• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

75, 85, 95 mph motorway miles per kwh ?

... However, every time I kickdown and hear the growl, I crack a little rye smile 😉

Most modern high-performance cars have the exhaust note artificially engineered, often selectable using a button in the dash. Which makes me think, it should be possible to produce a naturally-silent high-performance EV that generates a range of audible fake V8 and V12 exhaust sounds. Will manufacturers pick this up, I wonder?

Yeah......how a bout a boring old white Teslas 3..........but with the sound track of an long tube headered, open piped 1969 Dodge 7.2 440 in V8!! Imagine the evil looks of the bunnies huggers when blipping it at the lights!!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Most modern high-performance cars have the exhaust note artificially engineered, often selectable using a button in the dash. Which makes me think, it should be possible to produce a naturally-silent high-performance EV that generates a range of audible fake V8 and V12 exhaust sounds. Will manufacturers pick this up, I wonder?
They could 100% do it very easily , but would it be just naff, like a upvc portico, or piping in the chuffing of a steam train to an electric train, or putting the crackle of vinyl on an mp3...

Very interesting but where do your numbers come from? What is running resistance a total of? I'm not doubting it, just very interested.

I calculated it. The running resistance is the total of rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, a climbing resistance, although I assumed for your calculation that there was no incline or wind, and 200m altitude.

it should be possible to produce a naturally-silent high-performance EV that generates a range of audible fake V8 and V12 exhaust sounds. Will manufacturers pick this up, I wonder?
I think Lotus Engineering patented this some years ago. The latest Fiat 500e synthesises the sound of an ICE but it sounds really weird because there are no gear shifts!

Even the latest C63 4 pot monstrosity uses synthesised exhaust sound according to the road tests.........of course so did the 205 C63 V8....not sure why though....

I would say that we don't talk about it much because with ICE cars there are hardly any consequences (apart for the obvious financial ones), i.e. you just stop and refuel at one of the very many petrol stations that 'litter the landscape', so to speak. But with EVs, range anxiety and the need to find a supercharger along the route makes drivers far more aware of energy efficiency.
If an ICE runs out of fuel, the AA,RAC,Green Flag etc come out with a jerrycan of petrol/diesel and off you go. An EV needs a flatbed.

Even the latest C63 4 pot monstrosity uses synthesised exhaust sound according to the road tests.........of course so did the 205 C63 V8....not sure why though....
OPF filters in the facelift models (after 2018) reduced and altered the sound.

If an ICE runs out of fuel, the AA,RAC,Green Flag etc come out with a jerrycan of petrol/diesel and off you go. An EV needs a flatbed.

True, they'll put five quid worth of fuel in your tank, which will allow you to drive to the nearest petrol station.

This is why you want to choose your roadside assistance carefully if you are driving an EV, preferring those providers who can charge your vehicle at the roadside to those who will recover your EV to the nearest charger.

My EV is insured with LV, who provide the following assistance:

Screenshot-20230909-124007-Aqua-Mail.jpg

On the plus side, there are no misfuelling issues with EVs :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS
Or just carry a spare can of electricity in the boot!....sorted!

View attachment 146434

This is indeed an issue in Australia and in some parts of the US, where some routes acros desert land simply have no petrol stations, and cars need to carry 2 or 3 thankfuls of fuel with them in order to complete the journey. It will take some time before we see EVs with a thousand mile range.

Where the CLS 55 is truly appalling is trundling around town, where 10 to 15 MPG is typical (I usually cycle in that case anyway unless I'm giving someone I left or picking someone up from the station). Obviously this is where EVs are king, and ice is quite frankly quite stupid, like a steam engine vs diesel electric, dissipating enormous amounts of heat in order to produce a tiny amount of motive power. However, every time I kickdown and hear the growl, I crack a little rye smile 😉
Or, from a different perspective - town is where I save fuel...
Using your numbers and assuming an average town speed of 10-15mph, the most fuel that can be burned in one hour is one gallon. Venture on to a motorway and at 75 and fuel will be consumed at three gallons per hour. For sure a much greater distance will be travelled when on the motorway but when the objective is to cross town that possibility becomes meaningless.

Yeah......how a bout a boring old white Teslas 3..........but with the sound track of an long tube headered, open piped 1969 Dodge 7.2 440 in V8!! Imagine the evil looks of the bunnies huggers when blipping it at the lights!!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Or perhaps Ferrari’s 412 T2. 😆😆
Stirs the soul of the departed.

Here you go. I copied it off some bloke on the Internet, but he seemed to know what he was talking about so it must be right.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Speed is maintained when the power output of the engine is equal to the running-resistance power (Pw):

Pw = Fw * V

where,
Pw is motive power (kW)
Fw is running resistance (N)
V is vehicle speed (km/h)

The running resistance is calculated as (Fw):

Fw = Fro + Fl +Fst

where,
Fw is running resistance (N)
Fro is rolling resistance (N)
Fl is aerodynamic drag (N)
Fst is climbing resitance (N)

The rolling resistance (Fro) is the product of deformation processes which occur at the contact patch between the tyre and the road surface:

Fro = F * M * G

where,
Fro is rolling resistance (N)
F is coefficient of rolling resistance [0.025 for preumatic tyre on tarmac]
M is vehicle mass (weight) (kg)
G is gravitational acceleration [9.81m/(s*s)]

Aerodynamic drag (Fl) is calculated as:

Fl = 0.5 * Ro * Cw * A * (V + Vo) * (V + Vo)

where,
Fl is aerodynamic drag (N)
Ro is air density [at 200m altitude: 1.202 kg/(m*m*m)]
Cw is drag coefficient (also commonly referred to as Cd)
A is maximum vehicle cross section (m*m)
V is vehicle speed (km/h)
Vo is headwind speed (km/h)

The climbing resistance (Fst), or downgrade force (Fst), are calculated as:

Fst = M * G * sin(Alpha)

where,
Fst = Fst is climbing resitance (N)
M is vehicle mass (weight) (kg)
G is gravitational acceleration [9.81m/(s*s)]
Alpha is gradient angle (degrees)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back