1 million stone chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is how I see it and I fear Bobby Dazzler may well be right.

I know personally of a US owner that had bodywork damage on his 211, it was less than 12 months old and no paint shop was able to use nano top coating. They could all get the correct Mercedes colour but he insisted on having exactly the same type of top coating which needed to be baked at a certified 140 degrees. He insisted the car be restored to an as new condition and in the end the insurance company wrote the vehicle off.

There have been a few posts where folks believe they are getting this nano type paint but I have my doubts and there has been no change in the baking procedures, hence the very long delay in the E-class 4Matic being produced with this paint?? (I still have no idea if the plant has been upgraded) :eek: :eek:

John

These paints cure, one can get the same effect over a time period, so if the shell is baked at 140c it would only take say five mins to cure.

So in the workshop you would leave it in pro rata at 40 for say ½ hour to get the same affect of the curing

These paints cure, one can get the same effect over a time period, so if the shell is baked at 140c it would only take say five mins to cure.

So in the workshop you would leave it in pro rata at 40 for say ½ hour to get the same affect of the curing
Sorry but it needs the high temperature to activate the process. It is not a case of curing, it is a case of reaching a desired temperature to start the process.

John

Unfortunately I have just remodelled the front of my 2007 W211, using the rear of a citroen c4, the damage on my car was substantial the citroen minimal. Anway, when I took the car to Mercedes for an estimate, I asked if there was any problem in respraying the car in nano paint and all the heat treatment that goes with it, the car is 12 months old and was chip free. I had a 2004 W203 that didn't have nano which was a mess after 2 yrs. The repair guy told me that all respraying is done using nano even if the paint was not nano before because of the problems with chipping previous paints.
Mt late 2004 W203 has nano paint and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it chips worse than any other car I've owned. I've always assumed that because the paint is hard that it has no capacity to "absorb" impacts.

Sorry but it needs the high temperature to activate the process. It is not a case of curing, it is a case of reaching a desired temperature to start the process.

John

Then young man it would be impossible,, time is short this week end, I will find out next week the answers

Mt late 2004 W203 has nano paint and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it chips worse than any other car I've owned. I've always assumed that because the paint is hard that it has no capacity to "absorb" impacts.
Hi Rory,
Are you sure your car has not been resprayed? I say this with the greatest of respect and don't doubt what your saying.

Our old 210 used to chip if it so much as saw a stone, our 211 is driven over the same routes, at the same speeds and probably with more cars on the road. I have examined the front of the car and found ONE chip! That's one chip in just over three years compared to quite literally dozens of chips on our previous vehicle.

Even if we take delivery of a new car, I fear it might have undergone repairs and reading your post concerns me. Have you checked the paint coding? I feel for you and if it is nano coated then those stones are blooming sharp!:devil: :)

Malcolm,
Many moons ago I posted the technical details of this new paint. :)

Regards
John

Hi Rory,
Are you sure your car has not been resprayed? I say this with the greatest of respect and don't doubt what your saying.

Our old 210 used to chip if it so much as saw a stone, our 211 is driven over the same routes, at the same speeds and probably with more cars on the road. I have examined the front of the car and found ONE chip! That's one chip in just over three years compared to quite literally dozens of chips on our previous vehicle.

Even if we take delivery of a new car, I fear it might have undergone repairs and reading your post concerns me. Have you checked the paint coding? I feel for you and if it is nano coated then those stones are blooming sharp!:devil: :)

Malcolm,
Many moons ago I posted the technical details of this new paint. :)

Regards
John

Yes I remember and read it, I want to check on the repair methods

Hi Rory,
No, it's never been resprayed.

Most of the "chips" are different to the way "normal" paint chips look. Very small pieces (like the size of a pin head) of paint look as if they've cracked off the surface.
Bit difficult to describe, but there isn't the usual starring (or even little dents) around the chip, so they've obviously not been caused by hefty impacts. They're especially noticeable on my car as it's Titanite Red and primer coated in white, so the chips show up as little white dots. When I wash the car, they look like the little white dots that cars seem to pick up that you can just knock off with your nail, except that I can't as a closer look reveals that it's the paint finish that's missing with the primer showing through.

Perhaps some colours don't show like this - if the car was white (or perhaps silver) then I imagine they'd be all but invisible.

red............. think yourself lucky its not black..... mine is and each stone chip stands out like a beacon...:crazy:

No, it's never been resprayed.

Most of the "chips" are different to the way "normal" paint chips look. Very small pieces (like the size of a pin head) of paint look as if they've cracked off the surface.
Bit difficult to describe, but there isn't the usual starring (or even little dents) around the chip, so they've obviously not been caused by hefty impacts. They're especially noticeable on my car as it's Titanite Red and primer coated in white, so the chips show up as little white dots. When I wash the car, they look like the little white dots that cars seem to pick up that you can just knock off with your nail, except that I can't as a closer look reveals that it's the paint finish that's missing with the primer showing through.

Perhaps some colours don't show like this - if the car was white (or perhaps silver) then I imagine they'd be all but invisible.

I did a lot of reading last night and read some interesting things about the Nano paint, and indeed it is a finish almost the same that is used for glazing china.

I would imagine that when a stone hits it, it splinters rather than chips.

I joined a Nano paint forum last night in the hope of a few more answers

Hi Rory,
I have no vested interested in nano paint and am merely surprised at your experience. If you have nano paint, and if it has not been repaired (without your knowledge) Then you are extremely unfortunate.

Rather than paste hundreds of posts, I will just post a couple of the dozens I fouind regarding owners experiences.

The most important thing is to

a) Check you have nano treated paint. (An easy task)

b)Accept that this technology will not protect against heavy contacts.

Don't forget, new cars can get damaged and can be repaired without our knowledge.:eek: :eek: :mad:

BLack car
I have to say I'm impressed with the Nano Paint. The car is almost 6 months old and I usually detailing every week, there is no swirl marks (although had huge rock chip on the highway ). After 6 months with the 02 S500, 01 E320 4Matic, and 98 C5, the swirlmarks were visible (always using microfiber mitt and towels). Kudos on the Nano Paint!

used to be paranoid with my paint also having owned 5 black cars previously...but I feel less paranoid with the nano on our tectite grey. Heck, I even run it through a brushed carwash and it comes out without any swirl marks!

The car also has only two rock chips after 16,000 miles, which is impressive compared to my 02 CLK430 which had the softest
paint I've seen on a car.

Black car
I have one of the first nano paint W211's. I think it's great. I have only one tiny rock mark on the top of th front fender, and that's after 38k miles. A friend of mine has an '02 M3 with 55k miles, and the front of his car looks like it was sand blasted by comparison. I have heard rocks hit the hood and sworn there would be damage, and to my amazement there's none. I wish my Yamaha R6 had nano paint. You got that right! I take the Taconic north daily and I am amazed that I still have body panels! I plan to start pavethetaconic.org in an attemp to get it fixed. Of course, I'll get that done in my copious spare time.

By the way, with a 5/04 build, you should have
nano paint

Silver car
Your sure to have the "nano" paint with the build date as reported.... My build date was 2-04 and it has it.... I'm sorry to say, I really see no difference to reguards to paint chips as my car has them. Where I do see a BIG difference is in the over-all shine (gloss) of the cars finish between washings and waxings. All the reports I've ever read pertaining to nano paint or "cerami clear" as its really known as really never reported that the paint was designed to prevent "rock chips", but rather guard againt fine scratches and swirl marks. Obviously cars painted black will have the most to gain by this technology. I've also read that the paint is designed to help the car hold its original factory paint "shine" up to 40% longer than traditional finishes. I definatly see this to be true as I stated earlier.

Tealite Blue
So far, I think it is great. My build date is March 04. I only have 5000 miles so far, but only one small chip. In fact, I washed my car this weekend, and noticed that my grill has more rock hit marks in it than the front of the car having chips

There are also numerous claims about workshops using nano based paints and it is quite funnt to read the claims being made. Some say how Mercedes now have a new paint that does not need to be baked, others state how the temperature has been lowered to make the hardening occur!

The only information I have is that the chemical reaction only occurs when the temperature exceeds 140 degrees centigrade. I have no idea what effects this will have on non metal items, or any of the car's fluids, but it will probably not be nice?

Regards
John

The only information I have is that the chemical reaction only occurs when the temperature exceeds 140 degrees centigrade. I have no idea what effects this will have on non metal items, or any of the car's fluids, but it will probably not be nice?

Regards
John

John you are 100% correct and as you say the paint is almost fired and not cured as I said earlier.

All of the info that I looked at last night refers to the swirl marks and glance after being through a car wash.

So there is no way that any repair work can be done using Nano paint, its impossible, so there we are, thank you for your big input

I would imagine that when a stone hits it, it splinters rather than chips.
I would say (at least on my vehicle) that the damage it sustains is more literally a “chip” than even ordinary paint. It looks just like someone has chipped tiny pieces of finish off the car – there’s no other damage, like starring, tiny dents, crumpled paint etc that you sometimes get when a stone hits normal paint.
Check you have nano treated paint. (An easy task)
Easy for you maybe! :) OK, how can I be sure? I assumed that as it’s a late 04 facelift W203 that it would be nano finished.
The car also (allegedly) has Mercedes StarShield (like DiamondBrite or Supaguard). I say "allegedly" as there's no way of telling if it's been done.

What I will say is that birdmuck etc cleans off very easily – certainly much easier than on our other cars and never leaves a mark. Whether this is because of StarShield and/or the Nano finish, I don’t know.

(quoting someone else) Heck, I even run it through a brushed carwash and it comes out without any swirl marks!
Well, I wash mine with a brush (hey, it’s a working car) and it’s quite noticeably swirled.

Last edited:
Easy for you maybe! :) OK, how can I be sure? I assumed that as it’s a late 04 facelift W203 that it would be nano finished.
Hi Rory,
I can only comment about the E-class but will assume the C-class will be similar? :eek: :eek:

On the B pillar you will see the paint code number. In front of the number will be a letter. I believe the nano letter is 'C'

ie C701

To get swirling on a nano coating on a hand washed car is an acheivement :) :eek:

Everything your describing, we experienced on our old 210, but I must confess we use a two bucket system with a mitten when washing our car. It is very quick and might help protect the vehicle?

Regards
John

Hi Rory,
I can only comment about the E-class but will assume the C-class will be similar? :eek: :eek:

On the B pillar you will see the paint code number. In front of the number will be a letter. I believe the nano letter is 'C'

ie C701

To get swirling on a nano coating on a hand washed car is an acheivement :) :eek:

Everything your describing, we experienced on our old 210, but I must confess we use a two bucket system with a mitten when washing our car. It is very quick and might help protect the vehicle?

Regards
John
Thanks - it's C567.

I keep thinking about buying a polisher and claying etc but I try not to be tooo **** about these things! I always feel embarrassed telling the dealer not to wash it. It's just a car, after all! :eek:

However I do use a mit on my daughter's Colt. That remained swirl free until I forget to tell the dealer not to wash it and it now looks like someone has ice-skated on it. :mad:

I also note crockers comment above:
red............. think yourself lucky its not black..... mine is and each stone chip stands out like a beacon...:crazy:

Last edited:
Update. several paint repairers refused to touch my car because they said the damage didn't warrant repair and that i was being a perfectionist. Several others said they were very busy...........

however, the rear bumper is being resprayed as we speak to rid it of some small dings and scratchs but they won't do the front as it would need completely resprayed to get a job good enough for me!

I have painted in the worst chips and that looks like that will have to do unless an AMG bumper lands in my lap! Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom