• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Alloy Wheel Balance Weights

steve.link

Car
AUDI A8, SHOGUN 3.2DID
I have been reading the several threads about lacquer damage and the fact that MB now replace with new wheels.

My car is 3 weeks old and the wheels are all fine but I have noticed that the tyre balance weights are fitted to the outside of the rim. When the wheels need re balancing or new tyres are fitted isn't it inevitable that the lacquer will be damaged by removing/refitting these weights?

Any other owners had experience of this?

Wheels are standard Elegance 13 hole 7.5J X 16 a a E320CDI

These 'clip-on' weights are more expensive than the stick on weights! Also interesting that they must all be lead-free now!

Any half reputable tyre fitter should be putting the wheel weights on the inside of the wheel, when balancing alloy wheels.

They should never be on the outside on alloys.

The weights are as fitted by MB from the factory. Murray Systems are you saying these are "clip on" and will not damage the wheel? I have not looked at them close up but they do appear different to the normal "hammer on" lead weights.

Must admit the weights on my Shogun and previous car (Peugeot 607) had "stick on" on the inner rim.

Any weight that is attatched to the outside of the rim looks ugly and ruins the entire finish of the alloy wheel.

MB's new policy/guide lines are now to use "stick" on weights on all alloy wheels mounted onto teh inside of the rim and nothing on the outside of the rim due to the number of "corrosion" claims made against them becasue of this.

Flash,

Do you think I should have mine removed and fitted on the inside of the rim, or is damage already done?

Flash said:
Any weight that is attatched to the outside of the rim looks ugly and ruins the entire finish of the alloy wheel.

MB's new policy/guide lines are now to use "stick" on weights on all alloy wheels mounted onto teh inside of the rim and nothing on the outside of the rim due to the number of "corrosion" claims made against them becasue of this.
Maybe they changed policy and changed back again or something, but my 18mth old C270 (Estate, so German built) came with stick on weights on the inside of the wheel.

steve.link said:
Flash,

Do you think I should have mine removed and fitted on the inside of the rim, or is damage already done?

To be honest I think that part of the lacquer most likely has already been broken with the weights added on the outside of the rim but should hopefully be nothing that cannot be touched up to prevent serious corrosion. I would go for the stick on weights that are mounted to the inside of the wheel. The alloys look much better and cleaner/fresher.

I personally would contact MB Customer Services and make up some excuse that your car needed new tyres or the wheels were not properly balanced upon hand over and that you had to have the wheels re-balanced and that the "original" stick on weights on the outside of the rim had broken the lacquer as a result of this (which unfortunately they have most likely done so or even taken a chunk of paint off in the worse scenario) and will be quite visible to even photograph and ask for replacement wheels... ;) If you get the re-balancing done by a Stealership then you may even have a better chance of a successful claim and take pics with a digital camera of the wheels "before" (with time/date) and "after" the weights from the outside have been removed.

Rory said:
Maybe they changed policy and changed back again or something, but my 18mth old C270 (Estate, so German built) came with stick on weights on the inside of the wheel.

It is possible that your Stealership balanced the wheels for you as alot of cars are delivered from the factory and upon PDI the Stealership is supposed to do the wheel balancing...

Stick on weights are the best but if you are going for new tyres it may be worth removing the old weights yourself first.

I can just see the "skilled technician" in the tyre shop with a bloody great screwdriver prising them off your lovely shiney alloys.

Had the dealer take a look at the wheels today. The Service Manager advised the weights were fitted by MB (I guess I already knew that!) and, therefore, if the wheels were damaged by removal of the weights when the tyres are changed or the wheels rebalanced it would be covered under warrenty.

I will be taking photographs of the wheels and writing to the Service Manager so there is arguement in 6 months or so when the tyres require replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom