250td head gasket change-instructions needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mar96

Car
C270 CDi
Hi All,
It looks as if I'll have to take the cylinder head off my 1998 250TD.
One glowplug is snapped and two stuck in the thing.
I've followed excellent advice from several other members to check the plugs out and find faulty ones. Seems they're all nacked and I have 5 new ones anyway.
I was put onto a link that enabled me to print out and correctly check all the above out. Sort of like a print out Haynes type instruction manual.
I've checked the site again and there's nothing on how to change the head gasket.
Can anyone help me with this-provide a link whatever so I might
be able to change it by numbers.
Many thanx, mart

If it were mine I would find somebody who has the tool to remove broken off glowplugs and try that before removing the head :D

I'll give it a go-anyone any idea where I might find the tool? cheers

Dear mar96, I have a W210 300td same glow plug arrangement I think. 5 yrs ago at 85k one failed I replaced 3 broke two I got Derek Wells of Stowmarket to finish the job for me 6. At 184k in early Dec one failed and he has just replaced all 6 . I know what the routine is and if you serch this site there is a lot of info about the job. I am/was a qualified fitter and frankly the job is best left to somebody who is experienced at it. The labour charge was 260 and parts 99. I had the head off a 124 250TE and frankly this job is worth the £400 unless you have a head leak or some other reason to dismantle it. Trouble with these cars is that such jobs are about half teh value of the car. But would you want a newer one. Ps my 124 250D (after the TE) lost number 3 piston and the rod came through the block and took out the fuel pump. It was 10 years ago I put it down to a shift to Mobil one which was said to be ok for diesels at the time. Derk wells found me an engine and fitted it at a very fair price. I recon a sludge deposit got freed and blocked the rod lubrication channel and the small end went. Keep changing the oil as they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom