• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A class rear view camera constantly opening at slow speed

If they cant stop it opening and closing all the time, can they not do something to silence it so you cant hear it from inside the car such as remount on rubber or somehow damp the shutter to make it inaudiblI'

If they cant stop it opening and closing all the time, can they not do something to silence it so you cant hear it from inside the car such as remount on rubber or somehow damp the shutter to make it inaudible?
This is what I’ve said to them. In this nonsensical situation where a car built in 2023 has to ‘recalibrate’ (whatever that means in this instance) every time the engine starts, but cannot perform this function at night then surely make then mechanism silent.

It’s a fault. Simple as that.

They’ve tried removing the number plate surround and repositioning the camera itself, but we all know that would make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

This is what I’ve said to them. In this nonsensical situation where a car built in 2023 has to ‘recalibrate’ (whatever that means in this instance) every time the engine starts, but cannot perform this function at night then surely make then mechanism silent.

They’ve tried removing the number plate surround and repositioning the camera itself, but we all know that would make absolutely no difference whatsoever.
I agree it’s a fault. MB say it’s not a fault because it has been designed to operate in this way. That may be correct from their technical point of view but from a customer point of view the design is basically flawed and therefore not fit for purpose. Lets say MB designed the door mirrors such that, every time the car started, the mirrors went through some sort of recalibration sequence which meant they ended up back at the original factory default position which was no good for you and so had to be adjusted every time. MB could say - well that’s what they have been designed to so so it’s not a fault. Yes, but it’s nonsensical and unacceptable so therefore a faulty design from a customer viewpoint. How is this camera issue any different? I have asked MB for an explanation as to why the recalibration is required so I could at least understand and check the logic but they won’t reply to this question.

I wouldn't believe a word Mercedes is telling you, rear cameras have been on cars for years now without the need to recalibrate from year to year let alone every time you start the car up.
My own camera ( C Class) was silent for 4 or 5 years, then it wanted to recalibrate every time I went out for a month or more and always failed. I spent hours driving around empty industrial estates to let it recalibrate but I gave up in the end and had to listen to it opening up and closing until one day for no apparent reason it stopped doing it and has worked as normal ever since.
My SLC, same age and based on the C Class has never done this.
These cars are comprehensively tested by the manufacturers, consumer groups and road tested by motoring magazines, yet no-one has ever noticed or commented on this noise from the camera? Which can only mean that they are not all doing it and only certain examples are experiencing this fault.

I wouldn't believe a word Mercedes is telling you, rear cameras have been on cars for years now without the need to recalibrate from year to year let alone every time you start the car up.
My own camera ( C Class) was silent for 4 or 5 years, then it wanted to recalibrate every time I went out for a month or more and always failed. I spent hours driving around empty industrial estates to let it recalibrate but I gave up in the end and had to listen to it opening up and closing until one day for no apparent reason it stopped doing it and has worked as normal ever since.
My SLC, same age and based on the C Class has never done this.
These cars are comprehensively tested by the manufacturers, consumer groups and road tested by motoring magazines, yet no-one has ever noticed or commented on this noise from the camera? Which can only mean that they are not all doing it and only certain examples are experiencing this fault.
Agreed. I don’t believe anything MB are telling me - it’s all bollocks as far as I am concerned. My C class camera does not go through any calibration sequence as far as I am aware and certainly there are no noises. I did take another A class for a test drive and it did the same. My next door neighbour has recently taken delivery of a new A class and it also does the noisy calibration thing whereas his previous generation A class did not.

So my car has been with the service team for 2 weeks, still no fix that I'm aware of. I did have to collect something from the boot the other day, when I opened it I can see there has been a bit of action. Here's what it all looks like under the plastic!IMG_6251.jpeg

So my car has been with the service team for 2 weeks, still no fix that I'm aware of. I did have to collect something from the boot the other day, when I opened it I can see there has been a bit of action. Here's what it all looks like under the plastic!View attachment 152970
I can’t understand what they are doing under there as I would have thought it must be a software programming issue rather than a hardware problem.

Latest update. Just had a call that they’ve ordered a new camera and it should be coming next week. I can only assume it’s going to be a camera system from a previous model?

Latest update. Just had a call that they’ve ordered a new camera and it should be coming next week. I can only assume it’s going to be a camera system from a previous model?
I would have thought that a camera is just a camera and that its opening and closing is controlled by a software programme not by the camera itself. Very interested to hear how you get on so please keep us posted - many thanks for the updates.

Seen a brand new CLE 220d today and the rear camera was in operation whilst driving ahead of me and then not long ago just seen an 2019 e class cabriolet with the same issue..reminded me instantly of this thread! :rolleyes:

Btw why is this thread under engine section lol?

I would have thought that a camera is just a camera and that its opening and closing is controlled by a software programme not by the camera itself. Very interested to hear how you get on so please keep us posted - many thanks for the updates.

I don't have a definitive answer, but just to say that many hardware components these days have built-in chips that contain software (firmware), which is not always upgradeable. If you look at electronic engine modules for example, they will often have the software revision printed on the label.

So the service team has now had my car for just over three weeks!

No update this week, so I'm assuming they're still waiting for the new camera system. No rush on my part as I'm enjoying driving the loan car that doesn't click!

If after three + weeks it doesn't come back to me fixed I might just lose the plot!

I too am another of the customers affected by this issue.

I had 2 previous A class with no issues however having changed my car in the autumn I have had nothing but hassle. On a short journey to drop my kids at school it might open and close 14 times, same again on the way back. Every time I slow down camera opens again and closes when I speed up.

We live in an area where all urban areas have a 20mph limit and therefore it cannot complete the calibration. Dealer said that in order to do this I must not deviate by 10% and go over 20 mph however this is completely impractical on my journey.

I sat at the dealers for 2 1/2 hours once day and got the car back with the number plate housing removed. It then went back again and I was told there was a fault which they couldn't fix and they would be in touch when they could.

At this point I raised a formal complaint and the car went away for a number of weeks. They then told me that it was a "characteristic" and that I would have to live with it.

I then tried to formally reject the car and another courtesy car arrived and I am still running around in it about a month later.

I have had nothing but great support from the dealer however Mercedes Benz UK haven't even had the courtesy to reply to any of my emails.

I spoke to their customer services team and was given a number for their Head Office however when I phoned there I was told they couldn't help and that I should contact the dealer.

The dealer's general manager has been very helpful but I am now becoming very frustrated.

I got a formal reply from Mercedes Benz finance and was told this was a characteristic and as a result they wouldn't allow me to formally reject and if I was dissatisfied I could go to the financial services ombudsman.

I then looked on their website and see that there are 100's of formal complaints about Mercedes Benz Finance. I just don't know what to do next - I love Mercedes and my father and brother drive them too but I can't live with a car with this noise which is distracting and annoying. My last 2 never had this issue and the courtesy cars which I have been given don't either so there must be something that can be done to fix this problem.

I had 2 previous A class with no issues however having changed my car in the autumn I have had nothing but hassle. On a short journey to drop my kids at school it might open and close 14 times, same again on the way back. Every time I slow down camera opens again and closes when I speed up.

We live in an area where all urban areas have a 20mph limit and therefore it cannot complete the calibration. Dealer said that in order to do this I must not deviate by 10% and go over 20 mph however this is completely impractical on my journey.

I sat at the dealers for 2 1/2 hours once day and got the car back with the number plate housing removed. It then went back again and I was told there was a fault which they couldn't fix and they would be in touch when they could.

At this point I raised a formal complaint and the car went away for a number of weeks. They then told me that it was a "characteristic" and that I would have to live with it.

I then tried to formally reject the car and another courtesy car arrived and I am still running around in it about a month later.

I have had nothing but great support from the dealer however Mercedes Benz UK haven't even had the courtesy to reply to any of my emails.

I spoke to their customer services team and was given a number for their Head Office however when I phoned there I was told they couldn't help and that I should contact the dealer.

The dealer's general manager has been very helpful but I am now becoming very frustrated.

I got a formal reply from Mercedes Benz finance and was told this was a characteristic and as a result they wouldn't allow me to formally reject and if I was dissatisfied I could go to the financial services ombudsman.

I then looked on their website and see that there are 100's of formal complaints about Mercedes Benz Finance. I just don't know what to do next - I love Mercedes and my father and brother drive them too but I can't live with a car with this noise which is distracting and annoying. My last 2 never had this issue and the courtesy cars which I have been given don't either so there must be something that can be done to fix this problem.

From what I read on this thread, there's some hope in the shape of a replacement camera (under warranty) that apparently comes with new firmware that stops it from doing the endless calibration process?

I feel your pain.

My car has been with them for just over a month to resolve the clicking issue.

The latest update I received was last Wednesday. A new camera system had arrived from Germany and was being fitted and programmed that day. I was told that one of the service guys would take the car home with him that night to ensure the clicking didn't occur in the dark. Five days on and I haven't heard anything from them, so I'm going to assume the fault hasn't been fixed.

I feel your pain.

My car has been with them for just over a month to resolve the clicking issue.

The latest update I received was last Wednesday. A new camera system had arrived from Germany and was being fitted and programmed that day. I was told that one of the service guys would take the car home with him that night to ensure the clicking didn't occur in the dark. Five days on and I haven't heard anything from them, so I'm going to assume the fault hasn't been fixed.
The thing for me is what constitutes a fault and what constitutes a characteristic. I had assumed that the new model was better than my 2 1/2 year old car! I hadn't test driven the new car as it was ordered from stock online. If I had driven and had heard the clicking I wouldn't have bothered and would have bought a new car from another manufacturer or would have kept my old car until my PCP was up at the end of March. The fact that they are keeping our cars to fix says to me that there must be something that needs fixing. It also appears that Mercedes themselves won't put anything in writing and this is all on the basis of hearsay from my dealer.

The thing for me is what constitutes a fault and what constitutes a characteristic. I had assumed that the new model was better than my 2 1/2 year old car! I hadn't test driven the new car as it was ordered from stock online. If I had driven and had heard the clicking I wouldn't have bothered and would have bought a new car from another manufacturer or would have kept my old car until my PCP was up at the end of March. The fact that they are keeping our cars to fix says to me that there must be something that needs fixing. It also appears that Mercedes themselves won't put anything in writing and this is all on the basis of hearsay from my dealer.

And that is exactly the point. If this ridiculous clicking camera ‘feature’ is something that they are adamant should happen then we would have had our cars back immediately. The fact they’ve had mine for a month, having two components ordered in from Germany clearly shows that something is wrong and needs resolving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom