10.25 screen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
morning ;)

the car is a W212 with NTG4

as for dongles and stuff i'd like to avoid them.

apple car play would be nice but with a unit like this i wouldn't see the use of it. i was hoping that the actual unit is able to connect to google play and download whatever app i need from there.

the idea is to leave the phone out of my range completely :) although still not clear how hands free phone connection will be? via NTG4 or via android screen?

The apple car play and android auto is all controlled via the screen or the Mercedes scroller your phone is then in glovebox plugged in charging and you wouldn’t have any need to touch it as the screen takes over control so to speak.

The screen has the google play store so I’m assuming you can download all the apps you would need to download for me personally I’m happy to have it all on the phone to save space on the screen and to not slow it down in anyway.

Phone calls can still be made via the Mercedes Bluetooth system or the screen Bluetooth the choice is yours

If you do decide to get one send me a message I have a screen that’s under 2 months old with the dongle etc for car play all boxed as new fully updated etc that I’m going to list on the site this week as I’m selling my car which is also a w212 NTG 4 so might be of some help to you

don't wanna open a new one. got a few questions:

- buying this from ali exxpress seems a bit af risk isn't it? and if we go this way there are so many models; which one to choose?
- one important thing for me would be to have 4G SIM usable. being made in china is there a risk to not have 4G data? i asked few suppliers but no clear answer;
- last but not least: is this google play unlocked? i wanna install waze, youtube, apple music, spotify, netflix and all... will this be possible? being a china manufactured, which is known to have limitations on this side.

4G works fine in the UK. I use mine with a Three SIM in it and it will get 4G where available.
Google Play is on the device so you can use Waze etc directly on the headset without the need for any adapters.
Bluetooth for calls can be to either the OEM system or to the Android Head unit.

Buying from Ali Express can have some risks. There are sellers on ebay and Amazon who have already done the import process and you can buy from them if you want. Obviously they will have added a bit to the price, but if you want piece of mind it may well be worth it for you.

As with all of these units, they are continuously changing and there are newer versions out there now and the latest ones have a more rounded frame on them.

Just noticed now that there are 12.5” units available seems to big though
5F508C59-B77F-4FBD-8CBA-E2FFD1B0B9A0.jpeg 20E01D65-BC94-408C-A3F0-6E489685B517.jpeg F542AA5D-F12C-43B2-9122-86F4F3A4C9C9.jpeg

Evening
Anybody fine this with the CarPlay dongle?
This and a speaker upgrade on my W212 would be a great uplift for the interior

i keep looking at making this upgrade with the screen and still something puts me off. can't say exactly what, but I'm concerned that it might bring more stress rather than convenience. I'm afraid it'll be one of those things which it'll be amazing IF it works and maybe there'll to much time spend to continuously adapt, change, connect, modify etc. I haven't seen to much feedback on the usability and actual everyday experience on this. All you can find is how people are amazed upon installing them. So it's either their damn good and nobody posts anything because it's flawless, or it's more of an annoyance than an upgrade and no one will post 'cause, you know, who wants to admit they put 500'ish bucks in something they don't like.

so yeah, bottom line is it looks great but i don't think I'll make the step. can please anyone change my mind :p:D:)

It’s certainly impressive to look at but I hear what you’re saying re a relative lack of feedback about day to day use ability.

I’ve got an NTG4 which does the job but doesn’t have sat nav and is pretty archaic and with a small screen by modern standards.

The idea of this or one of Integrated Automotive’s CarPlay units is very attractive

The cost of an upgrade through Comand was more than the value of the car, making this seem like a bargain!

:D

i keep looking at making this upgrade with the screen and still something puts me off. can't say exactly what, but I'm concerned that it might bring more stress rather than convenience. I'm afraid it'll be one of those things which it'll be amazing IF it works and maybe there'll to much time spend to continuously adapt, change, connect, modify etc. I haven't seen to much feedback on the usability and actual everyday experience on this. All you can find is how people are amazed upon installing them. So it's either their damn good and nobody posts anything because it's flawless, or it's more of an annoyance than an upgrade and no one will post 'cause, you know, who wants to admit they put 500'ish bucks in something they don't like.

so yeah, bottom line is it looks great but i don't think I'll make the step. can please anyone change my mind :p:D:)

There isn't much posting on here as it is very UK centric and not many have actually done it. The US centric forums have dozens of threads and thousands of posts on these units. Most of my contributions as an early implementer were on those forums such as mbworld.

It basically stopped me selling the car as it brought it up to date. Is it floorless, no but its a huge step forward even against some of Mercedes latest systems. Day to day use it works absolutely fine.

There isn't much posting on here as it is very UK centric and not many have actually done it. The US centric forums have dozens of threads and thousands of posts on these units. Most of my contributions as an early implementer were on those forums such as mbworld.

It basically stopped me selling the car as it brought it up to date. Is it floorless, no but its a huge step forward even against some of Mercedes latest systems. Day to day use it works absolutely fine.

Thanks for that, it’s the biggest bugbear in day to day use of the car (I had touchscreen CarPlay in my previous winter hack) and this (and some new speakers to add some midrange) are tempting.

I don't use CarPlay Android Auto in mine as its Android native and with a data sim in it there is no need for replicating a phone on it. I just use Waze and other Android apps natively on the unit itself.

Neither CarPlay or AA are totally reliable even in the most integrated cars. You would need a dongle for Carplay as well. The unit does also have its own alternative touch screen replication software as another option.

I was intending to use Apple maps as a satnav or mirror Navmii (which shows traffic data, safety cameras etc) so not useful for that?

for me this unit with a SIM (data) inside and native android apps would be the go to solution. Waze, Spotify (or Apple Music for me), Youtube/Netflix (for long rides with kids), some offline navi as well and others

I use Waze natively on the devices which has the best traffic data out there with safety cameras with live data for mobile and police presence as it is all crowd sourced. You can just hotspot to a phone if you don't want to put a SIM into it.

You can't use the video features in the UK on the move though as it is illegal, but the device can do it.

i know about the video restrictions. they're everywhere.

btw can you do split screen? like waze and music for ex.

i know about the video restrictions. they're everywhere.

btw can you do split screen? like waze and music for ex.

Wasn't aimed at you mate as I see you are not in the UK and different countries have different rules.

Split screen is a good feature, don't use it much, but good to make people aware of it. Doesn't work with all of the features such as the built in music / video apps but certainly does for Google native apps.

I've come close to committing a few times for my S205. i really miss the extra functionality. however, i have no Aux mode and dont want to use bluetooth for that. although, that said, i would have the apps on the unit itself not my phone.
Are they fully compatible with the Burmester system, sometimes these aftermarket solutions play funny with the uprated OE systems.
can you still use the touchpad etc or do you have to use the touchscreen?

tia

The OEM touchpad or whell depending on what you have work.

I would go and look at (or start) the threads on MBWorld where there are lots of people with these unit and probably your specific configuration who can answer detailed questions about integration etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom