5 speed auto vs 7G-tronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AGOG

Car
S204 C200cdi AMG Edition 125
Dilemma! Still pondering a purchase of an Cdi220 S204 sport, just how much better or not is the 7G box compared to the older 5speed auto. :confused:
Which should I choose?

I much prefer the 7 speed because I sit at 80-85 a lot and the things is much better in regard to rev range and thus economy.

Think it was mid 2011 when the Mercs got the newer 7G+ 'box, that is far more economical nicer changes and locks up much quicker.

There are various opinions on the 7 speed box, my personal one is the early ones were very fragile and prone to failure, we used to rebuild loads of these. 5 speed is bomb proof and far more reliable might not give as good fuel consumption but give a much nicer drive and a far more sensible gear ratio selection. All the high Power cars such as SLS Mclaren use a 5 speed box and this quote from the motoring press says it all to me

"For durability Mercedes selected a five-speed transmission rather than their seven-speed gearbox which was more complex and used more parts."

The old 5g boxes are bullet proof so if you are concerned about reliability and potential repair bills then the 5g is the one to go for.

But.... Ms-DOS 3.11 was more reliable than Windows 8.1.... however one must move with the times... so I suppose you can't just get stuck at 5g forever and will need to make the jump to 7g (or 8g, or 9g...) at some point :D

All the high Power cars such as SLS Mclaren use a 5 speed box
Do you mean the SLR Maclaren from 10 years ago? If so, yes MB hadn't yet developed a box at that time which could handle the torque.

SLS and AMG GT use the 7-speed AMG Speedshift DCT.

But the OP is asking about a C220 CDI which doesn't quite have the same needs. Personally, I'm getting on very well with the 7G+ in my S205 C200.

Do you mean the SLR Maclaren from 10 years ago? If so, yes MB hadn't yet developed a box at that time which could handle the torque.

SLS and AMG GT use the 7-speed AMG Speedshift DCT.

But the OP is asking about a C220 CDI which doesn't quite have the same needs. Personally, I'm getting on very well with the 7G+ in my S205 C200.

Sorry yes typo SLR and a box was available that would handle the torque, it was on the test cars they were using on the ring, but they decided to go with the 5 speed for the above reasons.

The 7 speed AMG speedshift box is still not as good as the 5 speed in the SLR, all IMHO of course

In a C220 CDI I would go for the 5 speed

markjay said:
?..... however one must move with the times... so I suppose you can't just get stuck at 5g forever and will need to make the jump to 7g (or 8g, or 9g...) at some point :D

My phone has only just gone from 3G to 4G How fast are these 7G phones?

In a C220 CDI I would go for the 5 speed
Having owned a 2008 W204 C220CDI with the 5-speed 'box for 3 years and 40k-odd miles, my advice is exactly the opposite: go for a later car with the 7g+ 'box.

In other applications the 5-speed 'box is good, but in the W/S204 it's dull-witted reactions detract from the car. It's sluggish off the line, and it's reluctant to downshift unless you apply lots of throttle or use kick-down. In that car (and many others, imo) the 7g+ 'box is a much better drive. More economical, too.

Flappy paddles

I much prefer the 7 speed because I sit at 80-85 a lot and the things is much better in regard to rev range and thus economy.

Think it was mid 2011 when the Mercs got the newer 7G+ 'box, that is far more economical nicer changes and locks up much quicker.

Well, so now I have my S204 with the 7G-tronic gearbox and I absolutely love it, for the most part with passengers on board I use it in Eco mode it's tres smooth but when alone it's Sport mode for me, super quick changes and always ready, willing and able. I find that I rarely use the flappy paddles, on occasion to drop down a gear or two quickly they are useful. But I love it all! :thumb:

I've got both in 320 CDI formats and far prefer the behaviour and smoothness of the 5g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom