A blue ML, just like Marcos!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
It just turned out that way I suppose.
I had been looking at ML‘s on Mercedes Direct website, and saw a couple of very low mileage 08 cars which seemed good value. I know fuel prices are unlikely to fall in the future and the 4x4 may be an endangered species, but it does mean there are some bargains to be had.
My wife has hankered after an elevated driving position for some time, so as she has been in my ‘cast off’ E Class estate for over a year I said we would go and have a look on Sunday.
We drove a 08 red ML 320CDI Sport, but she was not keen on the colour and complained that the car had ‘a bit of a tilt’ whilst cornering. The finer points of the effects of a high centre of gravity would not have been the right conversation at that point, but there was a similar one in Tansanite blue with Airmatic available a few miles away. This had Alpaca grey inside and struck us both as being very classy. The ride quality was a big improvement and the car sat noticeably more level during cornering.
I hadn’t really spotted that it was the end of the month, but the staff were tripping over themselves to do a deal and deliver a car in 24hrs. I had done a little research and figured that the residuals of a 08 ML and a 06 E Class estate would be about £10k apart in two years time, so the cost of having the ML would be the price I could negotiate to change less that 10k.
I either got a massive discount on the ML or they paid way over book for the E, but a deal was struck and I am now the proud owner of a 3600 mile old ML.
I didn’t tell them that the registration plate was my wife’s initials or that the blue was my favourite colour! It also has COMAND, tow bar, CD changer, phone pre-wire and Parktronic. I will miss the memory seats, at least for the first few seconds I get in, but the Airmatic I will appreciate every mile I travel.:D

Given my wife’s vast shoe collection, there is another connection with ML d’Marcos!:crazy:

Last edited:
Looks nice,

Not a common colour although keeping such a big car clean will be fun :)

What a smashing choice of vehicle:D :D

Must admit that when it's clean mine still looks fantastic and I am in no way bored of the car at all after nearly 2yrs, I get bored with cars very quickly normally.

I must admit that the next one will probably have air-matic as my old E-Class had it and it's the only thing that I miss.

Congrats:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I've had my 'old' shape ML for over a year and for me that's a long time.

I like it, it carrys so much stuff, tows well, goes well etc

If I sold it I'm guessing I would lose an awful lot now due to petrol prices / big engine / tax ...

As much as I still look on piston heads its a superb car for the money so may have it a bit yet :)

I'll post some piccys and apart from the dirt can you spot the difference ?
Believe me it's a worthwhile mod:bannana:
29112007440.jpg
[/IMG]

07122007465.jpg
[/IMG]

And finally LOWRIDER!! It's not lowered it was just parked at a funny angle up a bank, the other rear wheel is actaully 2" off the floor:eek:

21052008016.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Does that mean with the running boards it will stay that clean?;)
Looking good!
I had an E Class estate in the same colour combo and I know how hard it can be to keep it looking nice. Think you'll agree, it is worth the effort.:)

When it's clean the colour just looks superb.

And since I had the running boards fitted in October I haven't had to wash the car once:rolleyes:

Good choice of car, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy driving mine.:D

Very smart, great colour. well done.

Nice choice of car, colour, and interior trim!! I like it!!

Finally got to drive the ML over the weekend and prise the keys away from my wife. Saturday started with a trip over to my son’s new house with a chest of draws in the back and then on to the shopping run. The car performed ok, but it was very obvious how tall and wide the car is in the supermarket car park. The engine is a little more vocal lugging over 2 tonnes away from rest than the E Class and the fuel consumption stuck resolutely below 30mpg. If I’m honest the E estate would have done these tasks at least as well and more economically and I begun to question the wisdom of my new purchase.:confused:
Sunday and dash over to Buckinghamshire to a Christening and naturally we did not leave in plenty of time. After all these years it still surprises me how long ladies can take to get ready:eek:
On the trunk roads the ML stretches its legs and settles in to an effortless cruise. I use the word cruise as it is rather akin to being in a large ship which sails majestically with little interference from the weather. I soon dismissed two of the alternative settings for the Airmatic suspension, sport being on the firm side of fidget and comfort being just the wrong side of ‘lope’. The dynamic setting is really a good compromise, ride is great and really firms up to stop the roll in spirited roundabout manoeuvres. It plays a much greater role in this high centre of gravity car than it does in my lowered S Class.
The car was a revelation on the poorly surfaced minor roads of Bucks. Pot holes were dismissed with distain and if you were forced into the rutted gutter by on coming traffic, the big wheels and supple ride meant no discomfort or suspension noises inside the car. On our return journey there were very heavy showers and gusting winds, at least that’s what it looked like outside (and Lewis coped well with!) The ability to rocket out of wet roundabouts without the interference of a flashing yellow light was noted. We averaged 60mph over a mixture of trunk roads and country lanes and never once appeared to be going quickly (or illegally!). Now I’m beginning to get this car! :D Arrived home still very fresh and saw that the car had averaged 34mpg. Not brilliant, but tolerable and it was noticed that the outbound leg against the wind was 3mpg less that the inbound journey. This car has the frontal area of a town hall, but I do want to keep it.
I have noticed a couple of small faults, some bird dropping marks on the bonnet and a COMAND system that refuses to display the map DVD after about 90mins of running, but then works after a short shutdown. I have had two fault free cars from Mercedes Direct previously, so I‘ve never had to check their customer service. I’ll let you know.;)

I'm glad to hear your enjoying the car.
I must admit that I was not too sure I had made the right decision when I got mine but after the first weeks driving I knew that I had.
I can honestly say that this is the best all round car I have ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom