• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1st Weekend with my C63 AMG Estate (*Many images*)

ghibbett

Car
C63 AMG Estate
So on Friday I went to collect my C63 Estate. As some of you know from my other threads (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/new-member-introductions/127551-hello-mb-newbie-c63-order.html), it's been a long time coming. The fact I was on my way down to finally collect it was almost a slightly surreal feeling. There's certainly something about the anticipation that's both exciting and frustrating. Anyway, I made my way via train to the nearest railway station to the dealership. It was possible the smallest railway station I've ever seen, with a single platform, dilapidated old ticket machine, no buildings or gantries and an old farmers gate to go through to cross the tracks (yes, really). Once through, my brilliant salesman Andy was there waiting to collect me. And what a nice way to be collected...

7993188001_7c3a895599_c.jpg

A lovely new CLS63 AMG with Performance Pack. The railway station was only 5 miles from the dealership, so we exchanged small talk for the journey. Interestingly it appears my dealership are trying to arrange an AMG trackday event at Castlecombe. Naturally I registered my interest!!

Within a few minutes we arrived at the dealership and all conversation stopped - I was feverishly looking for my new car in the handover bay. Despite much neck-craning it wasn't there. Then I saw a C-Class Estate with...the wrong wheels on...but the registration was the same...and, oh no the last digit was different. Few!! Andy could see my hunting for the car so proceeded to let me know that my car was in a special handover bay that we had exclusive use of with there being no others cars in there to distract us. Good stuff!

So into the dealership, nice cup of coffee, still not seen the car, going through paperwork and all that guff. And then the time comes...would you like to come and see your car. Yes-bloody-please!! So I walked in and there she was:

7992752010_d5b810b14f_c.jpg

7992748307_93d1ed7377_c.jpg

7992751107_b6fe9b339e_c.jpg

7992754245_d4e7d6b811_c.jpg

7992766534_e6527fe5d8_c.jpg

7992769972_412a622338_c.jpg

7992768289_965178c209_c.jpg

7992788491_e2b4c413fb_c.jpg

7992804580_10d5748c15_c.jpg

7992785746_82210e9764_c.jpg

7992778525_7b63c76059_c.jpg

We had a good look around together, with me taking my time to check panel gaps & paint finish etc. I also snapped the piccies you've just seen above, then opened the doors and had a good look inside. It has to be said that the car was very well prepared (this was backed up the next day when I spent 7.5hrs going over the car with a fine tooth comb). Then came the time for the first start, which I recorded on my iPhone. She certainly smoked a bit as you can see...
C63 AMG First Start - YouTube

After what turned out to be the initial look over, it was back to the showroom for another coffee and time to break out the credit card. Once all the paperwork was done and finalised, the handover process could begin. With me sat in the car, Andy went through the controls from right to left, explaining everything and showing me all sorts of shortcuts (most of which I think I've forgotten). He paired my phone, showed me the bluetooth streaming along with the direct connection(s) to the car, went through COMAND and all that. He even offered to come along for my first drive such that I could get a feel for the car and he could help with any questions I had. A nice suggestion, but after all it is only a car, and I wanted to enjoy it all by myself. So with that, and after 2 hours from the point of collection, I was on my way!

Quick couple of things to mentioned. Firstly the dealership filled the car for me, which was much appreciated! Also as my car is a MY13 C63, it has the latest COMAND colours, newly positioned indicator stalk (BIG improvement this) and also the special AMG key back plate with the crest of Affalterbach, as shown here:

7992740005_0be00ed590_c.jpg

On the way home I stopped off at a nice(ish) place to snap a few more piccies

7992820852_58220bee4b_c.jpg

7992827560_25a808bca0_c.jpg

7992829417_8d989bc5c3_c.jpg

7992846042_f1c6b2570a_c.jpg

7992853266_3f291dba3c_c.jpg

7992862570_effcf90840_c.jpg

And then it was home time. Later on I picked up the wife from work and we went for a drink before she headed out for a work event. That was my driving done for the day, so I settled in at home and read the first half of the owners manual.

Then onto Saturday. I recorded the morning start seeing as the car was stone cold:
C63 AMG Cold Start - YouTube

Then popped round to a mates where we gave her a clean, dried her off then set to work both sealing (Chemical Guys Top Coat) and waxing (Collinite something or other) the paint. The wheels were also fully waxed with some 3M Marine wax that should give excellent protection. All in this took 7.5hrs and today my shoulder is killing me! Here are a few pics:

Cleaning off with a snow foam wash:
7993118086_44e1e21571_c.jpg

Giving the engine bay a good clean (it had quite a bit of water marking):
7993107231_40ea18aa7a_c.jpg

Getting there:
7993116590_c10c56dbc6_c.jpg

And the final result:
7993115666_b575eaa427_c.jpg

7993115006_acd211e9a1_c.jpg

After all this work, the good Wife and I picked up some friends and we headed out in the C63 for a well-earned meal. Grub consumed and the C63 whisked us back home without fuss, whilst I marvelled at the ILS system doing its thing. I'm always skeptical about such things, despite loving the technology, but I couldn't fault it; the cornering lights worked superbly and the high beam assist was brilliant. As soon as we were out in the countryside the lights moved up into the main beam position (the movement is very pronounced and organic feeling - nice!), car comes around the bend and they immediately moved back to dipped beam. Oncoming car passes by and the lights are straight back into main beam, before entering a medium lit village where the lights then went to a sort of halfway house position. I honestly couldn't fault them, which is exactly how it should be. Well impressed :-)

So today I did about 70 miles, with a mix of A & B roads and about 30 miles of motorway. Overall consumption since I got the car, and including a lot of stop/start on the detailing day, has resulted in this:
7993113778_da24fe5d41_c.jpg

Not bad I feel.

Once I've got more miles under her wheels I will then write more regarding things such as engine, gearbox, ride etc. The only other thing to mention is 'The Rattle' which my car does have. I've pretty much figured out where it's coming from and have also figured out how to make it stop. Now it's just a case of passing this info to the MB dealer and seeing what they can do with it. But for now I'll let the car continue to settle in and the rattle can wait until the diff oil change at 2,000 miles.

Overall though, I'm a very happy bunny. As aforementioned, I will not write a review of the car yet, however the engine (grunt!), noise (just brilliant), steering (superb and direct) and balance (can really feel the LSD digging in and controlling the direction of the car) have all made me grin like this :D :D :D all day today.

I'm :bannana:

Perhaps the best write up with youtube clips on the forum I have seen. Thank you.

If you lived closer I come down to see you just to hear your Mercedes start up. As it is you are safe enough.

Happy trials buddy, happy trails.

Cracking write up. Love the Palladium it was a toss up for me between that and Tenorite, the best two colours imho. Enjoy!!

Looking great mate!!

After the wait are they taking the Mick with the plate??

They may as well have put "Who the fukc knows!!?" after the ETA. ;)

Enjoy!!

Ha ha, no I chose the plate from the 36 they had registered. My mates have called it Extreme Tyre Annihilator.

Absolutely awesome car and great write up.:thumb:

Is it me or do the screw heads in the rear number plate let down an otherwise flawless appearance?:dk:

Great write up. My coupe should be arriving at the end of October - time to be slowing down day by day at the moment :crazy:

Is it me or do the screw heads in the rear number plate let down an otherwise flawless appearance?:dk:

They're an important stamp of MB authenticity - no screw-cap known to man can conceal them. Mind you, it seems MB Oxford has misplaced the characters on the rear plate, as they should sit neatly between the screws top and bottom.

Lovely write up and photos, thank you. The only niggle i personally have found is that it always starts in c mode. In my C55 if it was in sport it would stay in sport. Travelling up the motorway in s then stopped for fuel i always almost home before i realised i was back in c! Lol! Obv very minor and no biggie at all

Great write-up.

Your car looks really good, congratulations.

Great write up for a great car! Wish mine looked like that under the bonnet....!!!

p.s. totally agree about the ILS!

Great op, thanks for that

Sounds like you are happy with the new member of the family. A quick note on The Rattle. I am finding that as the miles go on it starts to disappear. I have put it down to the new car "settling" during the first few thousand miles. This probably makes no engineering sense at all, but mine seems to have pretty much gone with 4k under the wheels

K

Thanks for a great write up and congratulations, the colour and wheel looks superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom