61 plate W212 E250 7g plus- reliability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually nothing to do with it. Factually 4 pots are generally crap. If frugality is what your after buy a 1.0 VW fox.

Au contraire. If the OP wants a comfortable MB but with good long distance commuting ability and reasonable frugality, then why shouldn't he go for a 4 pot engine? I know the 250 4 pot is a damn sight more frugal than my V6, but then, frugality doesn't enter the equation for me, whereas it obviously does for the OP. Each to their own and all that. :thumb:

If you say on a car forum you want a 6 cylinder, somebody will inevitably tell you they are crap and you want a V8. It's just the way car forums are.

Au contraire. If the OP wants a comfortable MB but with good long distance commuting ability and reasonable frugality, then why shouldn't he go for a 4 pot engine? I know the 250 4 pot is a damn sight more frugal than my V6, but then, frugality doesn't enter the equation for me, whereas it obviously does for the OP. Each to their own and all that. :thumb:

If you say on a car forum you want a 6 cylinder, somebody will inevitably tell you they are crap and you want a V8. It's just the way car forums are.

The best engines bar none are generally V8 or V10 (V10 M5 was fantastic)

Depends on ones priorities, but if you say so, who am I to disagree? :thumb:

Last edited:
Whoops, duplicate post.

Depends on ones priorities, but if you say so, who am I to disagree? :thumb:

Like I say if you want frugal get a 1.0 fox.

Have to say I have bought a diesel through gritted teeth and whilst it's pretty good it's still a diesel. I only tolerate it due to it being a nice smooth 6 cylinder. I tried a 320d and indeed we have a 320d in the household but it's not as refined is the same in terms of economy despite its manual box. For me it's a no brainer.

Your right everyday I meet so many people with a lower intelligence quota. I should be God really :thumb:

If I may add to that list, you also meet people with significantly higher grammar and punctuation skills. :doh: ;)

My airport taxi driver has now got 190K on his S212 E250 and has had no problems with it. You would be hard pushed to tell its got anything like those miles on it!

Actually nothing to do with it. Factually 4 pots are generally crap. If frugality is what your after buy a 1.0 VW fox.

So all the 4 pot owners should buy a VW fox, yep that makes sense..

The E250 is refined, quick enough with the right balance of economy for me, as it is for lots of other members here, to say we should all buy a fox sounds silly.

My airport taxi driver has now got 190K on his S212 E250 and has had no problems with it. You would be hard pushed to tell its got anything like those miles on it!
There was an E350 cdi 212 with 360k on ebay recently, another airport taxi car. The 212 is looking good for reliability across the board, echoed by the Merc techs I've spoken too.

Having owned a w212 e350cdi and currently a w205 c300 I will be as honest as I can in real world difference-the E350 was indeed a very smooth economical and refined car and you would be hard pushed as a passenger to tell it was diesel if de-badged,my c300 is almost as smooth/quick(0-60 in 6.4,e350 0-60 in 6.1)and being hybrid no rattle on start up(other than from cold or in traffic/pulling away(completely silent),zero road tax and very comfortable and feels well put together-really liking this car!;)

Like I say if you want frugal get a 1.0 fox.

Have to say I have bought a diesel through gritted teeth and whilst it's pretty good it's still a diesel. I only tolerate it due to it being a nice smooth 6 cylinder. I tried a 320d and indeed we have a 320d in the household but it's not as refined is the same in terms of economy despite its manual box. For me it's a no brainer.

You bought a diesel?! If you wanted economy, you should've bought a '1.0 fox' and if you wanted a wee bit more power - maybe an amg would've been a better idea :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom