• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

AdBlue dilemma - C205 C220d

I'd have thought so too, or for it to say level not readable. But I did some quick research and it seems like there are some deletes that mask their presence by pretending it's still full at some plausible level.

We shall see after some experimentation :)
You can also find the controller to see if it's connected or not.

Exactly, filling it up will reveal which of these things is happening. And if it does somehow get overfull, I feel confident I'll be able to extract enough to get it back to a readable level.

That pump thing is really in the way though, I can't see anyone managing to drain the full tank with it designed like this.
If you have the equipment then the pump etc. can be reset, but I believe the tank needs to be full to do this. According to my mechanic anyway.

Saga update. I am now convinced the car has had an adblue delete. I checked again with the endoscope before and after pouring in just a couple of litres of adblue and there was a marked difference in how it looked. I think the tank was nothing but droplets before - bone dry. The reason I didn't realise the camera was scraping the bottom of the tank was because it was just droplets, so I thought it was a tank wall. After pouring in a bit, I could clearly see the liquid level.

I only did a little bit because the anti crystal stuff makes it really foamy and even with only a little bit added it bubbled out of the filler neck and spilled. So I'll just do a bit at a time and test drive it at some point. Anyways I think that's this mystery solved lol. We'll see what happens after I drive it and add more in.

For those who find this in the future and want to drain and refill your tank on a non-adblue-gutted C-Class here are some tips:

You need a syphon, I got a cheap bulb pump kind off of eBay:

1705689423791.png

The hose will probably be too stiff so go back onto ebay and get yourself a 6mm-8mm flexible PVC hose and some plastic pipe reducers to connect the thinner hose to your syphon.

Thread that through your filler neck. There are no obstructions, valves or anything in the filler neck. There is a 90 degree bend and the filler neck walls are quite rough and have some notches and such the pipe can catch on. If it gets stuck just keep twiddling it and trying to bend it until it goes past the 90 degree bend. After that it's a straight shot into the tank, you'll hit the pump thing and then the hose will slide past that to the bottom of the tank where it'll stop. Syphon as much out as you can.

I put the anti-crystal stuff in the adblue before adding it into the tank to mix it - don't know if that's a good idea but this stuff really does froth a lot, it's like detergent. Keep cloths/paper towels nearby - don't get this nasty stuff on your paintwork. My adblue container was leaky as hell with the supplied nozzle thing.

Thank you all for joining me on my adblue saga of discovery ❤️

Had the same issues on my C205 when decided to syphon the tank with a pela 6000. In the end I simply added fresh in with anti crystallising fluid. I then disconnected the adblue injector from the exhaust and cleaned the outlet and the injector itself. And boy did they need doing.
Any chance of a photo of this adblue injector? Never seen one and not exactly knowing where to look or indeed what it even looks like?

Saga update. I am now convinced the car has had an adblue delete. I checked again with the endoscope before and after pouring in just a couple of litres of adblue and there was a marked difference in how it looked. I think the tank was nothing but droplets before - bone dry. The reason I didn't realise the camera was scraping the bottom of the tank was because it was just droplets, so I thought it was a tank wall. After pouring in a bit, I could clearly see the liquid level.

I only did a little bit because the anti crystal stuff makes it really foamy and even with only a little bit added it bubbled out of the filler neck and spilled. So I'll just do a bit at a time and test drive it at some point. Anyways I think that's this mystery solved lol. We'll see what happens after I drive it and add more in.

For those who find this in the future and want to drain and refill your tank on a non-adblue-gutted C-Class here are some tips:

You need a syphon, I got a cheap bulb pump kind off of eBay:

View attachment 152142

The hose will probably be too stiff so go back onto ebay and get yourself a 6mm-8mm flexible PVC hose and some plastic pipe reducers to connect the thinner hose to your syphon.

Thread that through your filler neck. There are no obstructions, valves or anything in the filler neck. There is a 90 degree bend and the filler neck walls are quite rough and have some notches and such the pipe can catch on. If it gets stuck just keep twiddling it and trying to bend it until it goes past the 90 degree bend. After that it's a straight shot into the tank, you'll hit the pump thing and then the hose will slide past that to the bottom of the tank where it'll stop. Syphon as much out as you can.

I put the anti-crystal stuff in the adblue before adding it into the tank to mix it - don't know if that's a good idea but this stuff really does froth a lot, it's like detergent. Keep cloths/paper towels nearby - don't get this nasty stuff on your paintwork. My adblue container was leaky as hell with the supplied nozzle thing.

Thank you all for joining me on my adblue saga of discovery ❤️
Do you think the anti crystal foams because thats what it does when it meets crystals ?

Do you think the anti crystal foams because thats what it does when it meets crystals ?
Hmm I don't think so, I get the feeling the anti-crystal is just some kind of simple solvent and detergent mix. It smelled strongly of solvent and had a surfactants warning on the label. Which I guess would do the trick, surfactants loosen crystal deposits to be dissolved by the solvent? (I have no idea what I'm talking about btw)

Hmm I don't think so, I get the feeling the anti-crystal is just some kind of simple solvent and detergent mix. It smelled strongly of solvent and had a surfactants warning on the label. Which I guess would do the trick, surfactants loosen crystal deposits to be dissolved by the solvent? (I have no idea what I'm talking about btw)
Me neither buddy , but I’ve ordered a hand pump , looks like every chap should have one !

You guys there's more mystery. I wanted to put 5-10l of Adblue in there just in case/don't arouse suspicion when the dealer tries to drain the tank. It took about 2-3l and then overflowed... Like it was properly brimmed at the filler neck, I double checked. I even had to drain some back out cos it was too full for comfort.

At this point I have no idea what the hell has been done to this car lol. I'm super sure it was completely empty when I put the endoscope down there and the adblue range didn't budge at all from being brimmed. Still 6700 miles "full" so I'm still going with adblue deleted but why go through the trouble of fitting some tiny tank to it.

I'm so confused 🙃

You guys there's more mystery. I wanted to put 5-10l of Adblue in there just in case/don't arouse suspicion when the dealer tries to drain the tank. It took about 2-3l and then overflowed... Like it was properly brimmed at the filler neck, I double checked. I even had to drain some back out cos it was too full for comfort.

At this point I have no idea what the hell has been done to this car lol. I'm super sure it was completely empty when I put the endoscope down there and the adblue range didn't budge at all from being brimmed. Still 6700 miles "full" so I'm still going with adblue deleted but why go through the trouble of fitting some tiny tank to it.

I'm so confused 🙃
The mention of a tiny tank sounds like cross border smuggling

I'm so confused 🙃

When I filled my GLC it went Upto 8200 miles range . It seems to count down in 100 mile increments . I also thought mine was deleted but turned out it's just my icarsoft reader for the GLC is pure *ank.

My count is in the 7000's now after 4 months . I just forget about the ad blue now and concentrate on the 620 nm of torque and £1.47 a litre , spewing out of my pocket 😁😁

When I filled my GLC it went Upto 8200 miles range . It seems to count down in 100 mile increments . I also thought mine was deleted but turned out it's just my icarsoft reader for the GLC is pure *ank.

My count is in the 7000's now after 4 months . I just forget about the ad blue now and concentrate on the 620 nm of torque and £1.47 a litre , spewing out of my pocket 😁😁
Same with mine, it used so little adblue it made me wonder what was the point of all these expensive systems fitted to the car when it used about a thimble full a week.

To the OP, I'm just wondering why do you keep filling-up with AdBlue if you're convinced that the car had AdBlue delete?

To the OP, I'm just wondering why do you keep filling-up with AdBlue if you're convinced that the car had AdBlue delete?
He's doing the ad blue , hokey cokey . In out, in out , pour it with the spout . 🤣🤣

lol fair jab. But as I said, just in case I'm wrong/don't arouse suspicion. The dealer should drain and refill every 2 years if a certain mileage hasn't been done. I know nothing is likely to come of it but I'd rather they didn't find a bone dry tank with a gauge saying "full" 🙃 No harm in there being some adblue in the tank.

What if the acoustic AdBlue level sensor was faulty and stuck on 'full'? Presumably you'd get the symptoms that you have now, no?

What if the acoustic AdBlue level sensor was faulty and stuck on 'full'? Presumably you'd get the symptoms that you have now, no?
Possible but it doesn't explain the weirdly small seemingly empty tank. If it was dry then the NOx would rise and it would give an adblue fault from the NOx sensors. So part of filling it up was also to experiment to see if the level would change, which it hasn't and I've driven nearly 100 miles today to give it a chance to read the new level.

But I really can't explain the tank thing. I put the endoscope down there before adding any in and it was nothing but droplets on the floor of the tank. I put maybe 1l in to test, and immediately I could see the difference and submerge the camera in the liquid. So I went to put the rest in thinking it would happily take all 10l but nope, only took about 3 in total.

I have no reasonable explanation at the moment 🙃

In your first post, you say that you've done 1500 miles since you got the car.
My 221 uses about 0.09 liters of Adblue per 100 km. If yours uses about the same you
would have used about 2 liters by now.

IIRC this thread started with a desire to do something, not a fault nor required maintenance. I fear all this messing about may induce a fault - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

IIRC this thread started with a desire to do something, not a fault nor required maintenance. I fear all this messing about may induce a fault - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?
Oh I agree, it started off as a question "what should I do?". I got the very sensible answer of syphon it out and add the anti-crystal - this was always the right course of action and what I'd recommend anyone with 1+ year old adblue in the tank do.

But what should have been a simple job turned into something else entirely because of reasons currently unknown specific to this car and here we are :D

I don't think there's any risk of causing a permanent fault though, if anything just an "adblue level can't be measured" and I can syphon out what I added. But even that hasn't happened. I don't think there's much more I can do now. I'm just trying to work out if the adblue system is working or it's been deleted and if it's working why can't I syphon the tank a single millilitre past the 2-3l I added. And in the end, if I learn that adblue has been deleted in this car I think that's valuable information and worth the journey :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom