove it, the steering was stiff and horrible,wouldn't self centre at all..

The underside is as new, amazingly clean! I've been all over under and through it so hopefully the MOT will be a formality...

Looks like a nice one . There's a lot to be said for simplicity .

Towbar is a useful extra .

apart from

:confused:

Great buy though that. May I ask what you paid for it?

Sorry, by mechanically perfect I meant engine,gearbox and axle.

Any car you buy for under £1000 will need some work. I'd rather go in with my eyes open and know I'm gonna have to get the spanners out,rather than buy something thats "perfect" and have to get the spanners out anyway! At least now I'll have a very very tidy W124, with all the usual W124 bits sorted!

Springs,balljoints,tyres and all the wee niggly bits are all sorted now, Cleaned ABS sensors and hubs, but still either getting ABS light coming on over 5mph or ABS light goes out but getting ABS kicking in under 5 MPH when breaking.. more investigation needed.
Cost me £250.. with 3 months tax. Will be all sorted, MOT'd and ready for a run to Germany from Fife, via Dover at the end of the month for less than £500. Bangernomics!!

My 190D was the same.. after a years trouble free running, it still owes me less than £600... including parts,servicing,purchase etc. When I bought it it was very dull, had knackered rear shocks,wouldn't switch off, the aux belt tensioner was u/s and it also had an ABS problem.

The light goes out after starting, but comes on at about 5MPH..most of he time. This points to a sensor/abs ring. The ABS rings on the front have been checked and cleaned up. I'll check the sensors tomorrow.

Sorry, by mechanically perfect I meant engine,gearbox and axle.

Any car you buy for under £1000 will need some work. I'd rather go in with my eyes open and know I'm gonna have to get the spanners out,rather than buy something thats "perfect" and have to get the spanners out anyway! At least now I'll have a very very tidy W124, with all the usual W124 bits sorted!

Springs,balljoints,tyres and all the wee niggly bits are all sorted now, Cleaned ABS sensors and hubs, but still either getting ABS light coming on over 5mph or ABS light goes out but getting ABS kicking in under 5 MPH when breaking.. more investigation needed.
Cost me £250.. with 3 months tax. Will be all sorted, MOT'd and ready for a run to Germany from Fife, via Dover at the end of the month for less than £500. Bangernomics!!

My 190D was the same.. after a years trouble free running, it still owes me less than £600... including parts,servicing,purchase etc. When I bought it it was very dull, had knackered rear shocks,wouldn't switch off, the aux belt tensioner was u/s and it also had an ABS problem.

Oh you don't have to justify it, I totally agree, and have the same attitude.

Got a 2.5 190d myself and love it, absolute joy to work on.

I had a similar ABS problem last year with my W126 - I couldn't get the sensors out due to rusted bolts . I tried swapping the ECU and OVP over from other cars with working ABS so was 99% sure it was a sensor , but put car into a local Indy rather than start throwing expensive parts at the problem . Indy looked at waveforms from sensors and diagnosed BOTH front sensors faulty ! Cost me £350 all in but sensors accounted for £230 of that so still reasonable .

There was a comment that the wiring to the front sensors goes brittle with age , causing the signal to break up as the suspension moves relative to the body and flexes the wires . Could be the problem with your car .

£350:eek:

It would be a relay out job for me if that were the case. Though I see you have a 500SEL, and not a £500 190 lol.

MOT passed with no advisories!! :bannana:

The ABS actually behaved itself long enough to get the MOT, but when I got home,I got down to checking it. If the light goes off, then comes on when pulling away,this points to sensors/wiring. If it comes on with the ignition and stays on, this points to OVP/pump/ecu. Mine was coming on at about 5mph,most of the time,but if it stayed out,I'd get the ABS kicking in under 5mph, again pointing to sensors and/or toothed rings.

I jacked the wheels up and span them. Rear, no light. Offside front,no light. Nearside front-light on. Checked the resistance and its way off. This way of doing it also worked with my 190D

Anyone got a good Nearside front ABS sensor for an '89 W124??

Ian Walker is breaking a 280 124 Estate on a K. No idea if the one off that would fit. Certainly they would be a little newer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom