300ce widebody

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jay

The only ones I can find from any USA source are:

M12x1.5-39MM shank-95MM overall which I am using

a
Ed

Hi,

Yes those are the ones, I think your bolts simply have too longer head?

Magnificent, Ed. Just magnificent. :)
Takes great patience and dedication. Many projects start great and then die somewhere on their way.

Congratulations!

How about the acoustic difference? Has it become any more silent inside since you replaced all the rubber seals with new ones?

I hear whizzing noise whenever I exceed 70MPH and am wondering if it's worth to spend the money on 4 new door seals $$$...

Maciej...

The car was fairly tight as most of the rubber was in good shape...
If the rubbers weren't removed for paint, I would have retained the original ones..

The new door seals do however make a difference and seem tighter then when the car was new !!!

I'll be posting pix of the Gloria fire extinguisher install...of course which I obtained from you !!! ;)

Thanks !

Ed A.

The correct Gloria fire extinguisher that was supplied by forum member "Max Matt" was installed using the factory W124 bracket and hardware.
The mounting angle was reversed so it could fix to the lower part of the Recaro frame.
This allowed enough clearance for the operation of the pull out seat extension.

300CE023.jpg

300CE021.jpg

300CE020.jpg

Hi..

Just finished browsing from page 1.

Simply outstanding. And leave me speechless after a lot of ooo.. and aahh....

hey rbycc,
question on the seats... if i'm not wrong, the seats came with their own control module... so what did you do to the factory seat controls after disconnecting it??

I aplogize if this question was asked before, if so, I must have missed it scrolling through 47 pages.

love the wideness btw

hey rbycc,
question on the seats... if i'm not wrong, the seats came with their own control module... so what did you do to the factory seat controls after disconnecting it??

I aplogize if this question was asked before, if so, I must have missed it scrolling through 47 pages.

love the wideness btw

All the factory seat wiring including the modules and door mounted switches were left intact and still used.

The Recaros are mounted on the factory power seat rails so the forward/back, up/down seat movement is controlled by the factory module and switches.
Post #560 shows the custom adapters mounted to the factory power seat base.
Recaro controls do not have this ability as they typically sit on manually adjusted rails with fixed height.
The recaro seat back motor was wired into the factory under seat harness to enable the factory switch to control all power seat functions.

The Recaro seat mounted switches are not connected.

I chose this method as the stock seats can always be bolted back in without any modifications.

Ed A.

Last edited:
Ed: Do you have anymore pictures of them?

Started with a 2" x 3" unequal leg aluminum angle.
Scribed and trimmed the 2" leg to match the side of the stock mounting rail.
Fixed it at the existing factory seat mounting points using socket head screws.

300CEWIDEBODY242_zps3100d46d.jpg

The longer leg was drilled to match the bottom Recaro mounting points.

300CEWIDEBODY240.jpg

This method allows the Recaro to maintain stock height ( +1/4" ) and move with the stock rail controls and even utilizes some of the stock trim pieces.
It also allows the stock seats to be easily refitted.
Aluminum was painted matte black to match the original rail colour.

300CEWB001_zpsa52ad68d.jpg

300CEWB003_zpseeb21d6f.jpg

Tried to stay as "period" correct as possible except when a aesthetic or functional improvement could be made.
The AMG dealers "threw" these cars together in a matter of weeks...workmanship wasn't always the best !!

Last edited:
Only just saw this thread and very pleased I did. Fantastic write up and an amazing finish article. Looks so good with a great build history. Thank you very much for sharing!

Only just saw this thread and very pleased I did. Fantastic write up and an amazing finish article. Looks so good with a great build history. Thank you very much for sharing!

You'd love the finish...

Glasurit 90 system with many. many hours of color sanding to a mirror like finish.....

Pix have been taken and a feature article coming up in Mercedes Enthusiast.

Ed A.

Dude your car has had some major work and wow it looks amazing now.. The interior was a nice touch adds the extra class too it... But we'll done to you mate... Nice thread to read as u put in some work.. Keep it up..

Truly amazing project... must confess I was skeptical at first, but very very well done!

Hi Ed. I have followed your work for a while now. I really like what you have don to a car. Great job man.
But did you tested the car to see how it handles, and if you can compare it setup before conversion to wb? Does it understeer or oversteer , how it feel in general?

Hi Ed. I have followed your work for a while now. I really like what you have don to a car. Great job man.
But did you tested the car to see how it handles, and if you can compare it setup before conversion to wb? Does it understeer or oversteer , how it feel in general?

The handling is incredible....stays very flat in corners.
Haven't pushed it that hard so difficult to see if the handling characteristics have changed much....doesn't feel like anything excessive.
Oddly enough the ride quality is comparable to when it was new.

Ed A.

Hello,

I am a collector from Germany W124 Amg.
I just read the story of your coupe I love this car.

Do not you exchange it for a real e34 amg coupe? :D

Regards from Germany

Flo

Hello,

I am a collector from Germany W124 Amg.
I just read the story of your coupe I love this car.

Do not you exchange it for a real e34 amg coupe? :D

Regards from Germany

Flo

The 3.4 is a very nice AMG build...quite rare !
My widebody build will be featured along side my CLK63 Black Series in an upcoming edition of Mercedes Enthusiast....possibly the December issue. :thumb:

Ed A.

How about a completed full car photo shoot? (if you have not already done so) And full marks for your dedication i bow to your patience. :thumb:

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom