123 300 gripes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dieselonly

Car
300td
hello, recently bought a 123 300td s wagon, manual, 170k miles.
Firstly there is a huge amount of play in steering box and after attempting to adjust it to no avail, you do turn the nut clockwise?!
I wonder if there is anyone in the Yorks are able to re con this box?
Incidentally, it was MOT'd the day before I bought it!

The engine also doesnt pull too well from low revs and produces a tickity ticky sound when accellerating which dissapears when cruising, Im told this is due to a tappet not emptying itself of oil, not really convinced, is there a way of checking this?

The throttle also appears to stick on for a split second when changing up the gears, however It doesnt happen when the throttle is open when stationary, cant get to the bottom of this one, could it be a vac related? I have lubricated cable and linkages.

appreciate any imput

Hi

NO turn the nut anticlockwise!!...

The throttle sticking may be due to some vac problem, probably a leak somewhere...

Looks like I am going to spoil the party. Mb claim that 2 inches of play in the steering wheel is the maximun play allowed (personally I think this is too much). I tried to adjust my steeing box to no avail. IMHO the only resolve to this problem is to fit an alternate box. Having done this I could talk you through it if you want.

Ian

yes half the time you do need a new box, but i would try to adjust it first, worked perfectly for me.. However, dont over do it otherwise youll find the power steering will get hard..leave a bit of play...

cheers chaps
I have now adjusted (anticlockwise) and now only have 1" of play on the steering wheel as opposed to three!
More adjustment can be made but have yet to test drive.

have road tested and now able to keep in one lane!

one down

Have a feeling the ticky ticky noise is due to exhaust manifold gasket, difficult to check though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom