All you wanted to know about Comand APS NTG 2.5

Do you find this thread informative ??

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You dont need SCN coding to get into the engineers menu.

From post #39 I take it you got into the engineers menu using the combination I posted. The combination in post #1 of this thread is wrong. As you found there is no option to enable video in motion in the engineers menu.

Also the interface Mark linked to is wrong, it is for the old cd based Comand 2.5 so not for NTG2.5 but you need the same thing but for NTG2.5, just search ebay or google.

How can I tell which map version is loaded onto the HDD? I am supposed to have the free three year updates amd want to make sure it was done at the last service

It is in the engineering menu. Hangup + * + 6 you need to use to get into the engineering menu

I know this is a little old but thought I would add some of my own findings after owning a W211 with NTG 2.5 for a couple of months.

Overall it’s decent but the let downs for me are the mediocre sound quality, the lack of iPod integration without hideously expensive add ons, the limited size of the Music Register (4GB – why so mean?) and the 256 folder limit whether using the Register, SD card or DVD/CD.

On the plus side, it is worth pointing out that you can also play AAC files (as well as MP3 and WMA as stated in the manual). In fact, it also plays HE-AAC, even though I seem to be the only person in the world who uses this format. And I will be absolutely honest, I cannot hear the difference on my NTG2.5 (or even on my iPod with £200 phones) between 48kbps HE-AAC and uncompressed audio. Yes, you read that right, 48kbps. Try it for yourself.

(Note however that although the DVD/CD will play AAC files, it seems to have problems reading the folder names correctly.)

This might lead one to conclude you can cram loads more music onto the music register etc but unfortunately it’s the limit applied to the total number of folders that is the major hurdle, for me at least.

I therefore have music on the Register, SD card and DVD, and it’s a pain in the bum remembering which is on which, switching between them and updating them when I add new music.

Does anyone have any clever solutions or workarounds to get over the folder limit?

Last edited:
Hi Guys

This is my first post here so forgive me if is in the wrong place, and mod feel free to move or delete.

Ok I have just retro fitted a comand NTG 2.5 into my 2007 Sprinter , and the guy I got if from stated that it had just been update, could you guys have a look at the picture below and let me know what you think any info would be great , maps etc

the unit as an assembly date of 29/11/08 according to the label on top

Thanks Guys

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
The map and the firmware is old.

Map, the latest (European!!) version that is generally available is Version 8. In the screen with the 'Navi Database' details, that will give
NTG2.5eu-Vol2.0
HDD contents: 8.001.2301
GPS Receiver: GPSLIB-R14.00.00
DVD firmware: 1.730
CDDB 3775 0

The next version is due to be available to buy real soon and is Version 9. It shows
NTG2.5eu-Vol1.0
HDD contents: 9.001.2301
GPS Receiver: GPSLIB-R14.00.00
DVD firmware: 1.760
CDDB 4697 0

Watch this page, we'll update it when the new version is available to buy: http://www.commandonline.co.uk/comand-aps-mapdvd-ntg2.5-europe.html

The map update disk contain the CDDB (track/album database), which is why that is on that screen.

As to firmware, if i look at the Bluetooth Version page (as I know that firmware is updated when you do a firmware update with Star Diagnosis and not changed by the map disk like some of the other navi versions may be), current on NTG2.5 on a SL and on a ML

BT Software: 2.0036.10
BT Firmware: 2.0038.11

By 'current' I mean that I plugged car into Star Diagnosis and it didn't want to firmware update the NTG2.5 as it already had the latest version for that head unit in that vehicle.

Richard

Hi,

I just got an NTG2.5 unit and put it on my MY2006 W211
The functions works fine except navigation system.

When I press the NAVI button, the system told me to wait to startup the navi system, but it never turns on for somehow I don't know.

I enter to engineering mode to check my version of unit, here is the information of my unit, please help to identify it.

by the way, the part number of my NTG2.5 is A211 870 55 94
I can't find any information of this part number, where is it from ?

thanks you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 121
a) Have you connected the GPS antenna
b) I would try installing a new map and see what happens
c) If not, it sounds like the hard disk is broken, so I would talk to whoever sold you the unit.

Richard

Thank you Richard.

I'm sure that the GPS antenna was connected well, because I check the connection in the engineering menu, all green. And the head unit can get correct date and time from GPS, it also shows the satellites information(like how many satellite has been found)

I will try to install new map as your suggestion, but the question is, what map should I get ? I don't know the original map data in my unit >"<

can you give me more advise ? thanks.

Comand and abs wheel sensors

Had the front nearside abs/ebd sensor replaced in my w164 today.......while it was broken the map on the ntg 2.5 rotated whilst driving but there was no forward progress on the display.......Could I guess at saying that the signal from the satelites is not continuous and the sat nav " dead recons " using the forward signal of the wheel sensor until another satelite fix is recieved....?

Had the front nearside abs/ebd sensor replaced in my w164 today.......while it was broken the map on the ntg 2.5 rotated whilst driving but there was no forward progress on the display.......Could I guess at saying that the signal from the satelites is not continuous and the sat nav " dead recons " using the forward signal of the wheel sensor until another satelite fix is recieved....?

Yes. The system uses the speed signal to do accurate matching of where you are to the map. And yes, it is one of the front wheel speed signals that is what ends up being used.

R

what type of connection from the hard disk? SATA or PATA

HDD connector is PATA, any one tried to upgrade to SSD?

Lost cost PATA SSD with industrial temperature are available with reasonable cost, like Super Talent DuraDrive ET3 64GB 2.5 inch IDE. Have any one tried to do such upgrade? Any good result out there?

For what purpose? Reliability? Improved shock resistance? More storage space? Just curious.

I have heard of others that have tried and failed - the firmware is picky about what drive is in there. Remember automotive drives are *not* the same as industrial drives

a) They have more shock resistance as car is nasty environment ..
b) They run cooler - this means running slower amongst others - given the lack of ventilation in a COMAND unit ..

Richard

hi i have NTG 2.5 COMAND with radio problem it shows device not available

NTG 2.5 COMAND with radio problem it shows device not available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom