• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

About to buy my first Merc - what should I look out for?

jamesc77

Car
C240 Sport
Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place for this posting... I had a look though the various forums and thought this is probably the right place?!

I'm about to purchase my first Merc, which providing all goes well will be a C240 Sport. I've found a lovely looking one, a 98R coming up to 80000 miles on the clock. It's got a FSH, but should there be any specific jobs that should have been done that I need to ask about/check? I understand the plugs are likely to be due a replacement (unless they've been done already), which asking at my local dealership in Chelmsford scared me a little!

James

Hi

Sounds a nice car.

If you search the forum their are other posts that cover this but the main thing to look for is rust. concentrate on the door bottoms, wheelarches and bootlid around the lock. While these cars are supposed to have a 30 year bodywork garantee you have little chance of making a claim once the car is over 8 years old....

good luck and I hope you find a nice car.

Welcome!

Rust,

Check all 4 wheelarches, around the bootlid handle, the bootlock, under all door seals.

Last edited:
Rust.

Spotted a theme yet?

And welcome, btw! :)

Welcome. After having sorted out the rust - you should be looking for the big grin:D :D If it doesn't make you grin or inwardly smile then there's something wrong;) :D

Hi and Welcome...:) The 202 is a nice solid car I think the C240 can be a bit thirsty though...

Find out when the plugs were last changed, it can make for an expensive service.

C240 can be a bit thirsty though...

I havent noticed mine being thirsty? :)

Check all the electrics & the aircon.

Also, check how it starts, should be smooth, as some (including mine) needed the ignition mech re-lubing.

Last edited:
If I floor it, otherwise its virtually the same as my C180 :)

Just check usual things, like for rust (mine has two spots on the bootlid and on one arch!) and check everything works and check that all the dates and stamps on the service book add up. Tyres etc etc.... I'm on my 2nd w202 and have no major problems to report! Pretty good honest cars in my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome,

Don't forget to check for rust.;)

Not in a position to comment on the C240's fuel economy, it's bound to be better than mine!

Our FD used to have a C240 estate, I borrowed it once and drove it to Paris and back, lovely smooth car (especially on the lovely smooth French autoroutes).

Good luck with the search..

Cheers,

Gaz

Wow, thanks all for the words of advice :) Fingers crossed it's a good one. Might have to watch the fuel economy, I'm prone to having a heavy right foot now and again...

It's nice to find a friendly club to be part of. Feel at home already!

James

Wow, thanks all for the words of advice :) Fingers crossed it's a good one. Might have to watch the fuel economy, I'm prone to having a heavy right foot now and again...

It's nice to find a friendly club to be part of. Feel at home already!

James

Drinks on you then:devil:

A heavy right foot will make any car's economy bad.
I should know, I can get mine well down into single figures:crazy:

I should know, I can get mine well down into single figures:crazy:

Can't we all - get yours down into single figures that is:devil: :devil: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom