60 mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbob35

Car
C180 W203 Coupe (2003) 1.8L Petrol, Manual.
So my new job is further away than I would like, but thats life.. I can hit 45mpg on my petrol c180 which is outstanding I think, but I want a little more!

Looking at the diesel versions of my car they can squeeze 50mpg.. Thats OK I suppose..

But then I look at the Audi (A3) and BMW (3) variants, both of which do over 60MPG!! This is for 2.0 litre diesels, the Mercs are ~2.1 I think.

Its a shame.. Are there ANY Mercs that will do 60MPG? (except A/B class)
Im in the £6k car market.
edit: General or Engine? Thats a tough one :)

Probably not, the best I get from my C200cdi is 45mpg, before changing though consider any additional cost of changing the car and how long it would take to recoup the fuel savings.

I can get a true 60mpg out of Mrs Sp!ke's 2.4 Volvo S60 D5 which I think is outstanding.

I have seen some petrol factory fitted Dual Fuel LPG S60's on ebay going for less than £2k and I suspect you'd get the equivalent of 60MPG (pound per pound) out of one of those too AND you wouldnt have to listen to the drone of a diesel engine.

Currently getting 18mpg out of my R129. :(

You'll end up spending a lot of money to change cars to save maybe £15pw. I'd stick with what you drive to be honest unless you are due to change cars or want another motor.

Thanks all. It would take a while to recoup the cost of the petrol wouldn't it!.. Hmm.

What about the 270 CDI? I don't know if you will acheive 60 but it seems to be capable of 55+. I'm not speakinng from experience, maybe there are some owners who can give more accurate input. A colleague here at work has a C270CDI who rarely drops below 50mpg.

If you are getting a genuine 45 mpg out of your petrol, I wouldn't swap cars.

At the minute, petrol cars above 1.4 just aren't selling and diesels are selling for good money, so it could end up costing you a few quid just to get a slightly better mpg.

If you were to go for a diesel, the most obvious car for you would be the C220 manual, because if you can squeeze 45mpg out of a petrol you *should* be able to achieve 60mpg out of the diesel.

Also, I wouldn't be too envious of the Audi/BMW figures, my Dad has an Audi A6 2.0 TDi and it does about 55 mpg on a run.

I can get a true 60mpg out of Mrs Sp!ke's 2.4 Volvo S60 D5 which I think is outstanding.

I have seen some petrol factory fitted Dual Fuel LPG S60's on ebay going for less than £2k and I suspect you'd get the equivalent of 60MPG (pound per pound) out of one of those too AND you wouldnt have to listen to the drone of a diesel engine.

Currently getting 18mpg out of my R129. :(

I would be very interested in knowing how you manage to get a 60mpg? What speed are you driving and what kind of roads. Please explain. Thanks

I had a S60 D5 auto 165 bhp. Gave good mpg. Drove from Swindon to Bristol and then on to Inverness on one tank of derv. Amazed me as I was cruising on motorways at 80 ish. And in sublime comfort. Just a pig to park. Turning circle of a cruise liner without bow thrusters.

What about the 270 CDI? I don't know if you will acheive 60 but it seems to be capable of 55+. I'm not speakinng from experience, maybe there are some owners who can give more accurate input. A colleague here at work has a C270CDI who rarely drops below 50mpg.

I've C270 and I'm averaging 44mpg which i felt was good! is your colleague doing mainly motorway driving?

I have a new C220CDI auto stop/start, you can see my average mpg over 3 tanks of fuel in my signature. That's mixed driving.

On a run though it will cruise at an indicated 64mpg on a motorway at 60-65mph as soon as I take it up to 70mph it runs around 53mpg.

When considering what to buy, always remember that the mpg figures claimed by manufacturers are at best optimistic and you would have little chance of achieving anything like them in the real world.

A car which is claimed to have a figure in the range of 55-60 mpg would probably return the same or little better than the 45mpg that you achieve in your current petrol vehicle and diesel is more expensive at the pump of course.

I have a new C220CDI auto stop/start, you can see my average mpg over 3 tanks of fuel in my signature. That's mixed driving.

On a run though it will cruise at an indicated 64mpg on a motorway at 60-65mph as soon as I take it up to 70mph it runs around 53mpg.

I had one of these on loan for two days - was pretty impressed with the fuel consumption on local journeys.

Just had a drive back from Stansted yesterday in the C320 cdi. Cruising down M11, M25 and M4 - averaged 63 mph so not too dawdling - mpg read 48 mpg so I am very pleased..:thumb::thumb:

Average over the past 10,000 miles 42 mpg

Don't get a W212 350 oil burner, average over 9k miles is about 26mpg! Mainly local runs with a lead foot might account for that slightly...

i have a c220 cdi coupe (manual) i get, at best 65mpg (motorway 70mpg) and as low as 40mpg (short trips) the average over 16,000 miles is 48mpg, they are cheap to buy second hand, i saw a 2002 with 130,000 mile on the clock go for as little as £2800, tyres are around £45, and a service (12,000 mile) can cost as little as £40 to £50 (if you do it yourself), if i try i can normally get 700 mile to a tank (i think its 65 litre)....road tax is £165 per year btw

My Golf is currently averaging 62.5mpg (motorway and local road mixture). On a long run it will do 76mpg (Birmingham to Cambridge and back).

The coupe averages considerably less (<25mpg all in) but that long bonnet, the aim sight and the wafting ride means much more to me.

^ The Golfs a little more than 6K though and losing more so actually getting 65mpg over 40mpg would not make sence for the OP

I have a 220CDI auto and do 400 miles to work and 400 miles back every other week. At 77 mph (satnav speed), cruise control on most of the way and climate control on, I get 55 mpg.
Had a lot of problems with the car otherwise but can't fault the fuel consumption and lovely to drive

I think the VW Tdi engines are very very good and in a golf sized car Manual your probably looking at 50mpg almost however you drive it and 60mpg or more if your careful.

I don't think any Mercedes (as you rulled out the A and B class) will do that regularly at your budget.

Interesting if a C220cdi Manual / auto would get close?

Best I have had from wifes 2.0cdi B class Auto is 59mpg but I was crusing and aiming to get 60mpg. Overall it probably does 45 - 50 mpg.

Think although its not what you may want to hear the 2.0tdi Audi / Vw's / 1 series are very good for the money.

As others have mentioned though having say a 3K car that does 40mpg then swapping for a 6K car that does 60mpg thats a lot to save before you actaully break even? especially if you know your car and its going well. what your buying who knows...

difficult one...

ooh and you 'could' fit LPG to your car, being a 4 cyclinder it would be around £1500 for a multi point system. Then your 40mpg becomes say 65mpg as its half the price to fill...but you don't get quite double on LPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom