Advice needed desperately...Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK sounds like I might be able to do that.
Where is the sender? Is it the same one that's used for ambient temp?

Out of interest, what should the temp reading be when the engine is fully warmed up?

Traffic: low/mid 20's mpg

"Normal" journey from cold (which in my case is about 10 semi rural miles) around 30 MPG

Longer journey A roads/motorway 36-38mpg

Best to date on long haul 40.4mpg

Heavy car, auto and intended for long distance work really. From cold on a short journey you will get lousy MPG: large diesel engine, a lot of metal and fluids to warm up.

Just the way it is although there is a trend towards iffy theromostats making that worse. Not a difficult or expensive fix though.

Satch,
Your figures sound similar to mine.

What does your temp read when engine is fully warmed up?

In 8 years of ownership by S210 gave an average fill to fill of 33-34mpg i never saw over 50mpg even on the computer could sometimes get low 40's on a decent trip but the mpg computer would over read anyhow

Satch,
Your figures sound similar to mine.

What does your temp read when engine is fully warmed up?

Now it reads around 90/95C but just before I changed the thermostat it got as low as 65/70C on motorway, took ages to warm up and mpg was poor

OK need to check mine then. How long should it take to fully warm up (i.e. how many miles?)
Did about five miles this morning and temp got upto about 80 deg.

OK sounds like I might be able to do that.
Where is the sender? Is it the same one that's used for ambient temp?
[b/b]
Out of interest, what should the temp reading be when the engine is fully warmed up?

Just realised how stupid that question is.
Obviously, the ambient temp sensor is used for measuring the ambient temp!! :doh:

A coolant sender must be used for measuring the coolant temp. So where do I find this sender? I'm guessing somewhere near top of engine or radiator?
Is it easy to get to?

Will have a look on EPC when I get home.

Mine takes at least 8/9 miles to warm up fully even after the thermostat change

I had set myself on buying an E320CDi auto estate....but....having seen a few bad ones....and now found what looks like a super example...the owner effectively put me off with rather horrifying consumption figures...like mid 20's on short journeys and...maybe?..35 max on longer trips! Is there anyone out there who can...from their own experience....either confirm...or raise my hopes again? I'd be really grateful for some honest opinions. Thanks.
I'm lucky to get 15mpg around town and around 27mpg on the motorway..!!! :eek:

Economy - who needs it..??? LOL :thumb:

Mid-20s on a very short journey from cold isn't unreasonable, these cars are not ideal for short runs, a small petrol engine is better for that scenario.

I average about 38mpg with mixed motoring, average journey about 20 miles. The best I have seen since I have had it (from new, now 170k) is about 44mpg on a long gentle drive in warm weather.

OK did a bit of motorway stuff today and temp never rose above 80 deg C. (Mostly locked at 70 on CC).
So could thermostat be stuck at a max of 80?

Part itself is less than a tenner but is it a DIY job?
WIS says need to drain the coolant before removing existing sender. Is that right?

Anyone tell me if coolant needs to be drained in order to remove temp sender?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom