A close call with a branded car Battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedescl500

Car
CL500 with Brabus Bits and 1 Big Suprise
A close call, my car battery failed like a champion 2 days ago. My car battery developed an internal fault which caused it to "arc". The battery lost all power instantly and burned a small section of the battery cover (carpet cover in boot). Needless to say it was still under guarantee from the parts supplier (has there logos all over it) and less than 18months old. The computer (theirs) showed that I purchased it within the last 18months but as I had lost the invoice they would not replace it. I've never come across this problem before, but luckily it caused no damage. So in summary I would never buy a "car parts wholesalers" own version of a branded battery ever again, even if they are made by the same people using the same processes as the equivalent more expensive "branded" ones.

This could have resulted in a major fire inside the boot. I count myself very lucky. :thumb:

Failure was caused by a loose Positive Post (the one which is on the battery itself). It was wobbling when moved by hand.

Last edited:
Sue them. They have proof of purchase and are not honoring their guarantee.

As part of their testing procedure for returns they load tested the battery and said its fine. I argued as much as I possibly could but it was getting nowhere, and rather than it leading to a high blood pressure moment I just left it. Even the manager was barely out of nappies. I have since bought a VARTA H3 830cca battery which has a 5 year guarantee. The battery which is faulty will be "deposited" at the suppliers in a timely fashion. Nothing like a bit of bad publicity.

Problem is if you persist with your case they might just offer to replace it with another "ying tong iddle i po" one :wallbash:- second time around it might just succeed in burning your car to crisp?:eek:

Did the supplier actually fit the battery or did you fit it yourself?

If you fitted it I suppose their get out would be that the damage was probably caused at the time of fitting.

Did the supplier actually fit the battery or did you fit it yourself?

If you fitted it I suppose their get out would be that the damage was probably caused at the time of fitting.

You pretty much summed it all up. "must be fitted by recommended technician".

P.S. The battery is an equivalent bosch item from a very large German and French parts company. Wish I had bought the Bosch, hind sight 20/20.

Had this with Halford, they refused to replace their own-brand battery under warranty until I went home and fetched the original receipt (to be fair, they agreed to sell me a new battery so I can get home and then refund me in full once I brought back the receipt).

This is in spite of the fact that their own-brand battery carried 4 years warranty, and had the manufacture date stamped on it - showing it was only 12 month old....

Yes, a manufacturer's warranty is a safer bet than a shop warranty.

I find play fair and be firm. Especially if they have it on their system.

When they won't listen and quote internal policies, and it's against this that and the other trash the play safe in the knowledge you have tried your best :D

In all seriousness, photos, and email to head office doesn't take too long and just keep bouncing it back saying you are not satisfied with the response and you wish to take it further.

If the supplier sponsors this/a forum maybe a PM to the user for that company might help.

A company who is willing to risk posts on the internet is brave. One bad post means a lot of failed sales, as long as it is functional and backed up with proof and a honest story. Not like the CKS Performance thread which is disappointing that it is still there.

A recommended technician is a loose statement. They could claim anyone is not recommended, and if buying over the counter in the shop they are happy to sell it to you, but should state to you that the battery warranty is invalidated without a fitting invoice. Which is likely they did not do.

People have claimed back PPI for less effort!

The catch with "having it on their system" or a manufacturer date, is that a shop warranty is only valid for the person that buys it. So if you then sell your car, the new owner doesn't have a warranty on the battery. (my understanding of the matter - happy to be told otherwise).

The part that bugs me is that heat printed receipts fade away after a few months... so I take a picture of any receipts that carry a warranty and email them to myself.

M.

Did you pay on a credit or debit card? If you know when it was bought you could show the transaction from yourself to them on one of your statements.

We always fit genuine MB batteries. They are made to MB's spec. They are a few quid but my old ML has a 12 year old original battery!

My original battery gave up after 10 years, unfortunately MB Bromley didn't have any stock when I needed it replaced so I had little choice but to get a 100amp from KwikFit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom