60 mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What about the 270 CDI? I don't know if you will acheive 60 but it seems to be capable of 55+. I'm not speakinng from experience, maybe there are some owners who can give more accurate input. A colleague here at work has a C270CDI who rarely drops below 50mpg.

My E270 estate auto gives an average 44 mpg on a run at 70-80mph, (48mpg on the computer), don't believe all the old wives' tales of 60mpg etc, only in a 1.2TDi Polo.

Just living up to my name here, :rolleyes: but I think I'm right in saying what many forget is that diesels will do no fewer mpg from start (cold) than when running (hot).

Where as a petrol :doh: like mine is, well, it must be terrible mpg while cold despite the 45 mpg (when hot).;)

My C320 shows 11.4mpg some mornings after a cold start so the average takes a long time to come up to mid 20's and gives me an average 28mpg on my 17 mile commute but if I reset the computer after a few minutes it then averages 33mpg on the computer. A neighbours E320D was running at 20mpg from the same cold start and averaged 39mpg on the same run without resetting the computer.

effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture4740-e320cdi-good-economy-aircon-heavy-load-all-no-concession-economic-driving-whisper-quiet-80plus-most-european-roads-better-economy-than-e220cdis-ive-had-perhaps-c220cdi.jpg

This was after a European driving holiday, no concession to fuel economy, cruising at 80 plus in Germany, air-con on all the time and used cruise most of the time, mixed town and motorway driving. I'm still impressed, so off to do it again next week.

Last edited:
^^^^ An odometer with built-in compass! Mercedes think of everything :bannana:

Yes Stratman, really innovative, and it was no fluke, the same thing happened the following year but lost North somewhere.
effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture4884-car-stats-sept-2010.jpg

Last edited:
speedo-1.jpg

I'm happy with this and see it regularly. Car full of holiday stuff, roof box and 3 bikes on a towbar rack.

Yesterday(sunday) we drove to blackpool and back -202 miles round trip, for £20 in our 96 300 diesel w124 steady 55-60 mph , mostly motorway, Not bad eh???

My C320 shows 11.4mpg some mornings after a cold start so the average takes a long time to come up to mid 20's and gives me an average 28mpg on my 17 mile commute but if I reset the computer after a few minutes it then averages 33mpg on the computer. A neighbours E320D was running at 20mpg from the same cold start and averaged 39mpg on the same run without resetting the computer.

Go in his car then if you doing same journey!!!

Fuel

London to Marazion Cornwall and back 54mpg, mostly about 60-70 occasionally 120 :rock: thats all I ever got from my 1.9tdi golf 5 speed manual

London to edinburgh (twice) did 50 mpg both times mostly 80
(all figures from in car computer)

2007 w204 220cdi saloon 170bhp currently only done 19,800 miles

Last edited:
Most I've ever achieved in my '04 E320 Estate is 49mpg on a 500 mile round trip to/from Manchester. There were many 50mph zones on the motorways, and I can't recall going much over the limit anywhere, it was a lazy journey.

Last 12k miles have averaged 35.5mpg.

I allowed the other half to drive my 210 a few weeks ago up to Cambridge from Dartford, M25, M11 and A14 for a few miles. She'd managed to get 60 mpg on the display by the time we had got as far as Stanstead, 60-70 mph so not dawdling. Best I've managed is about 58, she must have a slightly softer foot than me.

905 miles in one tank (42l tank) - average mpg?

Hold on guys...

90mpg :thumb::thumb:

Best ever built car for fuel economy and they never came to the UK..
anyone want to guess?

905 miles in one tank (42l tank) - average mpg?

Hold on guys...

90mpg :thumb::thumb:

Best ever built car for fuel economy and they never came to the UK..
anyone want to guess?

VW Lupo 3L?

VW Lupo 3L?

yup! guess the UP is replacing this one now.
Although only a handfull was imported to the UK (self a :bannana: owner)

but importing one of these from your country or Germany is a good choice for achieving best mpg's and there is no road tax to pay...

Or you could just pretend you died and get your family to say you want your body returned home.

I know which I'd prefer ;)

So my new job is further away than I would like, but thats life.. I can hit 45mpg on my petrol c180 which is outstanding I think, but I want a little more!

You could convert your existing car to run on LPG , which is less than half the cost of petrol , then have the running costs of a car which does 80 to 90 mpg .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom