• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Adblue - are they all the same?

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
New to Adblue and all its delights to come. Are all Adblue refills the same, or are there better brands to go for, in the way that some say Shell is to petrol?

Hope this helps:-

Is All AdBlue the Same?​

There are several different types of AdBlue.

These are differentiated by International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) 22241 numbers.

ISOs ensure that the AdBlue you use is effective and has been created to the proper specifications.

Modern diesel cars run on ISO-22241-1, ISO-22241-2, or ISO-22241-3.

If you are unsure which type your car uses, consult your vehicle handbook.

What ever brand you buy, just make sure it has a recent date of manufacture.

I don't believe in stocking up on AdBlue, buy as much as you need and if there's some left in the bottle bin it.

You may also like to consider an additive to reduce crystallization:-

Exhaust Crystal Preventer - Forté

Last edited:
Hope this helps:-
I'll check that out, thanks. Other than the spec though, is spending more on a particular brand unnecessary, or are the cheaper ones as good if the specs are the same?

I get mine from the pump at BP. If you have to trust someone it might as well be them and it's the cheapest way to buy. Plus no spills and auto shut off nozzle.

I get mine from the pump at BP. If you have to trust someone it might as well be them and it's the cheapest way to buy. Plus no spills and auto shut off nozzle.
Likewise, not many around in London though.

Reactions: MD5
Good shout, but nothing round here, pump wise.

Only one I have seen so far was at ESSO in Elgin

I speak only from the experience of a friend of mine who has 3 (or is it 4 ?) Transit vans that do a lot of motorway miles in the hands of (in his words) a 'bunch of numpties'

Previously he had adblue problems as they were either buying it from random petrol stations and/or having it banging about in the back of the vans for ages.

He started buying it himself and storing it in ideal conditions at home and instructed his guys to come only to him for adblue top ups . All of the Adblue related issues went away after that.

UV light is bad for AdBlue, you might then ponder why its sold in clear containers, and even outside in the daylight on the forecourt of some garages.
I would definitely avoid buying any from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom