• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

After start the oil lamp stays on for approx 30 seconds ??

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
Had my car at the dealership recently.
When I got my car back, on the way home the BAS/ESP suddenly lit up on my dash.

Now everytime I start my car, the oil lamp is lit up for approx 30 sec after start when the other warning lights went off right away.
Turn the ignition ON, all lights lits up, start the car all lights go off but oil lamp stays on for another 30 seconds then go off!?
Before I took my car to dealership this never happened before no BAS/ESP or oil lamp came on suddenly.
WTF?!

Is it bad if oil lamp stays on for another 30 sec after the other lights go off after start?
What about BAS/ESP why did this illuminate suddenly?

What did dealership do to my car?

What engine is this ? I know it can't be an M113 V8 AMG C55 engine as that particular engine has no oil pressure monitoring on it NONE . Crazy , but true.

A little more detail might help us to help you :thumb:

PS . If your car is monitoring the oil pressure leaving the engine running for 30 seconds at a time during the alarm stage is probably not a good idea.

A duff brake light switch situated on the brake pedal used to be a common cause for BAS ESP dash warning illuminations on early 2000's Mercedes. Probably best to ring the dealership who have just worked on your car. Low oil pressure (no guage?) would worry me. Bad non OE oil filter just fitted possibly? O rings missed out if the oil filter is the insert type (not a screw on filter)?

What engine is this ? I know it can't be an M113 V8 AMG C55 engine as that particular engine has no oil pressure monitoring on it NONE . Crazy , but true.

A little more detail might help us to help you :thumb:

PS . If your car is monitoring the oil pressure leaving the engine running for 30 seconds at a time during the alarm stage is probably not a good idea.

Sorry, I thought everyone knew what car I had?
It's a C43 AMG 1999 with the M113 engine.
Only oil lamp is in the dash and it lits up for a brief moment approx or less than 30 seconds.
I drove my car today and it drives very nice, it pulls hard, it rumbles from the exhaust like a lion.
Oil lamp illuminated makes me wonder what is going on?

A duff brake light switch situated on the brake pedal used to be a common cause for BAS ESP dash warning illuminations on early 2000's Mercedes. Probably best to ring the dealership who have just worked on your car. Low oil pressure (no guage?) would worry me. Bad non OE oil filter just fitted possibly? O rings missed out if the oil filter is the insert type (not a screw on filter)?

Dealership put in an MB oil filter with the oil change.
Could a missing O-ring cause oli lamp to malfunction?
I checked the oil stick and oil level is between the MIN - MAX.

Brake lights still work on my car.
I suspect dealership did something bad on my car, they were acting really weird when I went to get my car

What type of filter? Some have anti-drainback valves, others don't. Don't know if that is true for MB but it is elsewhere.

What type of filter? Some have anti-drainback valves, others don't. Don't know if that is true for MB but it is elsewhere.
Even without a valve it shouldn't take 30 s to build up enough pressure to extinguish the light unless the sensor is faulty?

I think the first thing I'd have done was go back to the place who serviced it.

Even without a valve it shouldn't take 30 s to build up enough pressure to extinguish the light unless the sensor is faulty?
Agreed, it does sound excessive. But - my knowledge of this is from 4WD SBCs where the canister filter is mounted horizontally and I suspect without the anti-drainback valve the filter's entire contents can return to the sump. Mine is the 2WD with vertical filter so AFAIK it cannot drain back and as I pre-fill after an oil change I don't know how long it would take to fill from empty. Probably not the full 30s. The M113 apears to have a plain paper filter devoid of any valving so I doubt that any of this applies.

That it is a consistent 30s for the light to extinguish suggests (to me) that the sensor isn't at fault (or I'd expect it be more erratic). Yesterday, on firing up my SBC from cold and watching the oil pressure gauge on the dash (yes, GM more generous than MB in instrumentation provision) I detected the slightest (momentary) drop in rpm as full pressure was attained. Perhaps the OP could look for the same coinciding with the light extinguishing to establish that that is actually an indication of oil pressure reaching the required value.

If it was my car I would ask a garage to fit an external pressure gauge and record the pressure and time to stabilise assuming there was a suitable access point.

OP , can you show us a photo of the 'oil' light you are talking about. As far as I know no V8 M113 ever came fitted with an oil pressure monitoring switch that was connected to the dashboard display. Yours might have one , If so I would like to see how to retro fit one to my car , I have seen DIY installations of switches/gauges but never an MB OEM one.

If you have something coming out of the blanking plug (circled in red here) you ill have oil pressure monitoring.

oil press M113.jpg

M113 from front .png

A few thoughts:

1. The low oil pressure warning light is red, not amber. Just making sure it's the low oil pressure warning light that we are talking about.

2. If it is indeed the case that the oil pressure takes longer to build-up after the service, there could be several reasons for that: too low viscosity oil, oil filter without a valve, etc.

3. Just on case the oil pressure is indeed low, I would let the car idle until the warning light goes off.

4. If the light always stays on for 30 seconds regardless, I.e. even when switching of a hot engine and immediately starting the engine again, then I would think it's an electrical malfunction rather than low oil pressure.

5. If the issue is indeed slow oil pressure build-up, then the length of time that the light stays on should vary from time to time depending on engine conditions at the time.

If it's yellow with a wavey line, it's the oil level light. Maybe they have underfilled?

It's yellow light, dealership didn't have the Mobil1 0w40 oil so I brought it my self and paid for the job.
I had 1x 5L jug and 3x 1L bottles.
They gave me back one of the 1L bottles with half the content, so they used approx 7,5L engine oil.

It's genuine MB oilfilter

This didn't happen with oil lamp before I left my car at the dealership.
When you turn on the ignition all lights illuminates, start the car all lights go off, this is the correct procedure.
After I went to the dealership to get my car, I start it and notice the oil lamp is still ON after I had start my car when the other lamps went off.
Clearly they fu**ed up something!

I think the first thing I'd have done was go back to the place who serviced it.

I went there and complained a few days ago, I also went back yesterday on Friday got really pi$$ed off at them why they are such idiots not checking out the car before they released it to me.

OP , can you show us a photo of the 'oil' light you are talking about. As far as I know no V8 M113 ever came fitted with an oil pressure monitoring switch that was connected to the dashboard display. Yours might have one , If so I would like to see how to retro fit one to my car , I have seen DIY installations of switches/gauges but never an MB OEM one.

If you have something coming out of the blanking plug (circled in red here) you ill have oil pressure monitoring.

View attachment 160859

View attachment 160858

There is an oil can in the display of the oil lamp, it's amber.
It's not an oil pressure lamp.
If you want an extra oil pressure gauge you can connect through oil test port in front of the engine, I used a braided hose with fitting.
See my photo, it's 0 to 5 BAR oil pressure gauge, the others are oil temp gauge and volt meter

A few thoughts:

1. The low oil pressure warning light is red, not amber. Just making sure it's the low oil pressure warning light that we are talking about.

2. If it is indeed the case that the oil pressure takes longer to build-up after the service, there could be several reasons for that: too low viscosity oil, oil filter without a valve, etc.

3. Just on case the oil pressure is indeed low, I would let the car idle until the warning light goes off.

4. If the light always stays on for 30 seconds regardless, I.e. even when switching of a hot engine and immediately starting the engine again, then I would think it's an electrical malfunction rather than low oil pressure.

5. If the issue is indeed slow oil pressure build-up, then the length of time that the light stays on should vary from time to time depending on engine conditions at the time.

1: Must be oil pressure lamp with an oil can in it

2: I use same oil like always, Mobile1 0w40

3: I always let my car at idle during cold start until RPM drops to normal, same goes with the illuminating oil lamp until it goes away.

4: Oil lamp only comes on at start procedure never during drive.

5: Something is fishy here, oil lamp NEVER stayed ON before directly after start like it does now.

Some other things happened, I drove my car several times this week on beautiful weather.
On Thursday I went shopping for grocery, came home to leave my food, then went to park my car in my garage, so I start my car and it missed directly on start, I had to remove the key and re-insert then my car fired up at once.
Why did it miss the start???

On Friday my outer temperature display on dash went all black, only mileage and clock now work.
I know that tiptronic cars had dead pixle problems, I don't have any pixle problems on my 99 C43.
This all of a sudden problem has something to do with the other above electronic gremlins.

I suspect service guy at dealership tampered my car, they were acting really fishy towards me when I went to get my car.
All these problems never occured before I took her to the dealership for a job.
They botched everything!

Attachments

• _21_3.JPG
    _21_3.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Dash.JPG
    Dash.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So you are describing low oil level wanting light.

Your engine takes 7.5l of oil with filter, so either they spilled some or there is a faulty oil level sensor. They are quite common for failing. Especially if you have confirmed the level on the dipstick correctly.

To be clear . The non OEM gauge is fed from the port circled in the photo post #11 ?

You have highlighted the test port with a red circle in post #11.
Here I have attached a braided hose with a sender placed on top of the engine.

Gauges are genuine VDO which has the same design as the original MB/AMG cluster

Last edited:
So you are describing low oil level wanting light.

Your engine takes 7.5l of oil with filter, so either they spilled some or there is a faulty oil level sensor. They are quite common for failing. Especially if you have confirmed the level on the dipstick correctly.

Oil level is correct, I check the stick and oil is between MIN - MAX.
With the other electronic gremlins I noticed after I picked up my car I doubt my oil level sender all of a sudden just broke down while dealership had possession of my car.
My car worked and drove perfectly before I took it to dealership, now it's not anymore.
HEDIN AUTOMOTIVE, what can you say about this dealership?
They have not many fans do they although the owner is the sole automotive emperor in entire Europe. 💩💩

I assume all of the 'O' rings are in the correct place on the filter post ? I get my filters from MB and there is always an extra 'O' ring in the kit supplied. Thee is no where for to go on my car so it just gets put in 'stock' .

I just assume there might be a different design on other MB cars many of which use this filter configuration.

oil filter post.JPG

If it's the top mounted filter as above, It's easy enough to check if the O rings are fitted. Just slacken off the filter and leave it loose for a few minutes to allow oil to drain into the sump then you can remove it for inspection without making a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom