A diesel S class????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm, you might be right there - do you think that is where we keep going wrong? Telling people not what they want to hear? :devil:

I think the OP wanted some advice, but he didn't want that advice really.

Last sentance, post 15, says it all.

And yes, is the answer:eek:

I think there will always be a market for the big petrol V8. Perhaps with the rise of the hydrogen fuel cell there will be more petrol left for those still wiling to play with the big engines?

hells teeth! your playing with fire now!!!!

I think the OP wanted some advice, but he didn't want that advice really.

Last sentance, post 15, says it all.

And yes, is the answer:eek:

Alright, time to bring this thread to a close.

I will start looking for a nice well looked after S class. AND yes, whichever one feels right, will be the one I buy.

Thank you everyone for all your advice!
:rock:

Don't forget to come back and let us decide which car you should buy after you have seen a nice V8 petrol version.:D

quote=scumbag;694271]Don't forget to come back and let us decide which car you should buy after you have seen a nice V8 petrol version.:D[/quote]

Yep course I will. Thakns a lot

I think there will always be a market for the big petrol V8. Perhaps with the rise of the hydrogen fuel cell there will be more petrol left for those still wiling to play with the big engines?
hells teeth! your playing with fire now!!!!

No he's not, it'll never happen for a number of reasons and anyway, what rise of fuel cells.?

Hydrogen fuel cell cars are the manufacturers way of distracting the public from asking for more efficient engines now.

Your sig indicates you have modified the coding on your car-is it possible for me to do this to mine? The newer version gets to program the car to fold mirrors and move seats etc when the key is put in/taken out. I wouldn't mind having this feature on mine (for now)

No he's not, it'll never happen for a number of reasons and anyway, what rise of fuel cells.?

Hydrogen fuel cell cars are the manufacturers way of distracting the public from asking for more efficient engines now.

Don't you start!!!!

An interesting angle, and I hope you're wrong. When the internal combustion engines time has come, (which is when oil prices start to really surge or when it runs out) we need to have something else.

Fuel cells are of particular interest as they will allow the car to continue as a car as we know it. Batteries (unless the game really moves on) are expensive, heavy, and have a poor range. Storing H2 fuel in a tank and running a fuel cell gives a lighter car, and a better range with a quicker refulling than charging a battery.

Creating hydrogen requires more energy than it gives back when burning, fuel cells require precious metals which are in short supply, fuel cells can't create enough power for heavy vehicles, transporting and storing hydrogen is a major problem. The fuel tank requires a lot of space.

So, other than unsuitability, danger when transporting and storing fuel, not enough metals to manufacture production numbers, massive cost to produce, high cost to generate the fuel and the energy balance being negative, there's no problem....

Manufacturers have had running fuel cell cars for well over a decade, but still non in production for general release...wonder why..??

Your sig indicates you have modified the coding on your car-is it possible for me to do this to mine? The newer version gets to program the car to fold mirrors and move seats etc when the key is put in/taken out. I wouldn't mind having this feature on mine (for now)

The majority of coding mods are feasible because another model in the range have those features i.e. the features simply "switched off"!

I do not know what's possible with the S class. If the features you are after were available as an option on your model and year then the likelyhood is high.

The people most experienced in "up-coding" Mercedes cars are Alfie and Richard from comand.co.uk. Both are members of the forum.

Creating hydrogen requires more energy than it gives back when burning, fuel cells require precious metals which are in short supply, fuel cells can't create enough power for heavy vehicles, transporting and storing hydrogen is a major problem. The fuel tank requires a lot of space.

So, other than unsuitability, danger when transporting and storing fuel, not enough metals to manufacture production numbers, massive cost to produce, high cost to generate the fuel and the energy balance being negative, there's no problem....

Manufacturers have had running fuel cell cars for well over a decade, but still non in production for general release...wonder why..??[/quote]

The economic climate has not be favourable. Consumers have been ignorant and the enviromental pressure has not been there..

The economic climate has not be favourable. Consumers have been ignorant and the enviromental pressure has not been there..

Yet Toyota has stolen a march with hybrids and Tesla with battery cars. I would have thought that BMW could've got a few ultra rich to part with enough funds for an enviro 7 series before now..they've had them on the road for well over a decade.
The economic climate may be an issue now, but we've had over 15 years of boom..

That still doesn't get over the materials supply problem and that hydrogen uses more energy to make than it gives back when burning it. That's a pretty major issue.

Yet Toyota has stolen a march with hybrids and Tesla with battery cars. I would have thought that BMW could've got a few ultra rich to part with enough funds for an enviro 7 series before now..they've had them on the road for well over a decade.
The economic climate may be an issue now, but we've had over 15 years of boom..

Yes but no infrastucture for H2 powered 7 series, which uses an IC engine. There is no reason why H2 cars need to power fuel cells. I don't know this, but how long do fuel cells last? Longer than batteries, longer than the lifecyle of an diesel engine in a car (500k miles)

That still doesn't get over the materials supply problem and that hydrogen uses more energy to make than it gives back when burning it. That's a pretty major issue.

Well you're right there, but H2 is used as a major industrial feedstock (ammonia production using the haber process) and this H2 comes from somewhere ;) - its stored too before hand and the beemer 7 and honda clarity car prove it can be used for cars.

Renewable energy, and that source of energy using uranium may become sources of power where we overcome this energy deficit to make H2.

Well you're right there, but H2 is used as a major industrial feedstock (ammonia production using the haber process) and this H2 comes from somewhere ;) - its stored too before hand and the beemer 7 and honda clarity car prove it can be used for cars.

Renewable energy, and that source of energy using uranium may become sources of power where we overcome this energy deficit to make H2.

There isn't enough uranium for significant electricity to be produced from it, and that creates a whole raft of other problems, not least cost, Co2 production and radioactive pollution..

As far as feedstock goes, there is no need to be bothered about energy balance, just cost to produce.

Seriously I don't think there is a magic wand to make Hydrogen work for cars.

As has been observed, no S class will be 'cheap' to run. I have no doubt that the diesel will match the petrol for both noise and comfort, but I have a diesel because I love the effortless (and near silent) shove at low revs and the fact that I can do 800 miles without seeing a fuel station.
A friend has a S500 with 250k miles on it which he uses to do executive airport runs and maintains that it is cheaper to keep his treasured petrol than pay to change to a diesel which tend to hold their prices a little better.
The petrol won't do this though!

I would prefer the petrol myself

Alan

Last edited:
The electricity in batteries takes more energy to produce than we get from the batteries but we still use them. Energy is lost at the power station and in transmission.

We are happy to use up some extra energy in exchange for having it on tap where we want it. So this doesn't seem much of an argument against hydrogen IMO.

You can drive just a fast and exceed just as many speed limits in the S320cdi as you can in the 500. Both do speeds none of us will use. But the diesel will do it all at lower revs and in a far more relaxed way. If you are going for pleasure take the diesel. And you will save too. Nice bonus.

That's just plain wrong.

Who says the speeds wont be used?

I don't use the speeds mine has over a 320CDI for 99% of the time, but the 1% when I do it is more than worth the extra expense.

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom