2020 E Class Coupe - Spec Options Restricted by MB UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Handydave

SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes E220 CDI Coupe - Palladium Silver
I was keenly awaiting the release of the facelift E Class Coupe. But I’m disappointed by the restrictions MB UK have made to the specification options:
  • Premium Plus package (which includes the vital Distronic adaptive cruise control) can only be optioned if you also select the Night Edition. While it’s a matter of taste, personally I’m not a fan of the night pack.
  • If you’re ok with the night pack you get 20” rims, but no opportunity to add air suspension to improve the ride quality - unless you go for the E53 4matic.
  • No option for Head Up Display - but it’s available in other markets.
Why do MB UK do this? The factory is set up to add a wide variety of options.

Anyway, they’ve lost a sale.

I believe that under the new fuel consumption legislation, each variant has to be tested, and that includes optional equipment. If they can group options together, and restrict combinations, then it reduces the number of variants that have to be tested.

There's no doubt the issue of emissions testing is a factor and probably a significant one but MBUK have previously restricted what's available in the UK, ie wheel specs, unable to have the 'normal' radiator grille etc (ie must have the large star in the centre, which was originally restricted to SLs, coupés etc) whereas these were available on the continent. Marketing.

I've yet to fathom many of MB UK's decisions. Even colours available elsewhere aren't available here. Just to frustrate us even more, they show photos of lovely looking cars in their ads but don't offer those particular colours (especially interior) here in the UK. They're being turned out on the production line so why not offer them here?

Crazy restrictions agree.

Just look at the interior colours, finishes and woods available on the Germany site also. So frustrating.

Was in a JLR dealer recently and you can have your pick of what you like there so if other manufacturers can do it can’t be Co2 related.

There has been quite a lot of correspondence, on the lack of choice, in the "other" MB club's magazine.

MB's PR guru hasn't convinced anyone as to why...other than quoting the billions of combinations possible. As he also mentions the majority of "sales" are leases, and consumers want cars delivered immediately from stock, I suspect MB doesn't want to get stuck with hard to shift colour / trim specs when the ars come back after 3 years.

MB seems to ignore other manufacturers offer a freer choice of combinations.

I suspect MB doesn't want to get stuck with hard to shift colour / trim specs when the ars come back after 3 years.
I suspect you’re right there. But I can’t help wondering how the decision is made on “what’s hard to shift”. I fear it’s based on “that’s what sells”, when they’re forgetting that sales are based on what’s available. For instance, MB UK’s persisting reliance on a high proportion of Diesel engined cars has come about because that’s all that people have mostly been able to buy.

There has been quite a lot of correspondence, on the lack of choice, in the "other" MB club's magazine.

MB's PR guru hasn't convinced anyone as to why...other than quoting the billions of combinations possible. As he also mentions the majority of "sales" are leases, and consumers want cars delivered immediately from stock, I suspect MB doesn't want to get stuck with hard to shift colour / trim specs when the ars come back after 3 years.

MB seems to ignore other manufacturers offer a freer choice of combinations.

If the "Lease Sale Story" is correct, then whats to stop the Dealership Ordering someone a New Car to the Spec they Require if it has been ascertained that they are not Leasing/PCPing, but either Buying on Finance or Cash? If they Order their New P&J in Rainbow and Purple Paint, then they will take the Brunt of the Resale Value when they either Trade in or Sell the Car! :dk:

Anyone with the Dosh in their Pocket would do the same as the OP and Walk Away! 😟

When I was looking for the coupe I purchased recently there seemed to be mostly black , silver and white cars available.
I assumed that this was because most of the cars are specced by sales people and they were the easiest colours to sell.
Probably same goes for options etc.

Thanks guys for the supportive comments. Seems I'm not the only one who's puzzled / disappointed /cross....

under the new fuel consumption legislation, each variant has to be tested, and that includes optional equipment
That's a good point. I can see that some things - like different wheel sizes - would affect the fuel consumption. But surely not DIstronic nor Head Up DIsplay, neither of which would be used in the standard consumption test. And anyway, aren't these European tests (at least for now) so they will already have been tested for the German and other markets.

Was in a JLR dealer recently and you can have your pick of what you like there
Exactly.....

he also mentions the majority of "sales" are leases, and consumers want cars delivered immediately from stock,
Ok - but even though I'm happy to wait four or six months, I'm denied my preferred spec.

I suspect MB doesn't want to get stuck with hard to shift colour / trim specs when the cars come back after 3 years

I hadn't thought of that. You mean they might be wary of certain combinations for lease or PCP cars in case they're are hard to sell at the end of the period. I suppose - but we're only taking about having the Premium Plus pack on a non-Night edition. Hardly off the wall!

Anyway - have decided to keep my 2014 C207 Coupe - Palladium Silver with a great ride on 18" rims complete with pano roof, Distronic, 360 deg camera etc etc rattle-free and totally reliable. Will take out a three year service plan with the current 20% off code so they'll still get some cash out of me.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I can see that some things - like different wheel sizes - would affect the fuel consumption. But surely not DIstronic nor Head Up DIsplay, neither of which would be used in the standard consumption test. And anyway, aren't these European tests (at least for now) so they will already have been tested for the German and other markets.

Maybe different software applications use different leveks of electrickery impacting mpg and emissions?

Reactions: 219
I was keenly awaiting the release of the facelift E Class Coupe. But I’m disappointed by the restrictions MB UK have made to the specification options:
  • Premium Plus package (which includes the vital Distronic adaptive cruise control) can only be optioned if you also select the Night Edition. While it’s a matter of taste, personally I’m not a fan of the night pack.
  • If you’re ok with the night pack you get 20” rims, but no opportunity to add air suspension to improve the ride quality - unless you go for the E53 4matic.
  • No option for Head Up Display - but it’s available in other markets.
Why do MB UK do this? The factory is set up to add a wide variety of options.

Anyway, they’ve lost a sale.
Buy it abroad then and get the car you want ( traditional grille too 😄 ) .

MBUK are a PITA .

I've yet to fathom many of MB UK's decisions. Even colours available elsewhere aren't available here. Just to frustrate us even more, they show photos of lovely looking cars in their ads but don't offer those particular colours (especially interior) here in the UK. They're being turned out on the production line so why not offer them here?
With some interior parts it may not be considered cost effective to make certain parts for RHD ?

This evening I watched a programme on Cannel 4 about building Maseratis. One of the things they talked about was how proud they are with the range of options that are available to make the car unique for every customer. ”Unless you’re in the UK”, I thought to myself. Wrong. I looked on their UK website and even the bottom of the range Ghibli comes with a choice of ten different coloured interiors.

I looked on their UK website and even the bottom of the range Ghibli comes with a choice of ten different coloured interiors.

....and a wide range of other options, including: power sunroof, soft close doors, noise reducing glass, electronic suspension, heated steering wheel, hands free boot open / close, adaptive cruise control etc, etc.

This evening I watched a programme on Cannel 4 about building Maseratis. One of the things they talked about was how proud they are with the range of options that are available to make the car unique for every customer. ”Unless you’re in the UK”, I thought to myself. Wrong. I looked on their UK website and even the bottom of the range Ghibli comes with a choice of ten different coloured interiors.
....and a wide range of other options, including: power sunroof, soft close doors, noise reducing glass, electronic suspension, heated steering wheel, hands free boot open / close, adaptive cruise control etc, etc.

Base Ghibli starts at ~£20k more than a base E class - may explain some of the options available !

Base Ghibli starts at ~£20k more than a base E class - may explain some of the options available !
Base Ghibli £52,885 330bhp 3 litre V6 petrol
Base E-class £35,205 145bhp 2 litre 4 pot diesel

Base Ghibli £52,885 330bhp 3 litre V6 petrol
Base E-class £35,205 145bhp 2 litre 4 pot diesel
So compare it to a V6 E class ...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom