2 routers on same ADSL connection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Car
2022 GLC 300 estate- replaced 2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
Hi all

I have a home network with a vigor router which is set up with a vpn tunnel to my office which works fine.

I want to acess certain geoblocked US audio streaming services such as rdio or slacker and also video such as hulu and netflix.

I can access the US geo blocked sites ok from my laptop using vpn software (vpnuk.net) but I want to to do is acess the US content directly through PS3 or AppleTV type device hooked up to my TV.

Can I hook up a second router with settings such that it only hops onto the internet via the US VPN IP addess and that the PS3 (or other specific devices) only accesses the internet via the second router?

cheers

If I understand your question correctly - you can have any number of routers setup to use a single ADSL connection but you can only run one at a time (as there is only a single ADSL modem in a router).

Hi all

I have a home network with a vigor router which is set up with a vpn tunnel to my office which works fine.

I want to acess certain geoblocked US audio streaming services such as rdio or slacker and also video such as hulu and netflix.

I can access the US geo blocked sites ok from my laptop using vpn software (vpnuk.net) but I want to to do is acess the US content directly through PS3 or AppleTV type device hooked up to my TV.

Can I hook up a second router with settings such that it only hops onto the internet via the US VPN IP addess and that the PS3 (or other specific devices) only accesses the internet via the second router?

cheers

Yes. You need to make your laptop a gateway to the internet for the other devices. Easiest way to do this is a second router/switch.

Failing this you need a better ADSL router that will allow you setup a VPN on it (not the laptop) to do the tunnelling for you.

Failing this you need a better ADSL router that will allow you setup a VPN on it (not the laptop) to do the tunnelling for you.
If the OP has a Draytek Vigor then it probably has this functionality already, they don't get much better than Draytek!

Yes. You need to make your laptop a gateway to the internet for the other devices. Easiest way to do this is a second router/switch.

cheers Alfie so could I have 2 vpn tunnels on the existing draytek vigor router operating both together 24/7 ? I use one for my office connection & also an IP phone extension to my office (Panasonic NCP )switchboard and so get away with just using the one router?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom