2019 C63 conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rs67

Car
c63
I'm coming to the end of my finance contract in June on my 2019 C63 coupe. It's a Mercedes Agility finance contract, so I have a number of options, but I'm not sure what to do....

I originally took it, deliberately, on a 2 year contract, since the new C63 was estimated to be arriving in the first half of 2021 at the time I bought it and I thought I'd swap to the new version at that point. Clearly, this hasn't happened and isn't likely to happen soon, and even then, persistent 4-pot rumours would make it a no-go for me.

It's pointless buying a new C63 and just paying for the accelerated first two years depreciation all over again, which is likely to accelerate even further when the refreshed model comes along soon. And anyway, my existing car has done a paltry 4,500 miles, pretty much all done in the 6 months after I bought it immediately preceding the pandemic. It's never even had anyone sit in the back seats of the car, so looks essentially new still.

Looking at new model cars, I'm unenthused by what's on offer. Maybe a 2021 BMW M550i? Nice engine, great power, bit of a barge.

The M4 doesn't really appeal as it's ugly as sin with that big front grille.

I'd actually consider a C8 corvette if they were importing them already, but that's not going to happen for a while.

I've considered a Porsche Cayman GT4, but it's pretty basic by comparison on the interior, even after checking £13k worth of options. It literally takes £13k to get it close to the C63 premium plus spec!

Jaguar F-type. Meh. Overpriced, a bit dated and I'd rather have the C63 anyway.

Anything else I should be considering?

Or is it better to just refinance the balloon?

I'm coming to the end of my finance contract in June on my 2019 C63 coupe. It's a Mercedes Agility finance contract, so I have a number of options, but I'm not sure what to do....

I originally took it, deliberately, on a 2 year contract, since the new C63 was estimated to be arriving in the first half of 2021 at the time I bought it and I thought I'd swap to the new version at that point. Clearly, this hasn't happened and isn't likely to happen soon, and even then, persistent 4-pot rumours would make it a no-go for me.

It's pointless buying a new C63 and just paying for the accelerated first two years depreciation all over again, which is likely to accelerate even further when the refreshed model comes along soon. And anyway, my existing car has done a paltry 4,500 miles, pretty much all done in the 6 months after I bought it immediately preceding the pandemic. It's never even had anyone sit in the back seats of the car, so looks essentially new still.

Looking at new model cars, I'm unenthused by what's on offer. Maybe a 2021 BMW M550i? Nice engine, great power, bit of a barge.

The M4 doesn't really appeal as it's ugly as sin with that big front grille.

I'd actually consider a C8 corvette if they were importing them already, but that's not going to happen for a while.

I've considered a Porsche Cayman GT4, but it's pretty basic by comparison on the interior, even after checking £13k worth of options. It literally takes £13k to get it close to the C63 premium plus spec!

Jaguar F-type. Meh. Overpriced, a bit dated and I'd rather have the C63 anyway.

Anything else I should be considering?

If you like it and the balloon is reasonable, just stick with it.

If you like it and the balloon is reasonable, just stick with it.

Guaranteed minimum is currently a few thousand cheaper than the average one I can find currently listed on Autotrader. Although hard to judge, since these prices are just asks and not what they actually change hands for....

Guaranteed minimum is currently a few thousand cheaper than the average one I can find currently listed on Autotrader. Although hard to judge, since these prices are just asks and not what they actually change hands for....
In another 6 months it will probably be more expensive to settle yours than buy one at the market average, but knowing the history from new is worth a premium.

In another 6 months it will probably be more expensive to settle yours than buy one at the market average, but knowing the history from new is worth a premium.

Certainly yes. The cheap ones all seem to have had 2 or 3 owners each....

High depreciation on AMG's is to be expected i think.
Probably similar across all high end manufacturers

High depreciation on AMG's is to be expected i think.
Probably similar across all high end manufacturers

Sure, yeah. Some more so than others though .... look at the resale price on a BMW M850i. Must be enough to make the owners weep...

May not be a bad idea refinancing the balloon. However, if you have the cash, just pay it off and own the car.
Wont lose much as you not doing many miles. Plus car history is going to be great and only 1 owner.

Once you reach a certain level, its difficult to find another car unless you go up a bracket like the GTC or GTR or R8 etc.
Thats the problem i am facing too. Third world problems eh...

You could also voluntary terminate the agreement given you've paid more than 50% of the total value+interest and hand the car back leaving you free to get something else on a new agreement etc. I've done it twice now, very handy.........

Sure, yeah. Some more so than others though .... look at the resale price on a BMW M850i. Must be enough to make the owners weep...
Agreed if you pay full price on the BMW. But no one with any sense will do that on an M850i as the list is fundamentally at the wrong price point, options or not. I should know, I’ve done an M850i convertible in 2020 at what I consider the right level and I think it’s a good buy.

By the way, I’m not justifying a BMW over an AMG or rationalising my purchase. I’ve had a few AMG’s; they’re great and I’ll be in one again.

You could also voluntary terminate the agreement given you've paid more than 50% of the total value+interest and hand the car back leaving you free to get something else on a new agreement etc. I've done it twice now, very handy.........

Sure, but that's the conundrum. No other car really takes my fancy. They're all uninspiring.....I could just roll it over into a brand new C63 I guess, although there's the issue of the new version coming probably within the next year or so.

Depends whether the balloon refinancing deal is reasonable or not....I have a niggling feeling it's going to work out better to get a new car

May not be a bad idea refinancing the balloon. However, if you have the cash, just pay it off and own the car.
Wont lose much as you not doing many miles. Plus car history is going to be great and only 1 owner.

Once you reach a certain level, its difficult to find another car unless you go up a bracket like the GTC or GTR or R8 etc.
Thats the problem i am facing too. Third world problems eh...

Given that I won't keep the car longer than another two or three years at the outside, I'm not sure that this is a financially astute thing to do. Better to to finance a portion of the the balloon using another residual based finance deal, then sell it in two years..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom