ABS BAS ESP warning display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulGrogan

Hi guys,

Yep, its another ABS/ESP/BAS topic!

Background - Mercedes S500 (2004)

Around 6 weeks ago I went through a deep puddle and the ABS/ESP/BAS visit workshop was displayed. After reading the website I deduced a brake switch problem. I changed the brake switch and everything worked fine and cleared the faults for a couple of weeks.

The car was then parked up for approx 5 weeks and the battery went flat. I had to access the battery in the boot using the key. I jumped it and everything worked fine. I took it for a long run to charge the battery. No further battery/starting problems so I presume its holding a good charge.

After a couple of days, I was sat at traffic lights and the ABS/ESP/BAS pre safety system warning appeared as I slowly pulled away. I though it must be the brake switch again. I purchased another official Merc brake switch. I fitted it outside the dealers. The faults cleared. As soon as I drove off and pressed the brake the faults re-appeared.

I have tried the following -

1. changed brake switch
2. Inflated tyres (one front tyre was slightly low)
3. Turned steering wheel left/right full lock
4. Checked brake lights (all working including high rear brake)

Cannot use cruise control
It seems to drive fine apart from slightly less power steering (steering feels slightly heavier at low speeds)
It is not in 'limp mode'

When I press the brake pedal I can hear a single 'click' noise under the gear selector (auto) - it sounds like a relay of some sort.

Any ideas or info?

Last edited:
You need to get the fault codes read, you could spend a lot of money guessing at it.
It will point you in the right direction

The battery also needs fully charging, charging on the car will only get it to about 70% charge, for a full charge it needs a mains charger.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom