Alloy wheel refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzclk

Car
An AMG
So I would like to put the original AMGs back onto my car, but they are in dire condition and need a stripdown and new powder coat / re-spray.

Can anyone on here recommend somewhere that isn't too expensive.

I'm thinking about City Powder Coating in Brum. at £30 a wheel for a same day service (drop off at 8.30 and collect by 4.30 sounds good to me,

Can't see anyone else coming closer to that.

WRT colour, shall I stick to silver or go for something a bit more newer, like gun metal or anthracite?

Suggestions welcome and recommendations welcome, I would rather get it done in London or Essex but I'm not paying 50-60 per wheel.

I know city powder coating isn't perfect but it's a 9 year old car and I will kerb the wheels.:fail

here is a link to what my wheels and car colour are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-07-M...8267722?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e988b09ca

£30 sounds cheap for a refurb. Presumably that's the cost without removing and refitting wheels from car, removing and refitting tyres, fitting new valves and balancing, and the dreaded VAT. Given the time and effort involved in doing it properly it sounds like a bargain. Just be sure to check the colour swatch is what you really want.

In my experience,

Powder coating = dull finish.
Silver painted = nice but good for 18 months max
Aftermarket alloys = reduce the value of your car
New OEM alloys = best option but far too expensive and they aren't as durable as they used to be as all the manufacturers are using water based paints nowadays.

Vanity aside, 16" steel wheels is the way to go!

This is not always true, but you do tend to get what you pay for with cheap refurbs - a cheap job that doesn't last.

I've had very good experiences with Lepsons and can honestly say that a wheel refurbed by them looks as good as and lasts as well as a new OEM wheel. Their price is £220 +VAT for a set of four bare wheels up to 18" dia., including courier collection and delivery.

Agree with St13Phil: Mine were split rims, oven baked with about 10 of the titanium studs replaced at £8 a stud: £75 plus vat per wheel.

When it comes to refurbing alloys - you definitely get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom