• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A class rear view camera constantly opening at slow speed

Your rights in the first 30 days: The short-term right to reject​

The 2015 Consumer Rights Act covers the purchase of goods, digital content and services - including new and used cars - from official dealers.

It doesn't apply to private sales. It outlines the fact that vehicles must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. For cars purchased before 1 October 2015, the Sale of Goods Act still applies.

This Act gives you the statutory right to reject a new or used car (or anything else) within 30 days of purchase if your rights have been breached. This is called the short term 'right to reject'.

It covers faults that were present - or developing - when you bought it, or it was received in a condition that does not match what you were told. But it'll be up to you to prove that's the case. After 30 days you lose the short-term right to reject.

Your rights are against the supplier - which is the dealer (and the finance company jointly if you bought it on finance) - not the manufacturer

Your rights in the first 30 days: The short-term right to reject​

The 2015 Consumer Rights Act covers the purchase of goods, digital content and services - including new and used cars - from official dealers.

It doesn't apply to private sales. It outlines the fact that vehicles must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. For cars purchased before 1 October 2015, the Sale of Goods Act still applies.

This Act gives you the statutory right to reject a new or used car (or anything else) within 30 days of purchase if your rights have been breached. This is called the short term 'right to reject'.

It covers faults that were present - or developing - when you bought it, or it was received in a condition that does not match what you were told. But it'll be up to you to prove that's the case. After 30 days you lose the short-term right to reject.

Your rights are against the supplier - which is the dealer (and the finance company jointly if you bought it on finance) - not the manufacturer
Thank you that’s very interesting. We did reject within 30 days for this reason

2017 GLC. No issues with any cameras during our ownership until a week ago. Front facing and nearside wing mirror cameras are defective. The car went in for a service yesterday so I asked them to take look at the issue. After a scan they told me it was a wiring issue, but couldn't find the issue and then suggested I replace both (and possibly a 3rd) cameras at £502 each, plus labour ***. They performed a software update on the 360 camera system just in case that fixed the issue. The rear camera now opens and closes everytime we slow down and speed up as described above. If the system doesn't calibrate itself soon I'll be going back to get the previous version of software re-installed.

Hopefully it's just a one off recalibration and not this 'every restart of the car' boll**ks. Time will tell.

*** Since returning home I decided to remove the rear camera that was working and plug it into the front. That worked, proving the original front camera is in fact defective and a replacement is on order at a considerable saving. I then removed the LHS mirror camera and replaced it with the working RHS mirror camera and that also worked proving the original LHS mirror camera is defective, again on order.
The independent I used wanted to charge 6 hours labour to remove the front bumper to replace the front camera. Strange how I could reach the front camera by removing a plastic guard from between the radiator and the grille in 2 1/2 mins.

Hi from Barcelona guys,
Same piece of shit also here. Frustrating. Have a brand new A250 4matic with the flap behavior. Funny... :(
I hope MB can fix it with a software update soon.
Thanks for sharing the PDF doc.

Last edited:
An update on my situation. I took the car back in last month for the ‘fix’. Sadly, all the tech guy did was remove the plastic surround around the number plate as they suggested the camera flap was knocking against it, causing the noise. I know this was absolutely not the case and knew the clicking would continue the moment I left the garage. It did!

I updated my sales guy and he was as annoyed as I was! I’ve been back into the service department again today (I was hoping for 3rd time lucky!). It’s not fixed but they have ordered a new camera from Mercedes Germany which hopefully should be with them next week. The key thing I have taken away from this is they have accepted this is a fault and it shouldn’t be doing this. They believe that once the camera is calibrated it shouldn’t need to recalibrate every time the car is restarted.

I will keep you updated!

An update on my situation. I took the car back in last month for the ‘fix’. Sadly, all the tech guy did was remove the plastic surround around the number plate as they suggested the camera flap was knocking against it, causing the noise. I know this was absolutely not the case and knew the clicking would continue the moment I left the garage. It did!

I updated my sales guy and he was as annoyed as I was! I’ve been back into the service department again today (I was hoping for 3rd time lucky!). It’s not fixed but they have ordered a new camera from Mercedes Germany which hopefully should be with them next week. The key thing I have taken away from this is they have accepted this is a fault and it shouldn’t be doing this. They believe that once the camera is calibrated it shouldn’t need to recalibrate every time the car is restarted.

I will keep you updated!
Many thanks for this update. I wouldn’t be holding my breath though. I must get my to my local dealer again to advise that the camera is unable to calibrate in winter in the dark and ask them - if I have been advised that the camera has been programmed to calibrate itself every time and it can’t do so in the dark is that then a fault?

Many thanks for this update. I wouldn’t be holding my breath though. I must get my to my local dealer again to advise that the camera is unable to calibrate in winter in the dark and ask them - if I have been advised that the camera has been programmed to calibrate itself every time and it can’t do so in the dark is that then a fault?
It's 100% a fault. Absolutely no way this can be argued otherwise. The loan car I received whilst it was in the service area was a 23 plate AMG 35 A Class. There was no clicking, no silly calibrating. It behaved as a car should!

It's clearly a fault with the our specific model, maybe even a dodgy batch of cameras. I keep getting waves of optimism that this might be fixed...but then my head tells me I'm talking nonsense!

It's 100% a fault. Absolutely no way this can be argued otherwise. The loan car I received whilst it was in the service area was a 23 plate AMG 35 A Class. There was no clicking, no silly calibrating. It behaved as a car should!

It's clearly a fault with the our specific model, maybe even a dodgy batch of cameras. I keep getting waves of optimism that this might be fixed...but then my head tells me I'm talking nonsense!
Was your loaner definitely the 23 updated model with the new steering wheel and not a late previous version?

I had a brand new 73 plate a class saloon with the AI camera set up and had no issues with reverse camera.. didn't even hear a noise when it operated..

I had a brand new 73 plate a class saloon with the AI camera set up and had no issues with reverse camera.. didn't even hear a noise when it operated..
I wonder if it is different in a saloon which has a closed off boot rather than a hatchback so you can’t hear the camera operation so readily.

If you have the same issue please read the details below and
My dealership spent 3 weeks with software update, renewed camera control unit and replacement camera then to be informed this is per design is a ploy to stop complaints.
I have sent this to [email protected] as I was informed by the dealer ship (SYTNER Sunderland UK) that MB will not resolve if a threshold is not attained
You need to raise this with MB and your dealership.
GLA 200 2023 New model Executive AMG

Reverse Camera repeated deployment/retraction recalibration on every ignition start.

A very frustrating and irrational function for vehicle performance.

I cannot understand the repeated Reverse Camera recalibration program at each ignition start.

The requirement to drive at less the 30KPH and not to deviate steering by 10 Deg to complete this calibration is non-sensible.

If the vehicle is driven more than 30KPH the camera retracts

Less than 20KPH the camera redeploys.

This is repeated for numerous cycles until it decides that recalibration cannot be achieved.

To design a component to fail in its lifecycle will result in expensive replacement in the future.

The software program is poorly designed and ill conceived and needs to be elevated through to the MB factory for resolution.

Options to consider in a review of the program logic.

• Do not deploy the camera in forward drive.
  • Cancel the recalibration program cycle if the vehicle is in the forward drive above 30KPH.
  • If the Reverse Camera needs a recalibration requirement the tolerances of GOOD/NO GOOD bandwidth need to be greater than what is in the program logic at present.
Questions

• Why does the Reverse Camera deploy even when you go directly to forward drive mode?
  • For the Reverse Camera to complete a recalibration at every ignition start they must be some safety requirement in its design for the vehicle to be driven?
  • Does the PARKTRONIC feature need this detailed calibration in its functionality and if errors exist in its calibration has an adverse impact on the vehicles safety features?
  • Does the Reverse Camera when the car is selected to reverse require this feature and is integrated within the rear sensors for collision calibration?
  • If this is not the case then why does this functionality exist and the vehicle continues to recalibrate for multiple cycles until it stops.
  • If recalibration is not required then why is the feature installed in the 1st place?

The only time mine has done anything like that was when it was in the calibration process, it does not do it normally. As for the car anticipating you selecting reverse, I say that's not true either. When my camera opened up selecting first gear it was to initiate the calibration process, it was not anticipating you selecting reverse. You are correct that it only calibrates up to approx 15mph then closes again. What you are describing with yours is the calibration process not completing and is stuck in a loop like mine was, but somehow, it decided one day to complete the process and has not done it since.
My dealership spent 3 weeks with software update, renewed camera control unit and replacement camera then to be informed this is per design is a ploy to stop complaints.
I have sent this to [email protected] as I was informed by the dealer ship (SYTNER Sunderland UK) that MB will not resolve if a threshold is not attained

Reverse Camera repeated deployment/retraction recalibration on every ignition start.

I cannot understand the repeated Reverse Camera recalibration program at each ignition start.

The requirement to drive at less the 30KPH and not to deviate steering by 10 Deg to complete this calibration is non-sensible.

This is repeated for numerous cycles until it decides that recalibration cannot be achieved.

To design a component to fail in its lifecycle will result in expensive replacement in the future.

The software program is poorly designed and ill conceived and needs to be elevated through to the MB factory for resolution.

• Cancel the recalibration program cycle if the vehicle is in the forward drive above 30KPH.
  • If the Reverse Camera needs a recalibration requirement the tolerances of GOOD/NO GOOD bandwidth need to be greater than what is in the program logic at present.
Questions

• Why does the Reverse Camera deploy even when you go directly to forward drive mode?
  • For the Reverse Camera to complete a recalibration at every ignition start they must be some safety requirement in its design for the vehicle to be driven?
  • Does the PARKTRONIC feature need this detailed calibration in its functionality and if errors exist in its calibration has an adverse impact on the vehicles safety features?
  • Does the Reverse Camera when the car is selected to reverse require this feature and is integrated within the rear sensors for collision calibration?
  • If this is not the case then why does this functionality exist and the vehicle continues to recalibrate for multiple cycles until it stops.
  • If recalibration is not required then why is the feature installed in the 1st place?

Hi All,

I just took my car from the dealership 2 days ago, brand new car, and I was so upset when I found out about the camera calibration process. After one day of wondering what could be wrong with the car and that noise, finally realised that it was the camera cover opening and the camera popping out. Managed to calibrate it for a day , drove forward in a long parking lot for about 1 min at 17 mph, camera popped out and retracted and I was happy thinking that thats it. Next morning, first roundabout and the sound was back :(.
I will keep on trying to recalibrate it , read somewhere that the car needs around 5 mins of being in calib. process.That means that i will still have to go for a few times to that parking lot to do it.
But meanwhile, maybe MB will come with some kind of an update because this is my 3rd car with them, but could lead to a change in my buying behaviour and next time will choose another brand if this situation wont be fixed.

Questions

I find it extremely frustrating and is ruining the experience of driving the car. I took it back to Mercedes for review. Same response as mentioned elsewhere, that it’s not an error but the car is supposed to do this. I’m trying to find a way to formally raise this as an issue, but haven’t had a response after 3 attempts to get contact details.

Questions

We heard you the first time!

Questions

Good luck with your query - very interested in the response you get although I wouldn’t hold my breath. I wrote to MB regarding this camera issue and their response was that this was a normal operation and there is therefore no fault. I wrote again, twice, asking for an explanation as to why this constant calibration was necessary, much as you have done, but they have simply ignored me each time. You should have included the fact that, during the hours of darkness, the camera cannot complete the calibration at all so opens and closes all the time rather than just four or five times (for me anyway) during daylight hours. If the camera has been programmed to complete a calibration every time the car is started but cannot do so during darkness is this then a fault?

My latest update -

Car went into the service team last Thursday with a view to fitting a new camera system that had arrived from Germany. Call received on Friday to say that the components they received wouldn't work and they need to investigate further.

Fast forward one week, I called for an update. Still not fixed and the tech team have had to send sound files (recording the noise that the flap makes) over to Mercedes Portugal for review. The initial response they received was that this is normal (at which point my head started banging against the wall). My car is still with them awaiting a further update.

In the meantime, it has been an absolute joy driving the loan A Class THAT DOESN'T CLICK EVERY TIME I SPEED UP AND SLOW DOWN!!

My latest update -

Car went into the service team last Thursday with a view to fitting a new camera system that had arrived from Germany. Call received on Friday to say that the components they received wouldn't work and they need to investigate further.

Fast forward one week, I called for an update. Still not fixed and the tech team have had to send sound files (recording the noise that the flap makes) over to Mercedes Portugal for review. The initial response they received was that this is normal (at which point my head started banging against the wall). My car is still with them awaiting a further update.

In the meantime, it has been an absolute joy driving the loan A Class THAT DOESN'T CLICK EVERY TIME I SPEED UP AND SLOW DOWN!!
I currently have another query lodged with MB through the dealership where I bought the car. This time I particularly highlighted the fact that the camera is unable to calibrate itself at all during hours of darkness and I have said that surely this can’t be right. Still waiting for a response but I suspect nothing will be done. Will keep you all posted if something comes through. It’s very frustrating isn’t it.

If they cant stop it opening and closing all the time, can they not do something to silence it so you cant hear it from inside the car such as remount on rubber or somehow damp the shutter to make it inaudible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom