300E-24 reverse, very slow almost not working!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADY1983

MB Enthusiast
Car
300CE-24 Sportline, MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Edition, Scirocco GTII
As some of you will know I have just got a 300E-24 as a donor and I want the car running 100% before I start taking it apart, one of the things is reverse is very slow:( I have to rev it alot before it moves, but even then it struggles, I just as well say reverse does not work, any Ideas?? I have a new filter and gasket but do I fit it or not?? Is this problem bigger than just a fluid change? The car has a full service history but has not been done for the last 24k...:eek:

I would say that if the car runs okay in the forward gears, it sounds like a bigger issue than just the fluid or filter.

All I know is mine is like a scalded cat in reverse, I have to be real gentle with the throttle.

Good luck with your 'transplant'.

Cheers, Bill.

MangoMan said:

All I know is mine is like a scalded cat in reverse, I have to be real gentle with the throttle.

Cheers, Bill.

Thanks Bill, this is why I am concerned as all 3 mercs I have had, have been like scalded cats in reverse...:)

As Bill says, thinks you may have a problem.

Any Ideas what to check first??

grober said:
No brainer use your old gearbox if it was working OK.
I could but I never got to test the box properly, it was smooth and worked in reverse, but did tend to hold on to second, but then so did the 4Matic I just sold:confused: Fluid???

Not in "W" or "C" mode? On my car that reduces the reverse speed to a point that is almost useless.

Satch said:
Not in "W" or "C" mode? On my car that reduces the reverse speed to a point that is almost useless.
It wont have that. It will have E and S

Satch said:
Just tried that its the same in (S) & (E):(

Lead-free bullets for greener war

Argh!

Guys, I know what the problem is because happened to me. Apparently there is a seal inside the gearbox that goes and because the seal is leaking fluid witin the gearbox, not enough fluild pressure builds up.

This is what happened in my case, but I have been told this is most common but there can be other things.

In order to put the seal in the gearbox needs to be removed and opened.

The cheapest way out is just to put your original gearbox in.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, thats what I will do then I guess the boxes are the same??

ADY1983 said:
Thanks, thats what I will do then I guess the boxes are the same??

The boxes should be similar and the fitting should be the same.

Things to look out for in the two boxes would be to check the cable lengths for the kickdown.

Some 24V engines have 5 speed boxes. This should not be a problem if you are using your old box.

Last edited:
Autobox behaviour when cold.

ADY1983 said:
I could but I never got to test the box properly, it was smooth and worked in reverse, but did tend to hold on to second, but then so did the 4Matic I just sold:confused: Fluid???

Mercs of that era do hold on to lower gears when COLD in order to heat up the catalytic converter. That behaviour should disappear when the engine warms up however.

Yeah, just to confirm, mine holds onto 2nd. gear when cold and stops doing it within 5 minutes.

Although I have to add that I haven't got a 'Cat' though.

Cheers.
;)

Ok :confused: now, a friend popped round tonight jumped in the car put it in reverse reved it a bit and reverse worked fine, went forward again then R again it took a few seconds but then rolled back as it should, then it got warm and seems to have stopped working again. I will try it again tomorrow when its cold again...

The gearbox will need attension. The reverse not engageing properly will not have any difference to hot and cold.

If you rev it up too much you will burn the band for the reverse gear.

Ok I had another go last night, Reverse is fine when cold, but when it gets HOT! it no longer works...:confused:
Anyone?

I suppose it could be the the fluid that's cooked, and is breaking down when it gets hot. Worth a go in changing it.......???

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom